Gregory Santos Traded to Mariners for P Prelander Berroa, OF Zach DeLoach and 69th pick

DirtySox

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Fine, I was wrong, but I probably wouldn’t do this if I was Seattle. 

I think I’d do this for both teams honestly. They didn’t give up any highly touted prospects. If Santos is for real it’s a steal for them since they’re in contention. Sox didn’t need to take that risk since they’ll be terrible the next 3 years

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think I’d do this for both teams honestly. They didn’t give up any highly touted prospects. If Santos is for real it’s a steal for them since they’re in contention. Sox didn’t need to take that risk since they’ll be terrible the next 3 years

Agreed, but you make a trade like this all day every day with the flakiness of relievers from year to year, as well as Santos’s ghost injury.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I’m thinking specifically of his arm. I wouldn’t deal for a guy whose season ended with elbow soreness. Good luck with that to Seattle.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Also the heart of the Royals' approach in 2014-15 relied on having one of the best lockdown pens in the history of the modern game.

Follow...the Royals, not money here.

For an emulation of similar blueprints.

…like Hahn did?

seemed like a really bad trade until I looked at DeLoachs stats and realized hes our new backup LF/RF lol. a 35+ grade but did pretty well in AAA 🤷‍♂️

Berroa has nasty stuff with no command but selling on Santos was probably the right move

edit: did not see the fletcher trade 😆

Edited by scotty22hotty

Seems worth noting that both Berroa and Santos were with Bannister's Giants... 

Make a similar set of tweaks to help his stuff play consistently at the MLB level, and you get an extra year of control, an OF, and a draft pick for the trouble? I guess.

Lane Ramsey DFA'd to make room, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him claimed.

• Like 1

I don't think they're gonna need the $1 mil to up who they can get at 5. More likely they'll use some of that money to get a better player at 69. The top of this draft simply is not good enough to throw money at anyone. Maybe someone will emerge, but right now the top 5 guys in 2023 would all be clear 1-1 in this draft.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Berroa is super intriguing. M's bloggers were excited he'd get a shot after Topa was traded away. This one is curious from Seattle's side, but I love the return for the Sox.

He has good stuff.  It will be interesting to see if the Sox move him back to a starter.

One thing I like about these two trades, when taken together, is that Getz is trying to create competition in Spring Training and into the early part of the year. They have such little talent and such poor depth that setting up some roster churn and giving opportunities to players like Fletcher, DeLoach, and Shewmake might yield one cromulent regular somewhere on the field.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Regarding Deloach, he feels like one of those mediocre LHH that always come to the Cell and get 2-3 bombs in a series. For whatever reason, Sox have really struggled to find LH hitters with pop that actually work out for them. Maybe this guy will actually take advantage of playing half his season in a bandbox that should be a haven for guys with pop from the left side. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic