2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I was told the pitchers now come here because of Getz' improved defense.

I was in my car listening to the end of the Sox game on Sirius and DJ and Len were talking about how smooth Nicky looks at 2B. And then Len responded, "and what about DeJong at short? They really look smooth out there." This was after Nicky fielded a routine grounder at second in the ninth. Ugh.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry's not going to let him quit, not even on his deathbed. He made Kenny sit here with no chance at a President job for years, Hahn was rumored to want to quit as well.

Jerry loves keeping under his thumb on the planation, be it FO, players, jabbing Minor League players and keeping them in slum conditions eating 7/11, etc.

Loyalty is the lowest virtue but in our org it's the most important, including over being good at your job.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Burger and Anderson with four RBIs...Avi and Cronin figuring in as well.

Burger DP just blew their opportunity for walk off though...

Great post. Caulfield I am going to try to follow the Cubs a bit this year since some say they may win the division. Feel free to DM me with any comments Cub related. I know from your posts you follow the Cubs some and I know little bout the team except their closer is allegedly good, they have a Cy Young candidate at starter and the Suzuki and Morel guys allegedly can hit.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I was in my car listening to the end of the Sox game on Sirius and DJ and Len were talking about how smooth Nicky looks at 2B. And then Len responded, "and what about DeJong at short? They really look smooth out there." This was after Nicky fielded a routine grounder at second in the ninth. Ugh.

White guys! Amirite!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Bottom four in the lineup went 0-12. 11 strike outs, zero walks for the team. Nothing has changed there.

The first of many losses and bad baseball all summer long.

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 3

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

"What were the highlights today, Papa?"

"Well son, the second baseman and short stop look real smooth."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The White Sox pitching was very good today so the defense didn't have to work that hard. I didn't see DeJong do anything spectacular.

The spin was all over the place today. Losing a 1-0 game isn't the end of the world, but there wasn't anything all that great out there. We will have to get used to the anemic offense. 

2 minutes ago, Highland said:

The White Sox pitching was very good today so the defense didn't have to work that hard. I didn't see DeJong do anything spectacular.

The spin was all over the place today. Losing a 1-0 game isn't the end of the world, but there wasn't anything all that great out there. We will have to get used to the anemic offense. 

There's always lots of room to fall from 14th to 15th in offense ... granted, Skubal could easily win a Cy Young and will shout down numerous teams this year.

21 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I would praise incessantly and be willing to send 10 bucks cash tip at the end of the season for anybody in soxtalk willing to count the actual fans at our games this year. It would be neat to get an actual attendance count. Not to be a jerk but I could envision under 1,000 fans being at a lot of our games. They'll never list a crowd under 15,000 on the official box. Think about it. Southsiders aren't dumb. They are not gonna show just to get a delicious corned beef sandwich. The amount of fans there will be count-able. Surely somebody in the age of analytics would tackle this challenge for us fans.

I like going to day games in nice weather, avoid crowds.

Here are a few photos from last season in said situations in 2023 and 2019, the last two seasons I went to the park (not including 2020 Spring Training).

Game One DH 9/12/23 - There were less than 100 for most of this game.

IMG-5579.jpg

Game Two DH 9/12/23 - Several Hundred to start game 2 at the regularly scheduled time.

IMG-5581.jpg

Friday September 27, 2019 - 4 PM - About 100 fans.

100619-033.jpg

100619-034.jpg

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Highland said:

There's always lots of room to fall from 14th to 15th in offense ... granted, Skubal could easily win a Cy Young and will shut down numerous teams this year.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Miracle worker?

I know you aren't going to s%*# where you sleep but any argument that absolves Getz of blame for the lack of overall org talent isn't going to fly. He was part and parcel of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 3

OK this is nitpicky considering how well Crochet pitched, but why the hell was he throwing a hittable pitch to Baez on  0-2? The dude swings at literally everything.

Of course, if that hadn't happened, the game might still be going on.

On 3/26/2024 at 4:27 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nice to have you back Jack. @ron883 said you were dead.

I have it on good authority that Jack Parkman died. Either his account has been hacked, or he's back from the dead to haunt Soxtalk

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Great post. Caulfield I am going to try to follow the Cubs a bit this year since some say they may win the division. Feel free to DM me with any comments Cub related. I know from your posts you follow the Cubs some and I know little bout the team except their closer is allegedly good, they have a Cy Young candidate at starter and the Suzuki and Morel guys allegedly can hit.

Sad so far.  Sox punchless today.  Then Anderson and Burger with 4 RBIs.  Doesn’t look like we upgraded the infield hitting offensively.

43 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Not one Sox player reached 2nd base. That’s hard to do in a MLB game.

Our offense this year looks worse than last year.  Didn’t bring in any offensive upgrade.  Still havethe same problems at catcher, 2B, RF, Ss.