Orioles Acquire Corbin Burnes for Ortiz/Hall/34th Pick

DirtySox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

If you think Hall can actually start, then there is some logic to the move for the Brewers.  That’s a big if though.  I would expect Adames to traded next though.

Counting the draft pick, they have up to 19.5 potential years of player control coming back for a guy they had 1 year of control of, in a season where they were already hurting. This is the exact kind of move the Brewers always make - if they get a high level reliever out of this and a decent infielder, they're good, that reliever is a guy they can use for 4 years and then trade.

Always thought Cease should be traded for a package built around a middle infielder, of which Baltimore didn't have any to trade besides Poortiz (not considering Holliday), so I'm not all that sad about this. Still, wish Burnes went to a team that wasn't there to potentially drive up Cease's asking price. Good get for the O's though. I think we're finding that Cease needs half a season to up his trade value in order to return something along the lines of what the Reds got for Castillo.

Castillo's season prior to the trade (2021) wasn't lights out, similar to Cease. his 2020 wasn't that hot either. But he was incredible the first half of 2022 and I'm enough of a homer to think Cease will return to form next year. I don't think he has to be traded before Spring Training. 

Edited by nrockway

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It doesn’t completely satisfy the Orioles needs at all.  The Orioles need starting pitching for more than just one year, which is what Burnes will be for them.  Their competitive window is not one season.

Allows them a year to get their ownership stuff situated even more.  It’s an amazing deal for them.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No, but it completely satisfies the Orioles need for pitching and does so without sacrificing their best prospects. 

The fact that Burnes and Bieber were both likely available was an obvious thing that would undercut the market for Cease, they would be available for a much lower prospect price.

Ok I can accept that, thought you were trying to downplay ceases value

Just now, fathom said:

Allows them a year to get their ownership stuff situated even more.  It’s an amazing deal for them.

It’s a no-brainer for what they gave up, but they will have to go through the same search next offseason as well, via free agency or trade.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It doesn’t completely satisfy the Orioles needs at all.  The Orioles need starting pitching for more than just one year, which is what Burnes will be for them.  Their competitive window is not one season.

But they can absolutely rethink things next offseason, or even at the trade deadline if they have to. This is what they needed - a solid starter obtained without giving up any of their top flight prospects. 

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s a no-brainer for what they gave up, but they will have to go through the same search next offseason as well, via free agency or trade.

And if it works, heck maybe they're doing that search next offseason coming off a WS appearance or title. Oh, and they get an extra 2025 draft pick out of this.

Or maybe someone from their system steps up, or a surprising trade becomes available. Stranger things do happen with pitchers. Or maybe they decide to make an all-in move for a pitcher at the deadline. Either way, it fills their need well at a low price.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

And if it works, heck maybe they're doing that search next offseason coming off a WS appearance or title. Oh, and they get an extra 2025 draft pick out of this.

Or maybe someone from their system steps up, or a surprising trade becomes available. Stranger things do happen with pitchers. Or maybe they decide to make an all-in move for a pitcher at the deadline. Either way, it fills their need well at a low price.

IIRC Grayson Rodriguez pitched really well in the 2nd half. 

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Probably more surprising that Elias gave up the pick moreso than the two players.

He traded a 2024 Sandwich pick (are they still called that?) for a likely 2025 Sandwich pick (barring injury). Or compensatory pick, or whatever.

• Like 2

Just now, FT35 said:

1. I would have been pissed if this was the return on Cease.  

2. This might force NYY or BOS hand.  

I don’t see a path to a trade unless the Mariners interest was serious.  Seems like none of these teams (Orioles, Yankees, etc.) want to give up their top prospects for a starter.

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don’t see a path to a trade unless the Mariners interest was serious.  Seems like none of these teams (Orioles, Yankees, etc.) want to give up their top prospects for a starter.

And Getz turned off teams by asking for too much :)

Just now, Balta1701 said:

He traded a 2024 Sandwich pick (are they still called that?) for a likely 2025 Sandwich pick (barring injury). Or compensatory pick, or whatever.

True, he basically swapped similar picks.  That makes more sense then, since Elias is a draft hoarder.