Kopech to the Bullpen

hogan873

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

I wonder if the Sox have just had enough of Kopech. They've given him every opportunity to right the ship and he refuses to attack hitters.

I don’t think it’s a matter of trying to be too pinpoint.   He just can’t throw a fastball where he wants to.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

He does a lot of things wrong that make me think he will be a terrible reliever.   Bad command and not being able to hold runners is a bad combo for a reliever.

It's also a bad combo as a starter. He's shown zero progress as a starter. He's no longer that young, has a bad injury history and who knows, maybe he asked for this move.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

It's also a bad combo as a starter. He's shown zero progress as a starter. He's no longer that young, has a bad injury history and who knows, maybe he asked for this move.

He didn’t 

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Duvall just signed for the same $3M as Pillar too.  Woof.

Now I am sure he'd rather play for the Braves than the Sox, but even the minor moves just don't look good at all.  

Willing to let this thing play out a bit before jumping to major conclusions, but its just ugly. 

To be fair, you have to pay a premium to get any free agent worth a damn to consider playing for a 100 loss team with Pedro as the helm.  Not defending any of these specific moves either…unfortunately just a part of the reality.

Just now, fathom said:

He didn’t 

OK, well who fucking cares? He had a FIP over 6 last year. Maybe some tough love is what he needs. Like, I get this is going to be a hot topic because we have little else to talk about other than how bad we're going to suck -- but the pre injury Kopech that was a top 20 prospect in MLB isn't walking through that door.

At this point, he's JAG.

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I will never stop thinking that the biggest mistake the White Sox made with this player was failing to put him in AAA for 2021. 

Kopech and Crochet should both have been building up as starters in Charlotte that year.

Tony was the primary driver of this plan, with no one here to stop him.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I will never stop thinking that the biggest mistake the White Sox made with this player was failing to put him in AAA for 2021. Give him as many innings as he can take, let him build is arm up post surgery, let him get innings so that he can recover the consistency and control he was starting to develop in mid-2018, and maybe avoid the mental pressures of being tossed back into the big leagues after what was clearly a stressful 2020 for him.

Well of course, but Hahn was so incompetent that any young player with real talent was immediately funneled to the majors to fill a need.

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

Kopech and Crochet should both have been building up as starters in Charlotte that year.

Tony was the primary driver of this plan, with no one here to stop him.

I mean, "put all the prospects in the bullpen" was also very much a Rick Hahn thing too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of trying to be too pinpoint.   He just can’t throw a fastball where he wants to.

He's had years to figure it out. He's damn near 30 years old. I would guess the Sox gave him some kind of ultimatum in the off season and he didn't fulfill it.

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

He does a lot of things wrong that make me think he will be a terrible reliever.   Bad command and not being able to hold runners is a bad combo for a reliever.

And yet he was an elite reliever in 2021.  Perhaps he can no longer replicate that level of stuff, but he’s at least shown success before a reliever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

He's had years to figure it out. He's damn near 30 years old. I would guess the Sox gave him some kind of ultimatum in the off season and he didn't fulfill it.

What we do know is that Barfield I believe was specifically on record with how this was a guy he was going to work with and wanted to fix. 

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He had a 4million buy out. So someone trading for him would have to take his remaining contract for the final 3 months AND the 4 million option. He wasn't THAT good to take that on.

And yet we paid the buyout either way, so we could have comped that for the acquiring team and actually got something for him.  He wasn’t in demand at all it seems like to me.

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’m not a fan of moving Kopech to the bullpen but the plan seems obvious to me. Theyre going to try and create value in a bullpen role and then trade him. 

Yeah, definitely feels like the end of the road for him with us.  Either he recovers his form as a reliever and is traded at deadline or is non-tendered during the offseason.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’m not a fan of moving Kopech to the bullpen but the plan seems obvious to me. Theyre going to try and create value in a bullpen role and then trade him. 

Yeah I thought they'd give him at least until Memorial day as a starter. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I figured we would see him in the rotation in at least April, before deciding on if he needs to move to the pen/open up rotation spots for guys in the minors at some point.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I wonder if the Sox have just had enough of Kopech. They've given him every opportunity to right the ship and he refuses to attack hitters.

I'm ready to just turn the page on everyone from the previous rebuild (outside of Robert of course).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm over the Kopech experiment honestly. Like most have already said, Kopech's biggest issue, is Michael Kopech.

And if we're talking about Clevinger, just go let Bauer have a crack at it. Absurd that he is still paying for all of that crap.

• Like 1

I thought Kopech would be wise to switch to the pen and maybe attain the Closer role several years ago (when he was throwing 100+ to the first few hitters). MK has shown over the years that he sometimes loses focus as a game wears on. In the pen he could be more effective trying to focus all his energy into one inning, whether as a closer or set-up man. He still has that energy that could be unleashed in a short outing if he could harness it and throw enough strikes to get ahead of hitters. I'm still behind him but as with many pro athletes approaching 30 years old (like TA) their energy diminishes and the edge they once had is gone.