Gregory Santos Traded to Mariners for P Prelander Berroa, OF Zach DeLoach and 69th pick

DirtySox

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

One thing I like about these two trades, when taken together, is that Getz is trying to create competition in Spring Training and into the early part of the year. They have such little talent and such poor depth that setting up some roster churn and giving opportunities to players like Fletcher, DeLoach, and Shewmake might yield one cromulent regular somewhere on the field.

I was just wondering about this in the context of churning the roster, with guys like Pillar and all the other non roster invitees aren’t they about to need a whole bunch of roster spots? 

Just now, WestEddy said:

I'd bet a lot more happens before now and opening day, but Davis Martin will probably open the season on the 60 day IL

I’d imagine that several of the NRI pitchers and so forth will make the roster early.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I was just wondering about this in the context of churning the roster, with guys like Pillar and all the other non roster invitees aren’t they about to need a whole bunch of roster spots? 

Well, sure, but maybe he’s done.  If he doesn’t earn a spot, release him.  They have other guys, especially in the pitching staff where, if they don’t look good, you release them. I think Gavin Sheets has moved firmly on the bubble for the 40 man. If they determine that DeLoach and Fletcher are better, dump Sheets. The point of a roster churn is to Marie Kondo the whole thing. If a player does not bring you joy, discard him. That way, you end up with the best version of your 40 man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It should be the end of Sheets.  Maldonado or Lopez can backup 1B in a pinch.  🤣

Very unlikely with no upper minors 1B and Sheets having two options. Is hopefully the end of Sheets on the big league roster for now, tho. 

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Well, sure, but maybe he’s done.  If he doesn’t earn a spot, release him.  They have other guys, especially in the pitching staff where, if they don’t look good, you release them. I think Gavin Sheets has moved firmly on the bubble for the 40 man. If they determine that DeLoach and Fletcher are better, dump Sheets. The point of a roster churn is to Marie Kondo the whole thing. If a player does not bring you joy, discard him. That way, you end up with the best version of your 40 man.

Marie has now reversed her stance on over simplifying/consolidating lol.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

I feel like with the number of NRIs we’ve seen, guys like Colas and Sosa don’t have long.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I feel like with the number of NRIs we’ve seen, guys like Colas and Sosa don’t have long.

I think Sosa has a clear shot at playing time if his bat comes alive. I also think Getz may have wanted to secure some OF dudes before looking for anybody giving Colas that come-hither look. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I could see that. Sosa looked considerably better in September last year, but if they continue to not walk at the rate they showed last year, hard to see either competing at the mlb level.  Look at the pitching staff though.  Drohan faces long odds making the team, then I can imagine any of Banks, Foster, Lambert, Deivi Garcia, Peralta, Scholtens, Speas, or Toussaint failing to make the team and getting the DFA.  Lotta people who are far from untouchable on this roster.

23 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I think Sosa has a clear shot at playing time if his bat comes alive. I also think Getz may have wanted to secure some OF dudes before looking for anybody giving Colas that come-hither look. 

He’s gotta be the backup IF at this point right? He could steal at bats away easily.

Santos is only 23, has a ton of control, and had a really good year last year:  low walk and low home run rates.  He had value.

I understand the need to trade a reliever, but not sure that the Sox extracted top value.  The best prospect is a reliever, and only 9 months younger than Santos.
And the draft pick - what is that worth?  The Sox 2nd and 3rd picks from the last draft are like the 20th ranked prospects in this below average system.    

But there's nothing really to fear with this trade because the ceiling of what we gave up is basically certain.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Santos is only 23, has a ton of control, and had a really good year last year:  low walk and low home run rates.  He had value.

I understand the need to trade a reliever, but not sure that the Sox extracted top value.  The best prospect is a reliever, and only 9 months younger than Santos.
And the draft pick - what is that worth?  The Sox 2nd and 3rd picks from the last draft are like the 20th ranked prospects in this below average system.    

But there's nothing really to fear with this trade because the ceiling of what we gave up is basically certain.  

I see your point but I think Berroa's floor is as a multi-inning reliever and that he still has the ability to start. I believe the M's moved him to the bullpen last season because he couldn't control the ball and evidently lost faith that he ever will be able to. otherwise, his stuff is meteoric. I think you have to bet on his upside. 

I'm starting to feel like a fool because I've said this about all the pitchers we've signed this offseason, but maybe Bannister and co can do something for him that the Mariners staff could not in terms of getting the ball over the plate. There clearly seems to be a plan on the pitching side of things and I'm somewhat optimistic that it will produce fruit. Regardless, there are a ton of exciting young guys on this team to watch pitch and maybe one of them can become an ace and 2 or 3 of the rest can join a MLB rotation. 

Frankly, I dunno what the Mariners really get out of this deal. Yes, Santos is a high quality reliever, but their assortment of moves this offseason come off as a jumbled mess. Are they trying to save salary or are they trying to win? if they're trying to win, to my eye they're doing a really bad job at it.

44 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Berroa was in the Giants org before he was traded to Seattle. 

Also, Santos has been traded away from three Bannister orgs now. Red Sox > Giants > White Sox > Mariners.

So I guess if Bannister gets poached by the Mariners in a few years, look out for Santos to be moved again.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

And given his "forearm soreness" that shut him down in September he could also be heading for TJS. 

• Thanks 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic