2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

17 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Interesting graph from a fantasy projection website:

Garrett-Crochet-PLV-2023.png

Garrett-Crochet-PLV-2021.png

He has gotten better, we'll see if he can go 4 innings and give up 2 runs or better. That's the goal imo.

Does this not show him getting worse with every pitch, or am I too dumb to read this properly? 

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So is something official coming out today with the final 26 ?

They still must add at least one player to the active roster (need a pitcher for a 13/13 split), could add a second by placing Drohan on the IL. The have 40 plus 2 on the 60 day IL, could add another if Drohan placed on the 60 vs. 15 day.

Keeping with the D’s, DeClan Cronin made the OD bullpen for the Marlins.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Does this not show him getting worse with every pitch, or am I too dumb to read this properly? 

Basically just shows he wasn't right last year and hopefully he can get back to where he was prior to the injury.

edit: ah, I was a few bowls and beers in last night I should have said "has been better" yikes.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I saw where this was expected given they don't need a 5th starter for 10 days or so.

They need arms. There are 5 games in a row starting Saturday. They are probably choosing not to use a 5th starter, and will use bullpen games until Nastrini has another year of control.

By the way, next Monday’s weather looks terrible vs Braves. They may have to play a doubleheader Tuesday or Wednesday, or there are a couple dates in June they could come back.

Edited by flavum

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I saw where this was expected given they don't need a 5th starter for 10 days or so.

No, they have only 1 scheduled Offday before April 11. They will need their 5th starter soon unless there’s a rainout. 

They wrote that they would do something stupid like pitch Crochet on normal rest in game 5 and call up the 5th starter for game 6, rather than giving Crochet extra rest (obviously with his history as a reliable innings eater he doesn’t need an extra Offday betweeen any of his first 3 starts).

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

No, they have only 1 scheduled Offday before April 11. They will need their 5th starter soon unless there’s a rainout. 

They wrote that they would do something stupid like pitch Crochet on normal rest in game 5 and call up the 5th starter for game 6, rather than giving Crochet extra rest (obviously with his history as a reliable innings eater he doesn’t need an extra Offday betweeen any of his first 3 starts).

From Merkin's story this afternoon:

Starting pitchers (4): Garrett Crochet, Michael Soroka, Erick Fedde, Chris Flexen
Crochet’s first Major League start also will be his first Opening Day start. Although he’s a rookie, Nastrini, Chicago's No. 8 prospect, has shown good stuff and good results in Arizona (3.77 ERA across 14 1/3 innings), possessing the moxie to carry himself through rough big league starts. With the White Sox not needing a fifth starter until April 3, they will break with nine relievers and Nastrini should get the call at that point.

Edited by Lip Man 1

2 hours ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Nastrini not on opening day roster. 

Good, hopefully they wait to call him up after they gain the extra year of control but it doesn’t sound like they will.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

AJP absolutely shredded Getz.  I love how Getz immediately rocks back in his chair nervously, turns red, and starts sweating.

Well he and Ozzie have something in common... they can't keep their mouths shut and their ego's in check long enough to get a real job in baseball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well he and Ozzie have something in common... they can't keep their mouths shut and their ego's in check long enough to get a real job in baseball.

They are both getting paid to talk baseball and don’t have to sit on the hot seat like a manager.  Not a bad gig if you can get it.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They are both getting paid to talk baseball and don’t have to sit on the hot seat like a manager.  Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Hence his bitterness.  He doesn't care about pressure, he never has.  He wants to work in baseball for real.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hence his bitterness.  He doesn't care about pressure, he never has.  He wants to work in baseball for real.

It would be interesting to know if he really wants to or not. He seems like a sharp baseball guy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

AJP absolutely shredded Getz.  I love how Getz immediately rocks back in his chair nervously, turns red, and starts sweating.

https://sports.yahoo.com/reusse-durans-injury-dark-cloud-100000754.html

Compete from Year 1, Getz???

Especially when you now consider the current (what is likely to be a lingering) injury to close Duran...and the big hole in the rotation caused by the losses of Gray and Maeda.

Replaced by Varland, Paddack (first year back from TJS) and the unlikelihood of getting much of anything from DeSclafini...not a whole lot of depth there.

Minnesota practically daring the rest of the division to come after them.

Only the Tigers really seem to be mounting a challenge.

I did the unthinkable and got tickets to tomorrows game…..have been so conflicted the last few weeks in regards to getting tickets but taking the soon to be 2 year old and hoping he can have some fun on opening day was too hard to pass up but at least he will never remember the outcome or this season….idk why I put myself through this….someone should report me for child abuse….hopefully the kiddo likes pregame fireworks at least

• Haha 1