ST Thread

pcq

Guessing this is the 26-

OD Lineup-

Benintendi, Moncada, Robert, Jimenez, Vaughn, DeJong, Pillar, Maldonado, Lopez

Bench-

Fletcher, Shewmake, Sheets, Lee

Rotation-

Crochet, Soroka, Fedde, Flexen, (Nastrini)

Bullpen-

Shaw, Banks, Kopech, Garcia, Leone, Hill, Leasure, Wilson, Brebbia

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1

I would like to know more about this. From an article on the Sox website:

“In hindsight, I thought he was being very vague with me on the reasons why I wasn’t going to make the team,” Pillar said. “I was able to talk to some people within the industry, agents, union and stuff, and understand what Getzy was facing, things he couldn’t say, reasons he couldn’t give me. There’s a lot of things I’ve been through in this game, and that was not one of them.

“Definitely more informed on the rules and things that can be said and can’t be said. Didn’t necessarily think it was going to be an opportunity to maybe come back, but more time had passed and he was able to give me some more information of what happened.”

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/kevin-pillar-re-signs-with-white-sox-after-release

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/kevin-pillar-re-signs-with-white-sox-after-release

"We want you on the team but don't want to pay you 3 million. Admitting to gaming the system is likely some sort of MLBPA violation so I won't say more. Maybe you'll hear from me in a couple days though"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 2

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Strange.  Getz probably just didn't want to say "listen dude, we're not paying you $3M.  It has to be the MLB min.  So I am going to release you, and then if you're interested at MLB min, lmk," 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Strange.  Getz probably just didn't want to say "listen dude, we're not paying you $3M.  It has to be the MLB min.  So I am going to release you, and then if you're interested at MLB min, lmk," 

Was it confirmed to be league minimum? The only thing I can find about the amount (in the article on whitesox.com) was that it was less than the $3M agreement prior.

25 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Was it confirmed to be league minimum? The only thing I can find about the amount (in the article on whitesox.com) was that it was less than the $3M agreement prior.

I haven't seen it confirmed, no.  I am assuming something between $770k league min to $1M though. 

Sportrac doesn't have it yet. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Pretty simple.  If Getz was given some truth serum, he would say, “We want you on the team but my boss doesn’t want to pay you the $3 million we had agreed to.”

Pillar sure sounds pissed off that he is going into this level of detail, saying things like he has never dealt with a situation with a team like this, etc.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Pretty simple.  If Getz was given some truth serum, he would say, “We want you on the team but my boss doesn’t want to pay you the $3 million we had agreed to.”

Pillar sure sounds pissed off that he is going into this level of detail, saying things like he has never dealt with a situation with a team like this, etc.

He didn't have to come back. 

10 minutes ago, hi8is said:

My guess is that they were discussing another FA or a trade that was close, believing it would be done.

I think they let him opt out (that was the date veterans could opt out and the article also said it’s not confirmed if he did or not) to see if he could get a better guarantee. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I haven't seen it confirmed, no.  I am assuming something between $770k league min to $1M though. 

Sportrac doesn't have it yet. 

It’s $1M, prorated for days on the MLB roster, with additional bonuses for plate appearances up to $500k ($50k for 150 PA and each additional 25 through 375 PA).

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/former-blue-jay-kevin-pillar-gets-1-million-salary-in-new-deal-with-chicago-white-sox-1.6821750

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, hi8is said:

My guess is that they were discussing another FA or a trade that was close, believing it would be done.

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think they let him opt out (that was the date veterans could opt out and the article also said it’s not confirmed if he did or not) to see if he could get a better guarantee. 

That's what I was thinking, on both of these, like they were near on a trade, and they'd give him a chance to shop himself around. But the way Pillar looked in that interview, cutting him to resign him a day later to save a million or two doesn't seem outrageous. 

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

That's what I was thinking, on both of these, like they were near on a trade, and they'd give him a chance to shop himself around. But the way Pillar looked in that interview, cutting him to resign him a day later to save a million or two doesn't seem outrageous. 

Seems like a leap to make the assumption that they were trying to acquire another free agent or trade target.  They just signed Grossman (yes, opposite side of hitting platoon) but likely just didn’t want to pay Pillar $3 million and saw an opportunity to save $2 million.  Look at the rest of the Sox bench.  No one else is making anywhere near that kind of money.  I realize Stassi is no longer making the opening day roster due to injury, but the Braves are paying the majority of our originally planned backup catcher’s salary.  Their starting SS DeJong is making a paltry $1.75 million.

Remember the talk about the Sox being interested in Lorenzen or Clevinger due to trading away Cease’s $8 million salary?  Where did those talks go?  Once one of those options signs elsewhere, you just pocket the payroll?  What kind of one year deal would Montgomery be willing to sign for at this point?  He would be a great flip candidate.  But it sure seems like the Sox never planned on spending Cease’s freed up $8 million to begin with.

This offseason was about cutting payroll, so $2 million more for a bench player was deemed no small amount and Getz took the opportunity to cut the payroll even more.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Seems like a leap to make the assumption that they were trying to acquire a different outfielder.  They just signed Grossman (yes, opposite side of hitting platoon) but likely just didn’t want to pay Pillar $3 million and saw an opportunity to save $2 million.  Look at the rest of the Sox bench.  No one else is making anywhere near that kind of money.  I realize Stassi is no longer making the opening day roster due to injury, but the Braves are paying the majority of our originally planned backup catcher’s salary.  Their starting SS DeJong is making a paltry $1.75 million.

Remember the talk about the Sox being interested in Lorenzen or Clevinger due to trading away Cease’s $8 million salary?  Where did those talks go?  Once one of those options signs elsewhere, you just pocket the payroll?  What kind of one year deal would Montgomery be willing to sign for at this point?  He would be a great flip candidate.  But it sure seems like the Sox never planned on spending Cease’s freed up $8 million to begin with.

This offseason was about cutting payroll, so $2 million more for a bench player was deemed no small amount and Getz took the opportunity to cut the payroll even more.

Everyone on the bench makes the pro-rated MLB salary based on days on the ML roster of $740k or more in 2024. The maximum Pillar is guaranteed is $260k over the minimum if he manages to stay on the White Sox roster, including stints on the MLB IL, the entire season. He is also eligible for up to $500k with enough Plate Appearances ($50k for 150 PA, $50k more for each 25 thereafter through 375 PA).

He is only guaranteed $180k at this point if he never makes the MLB roster. He would have been guaranteed up to $3M on the original deal, less the agreed upon pro-rated salary for time spent in the minors.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1