I love the White Sox team this year! I'm excited to be a fan of it.

vilehoopster

15 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yep...lots of hot and cold performances from those three but hardly irreplaceable.

And what has changed?  Getz acquired a bunch of unproven pitchers or pitchers that came from the dumpster because they were old, bad, injured, or all of the above.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ptatc said:

I disagree. I think we'll see a better brand of baseball. They won't win much but it will be better to watch.

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That's not true, at least from the prospective of most fans.

If a team plays hard and smart, it's not as egregious as when a team loses due to terrible play, bad unprofessional mistakes, fielding players in a position to fail, or ownership/players not giving a s%*#.

I understand where you’re coming from, but he’s my question to you guys. Do you think the Sox will lose approximately the same amount of games in 2024 as they did in 2023?

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

I know we disagree on why to attend a ballgame. I can enjoy the game without having a loss ruin it. 

I have worked many professional and Olympic sports and traveled with them. There probably isn't a sport that I haven't worked with at some level. Nothing beats baseball.

The game of baseball is a wonderful thing. Not many things beat a day at the ballpark,especially now that I don't have to work them.

Badminton or fencing?

2 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

I understand where you’re coming from, but he’s my question to you guys. Do you think the Sox will lose approximately the same amount of games in 2024 as they did in 2023?

Badminton or fencing?

I worked many badminton tournaments. They have lots of elbow issues due to the "snap" of the swing.

You probably have me at fencing. While I did work with them at the Olympic training center for practice,  I haven't actually covered a competition. 🍻

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And what has changed?  Getz acquired a bunch of unproven pitchers or pitchers that came from the dumpster because they were old, bad, injured, or all of the above.

Bannister.

7 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Badminton or fencing?

I said on a podcast that I was a guest on that I thought they'd lose around 95 games this season. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

How much did the Sox actually cut in payroll this winter? $30M? 

Need to wait to see if they dump Cease or convert any NRIs, but as of now they cut $48.9M ($181.1M to $132.2M). This amount includes Leury's buyout, and the entire 40 man roster including guys on the IL. I don't see the final payment due to Abreu, or the first of ten payments due to Hendriks in the 2024 detail.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/

Edited by South Side Hit Men

On 2/21/2024 at 2:21 AM, Milkman delivers said:

Badminton or fencing?

I think the potential is there to lose more. If the starting pitching is a disaster, it's more than likely the relief pitching is also a disaster.

Any time in the past that we have said " if everyone stays healthy or "  if so and so breaks out " we have a shot, it usually falls upon deaf ears of the gods of baseball.

If the starting pitching is somewhat stable and reliable for a bunch of stiffs, the stiffs in the bullpen might stabilize with assigned roles.

I don't expect miracles. A good 1st half would mean we have more guys to trade. That's pretty much all I want.

I could get greedy and ask for the prospects taking the place of the traded guys in the 2nd half do good also but shhhhh.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 1:30 AM, WhiteSox2023 said:

What has changed?  It's spring that's fast approaching after winter. 

John Fogery says it. 

"Well, I beat the drum and hold the phone The sun came out today We're born again, there's new grass on the field."

It's spring training. "We're born again."   I choose to be happy and excited about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

What has changed?  It's spring that's fast approaching after winter. 

John Fogery says it. 

"Well, I beat the drum and hold the phone The sun came out today We're born again, there's new grass on the field."

It's spring training. "We're born again."   I choose to be happy and excited about it. 

Well, I’m referring to talent, and how it wasn’t really improved from last year.  What you are referring to is hope.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Well, I’m referring to talent, and how it wasn’t really improved from last year.  What you are referring to is hope.

What he is referring to is that

BASEBALL IS BACK

So it's all good.

• Like 1

The Sox in 1970 went from 56-106 to 79-83 in 1971.  In 1972, If my all-time favorite White Sox, Bart Johnson, and second all-time favorite, Bill Melton, are healthy and played the whole season they win the division and the process of granting sainthood is started for Dick Allen. 

This year's team has me excited for who is going to be the guy that nobody had a clue would be a stud and building block. I think I will have another fav in Fletcher. Also, I am curious if Soroka bounces back to his 2019 form.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 11:13 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

To me there's no such thing as a better looking loss.

A loss is a loss is a loss.

Disagree.  I’d rather see a game in which the team I root for loses while fighting hard rather than seeing a team go through the motions.

Its night and day.

if you’re on the team a loss is a loss.  If you’re a consumer that’s not quite the case.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Disagree.  I’d rather see a game in which the team I root for loses while fighting hard rather than seeing a team go through the motions.

Its night and day.

if you’re on the team a loss is a loss.  If you’re a consumer that’s not quite the case.

That's your perspective and I respect it. I disagree though with the premise, a 100 loss team is what the record says they are...god awful, doesn't matter if you lose 1-0 or 15-3, it's still a loss. 

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Manfred made it so we can all see a player's underwear or going commando without a player dropping their pants.

Yea it's so silly. That said, it's a fine line in baseball between "this feels fucking heavy as s%*#" and "this s%*# is gonna rip a hole in my ass when I slide". 

Maybe they should have just kept the jerseys everybody already didn't have a problem with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2