ST Thread

pcq

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, that's true too but I'm just saying teams usually can plan on it when there are days off. Not saying they have to anoint a 5th starter (as it seems you are alluding that I am), just saying that without a PPD, your first starter can't really go games 1 and 5. A postponement would make it possible to skip. But if you can't plan on it the first time through the rotation, you would need a bullpen game.

Someone is going to have to eat some innings during the second week of the season to give starters their proper rest, be an actual 5th starter or pen game. There's no way around it. Counting on the weather to buy an off day is probably a bad idea, even for an org as dumb as this one.

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Is Chuckie Robinson wrangling his way onto the 26-man? He's hanging around a lot for an unknown NRI. 

I'd keep him over the two washed up vets, but I doubt he makes the OD roster. Pedro is going to want to keep his security blanket(s) around. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Someone is going to have to eat some innings during the second week of the season to give starters their proper rest, be an actual 5th starter or pen game. There's no way around it. Counting on the weather to buy an off day is probably a bad idea, even for an org as dumb as this one.

I could see them holding on to a couple of these MiLB contract guys for an extra week or two by creatively managing the roster to drag out their having to make 40 man roster moves.  The wild card is always what kind of opt out date that guys who signed MiLB deals, but may not be worth cutting someone else to keep around.  If that date is after opening day, maybe they get sent to Charlotte for a week/month so that they can kick that can down the road to see about injuries etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I could see them holding on to a couple of these MiLB contract guys for an extra week or two by creatively managing the roster to drag out their having to make 40 man roster moves.  The wild card is always what kind of opt out date that guys who signed MiLB deals, but may not be worth cutting someone else to keep around.  If that date is after opening day, maybe they get sent to Charlotte for a week/month so that they can kick that can down the road to see about injuries etc.

I'm too lazy to look up who might be optionable as to rotate fresh arms during the start of the season. But you're probably right about some of the 40 man fodder. If their release date is after opening day, that might help ease some of the innings load.

Speaking of roster options...

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/white-soxs-brad-keller-had-thoracic-outlet-surgery/

Keller underwent thoracic outlet syndrome surgery over the offseason, Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Keller dealt with thoracic outlet syndrome symptoms on a couple occasions last season while with the Royals and evidently at some point opted for surgery. He inked a minor-league deal with the White Sox last week and "threw the ball really well" during a recent live batting practice session, per manager Pedro Grifol. Keller is expected to begin the season at Triple-A Charlotte but could become an option for Chicago's rotation before long.

Been reading a little about Sox spring training while also noticing the Cubs have some great closer and a 40 HR guy at 3B. Interesting (I'm attempting to follow both teams this year since the White Sox have offended me as a fan by having to pull another tank/rebuild job.

Fletcher has had a horrific spring at the plate (.159, .260 .205, .465) with no Hrs, two RBI.

DeJong has had a nice spring; ditto Eloy except he's not elevating; Moose is over the hill; Benintendi has a good OBP; Luis is struggling but we know he's our one star, he's OK by me; Moncada has been excellent getting on base but has shown no power (this team will hit so few HRs it'll make our heads spin); Maldy is an automatic out as is Max Stassi.  Lee has hit well but I'm thinking he is no major league stud. Nicky Lopez has been OK. Sheetz and Vaughn have hit some, too. Except for DeJong and Eloy, nobody's knocking in runs and Sheets is the only slugger lifting the ball over the fence.

In summary, Sox have had good on base percentage and hitting for average during spring but have no power on the roster and no RBI power.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I still think it's insane for there to be talk of him reaching Chicago this year when he's barely had a cup of coffee in AA. If he's the prize in the Cease trade, FFS don't rush him to the bigs chasing a few extra wins in a lost season.

image.jpeg

how much use do we get out of this this year

• Haha 4
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

8 hours ago, Chimpton said:

That's the big issue, given how few innings he has pitched over the last 2 seasons it would be crazy to expect him to be a regular starter this season. It would be better long term to have him starting in AAA but we all know that won't happen.

I believe his MLB service time clock would remain frozen if he breaks down in Charlotte.

Whereas if he does the same on opening day or a subsequent April start, doubling his start total this decade and surpassing 3 1/3 innings for the first time since the 2010s, it will continue accruing.

I mean he has 12 1/3 innings as a starter under his belt this decade plus one more start later this week. What could possibly go wrong?

13 “Starts” - Tennessee 2018-2020

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=croche000gar

4 “Starts” - Spring Training 2024

https://www.mlb.com/player/garrett-crochet-676979?stats=gamelogs-s-pitching-mlb&year=2024

12 1/3 Innings as a 2020s Starter:

Yes, let’s put added pressure on him to start on Opening Day since it will be our only crowd until after the trade deadline when the Cubs and Yankees visit in mid August.

• Fire 1

Old friend Jake Burger hit his first HR of the spring today, raising his ST line to .139/.162/.250. Hopefully it gets him going, he had a sub-.300 OPS before today.

Tim is hitting .194/.194/.323 in 31 AB.

Declan Cronin has been pitching very well in Marlins camp  with a 2.16 ERA and <1 WHIP in 8+ innings.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Pedro said the last 5 games of ST is everyone full speed.

Guess that will help give us a rough idea of how many games they are going to lose this year. I'll say three out of every five.