Chasing Records

I think we can all agree that this is one of the worst White Sox teams ever assembled. I say we have some fun with it. So, let's hear it. What records in futility can the Sox realistically chase this season?

Consecutive losses to start a season?

Least runs scored in a season? 

Most times swept in a season?

Lowest team batting average?

Most times striking out?

Least number of walks?

Most losses for a White Sox team?

Most times shutout?

Edited by Paulie4Pres

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Is there a expected wins based on runs given up? I could see them being protected to win 81 games based on runs given up but only winning 55. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings

FGs thinks we're gonna score 4.19 runs a game. Seems generous. I'd take the over on that -144 differential. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I think we can all agree that this is one of the worst White Sox teams ever assembled. I say we have some fun with it. So, let's hear it. What records in futility can the Sox realistically chase this season?

Most times striking out?

Least number of walks?

The team record is 10 straight losses to start a season set in 1968.

These clowns have a realistic chance in my opinion to tie it. 

If you are going to suck than you may as well be historic about it, end the season for the fans early if nothing else.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The team record is 10 straight losses to start a season set in 1968.

These clowns have a realistic chance in my opinion to tie it. 

If you are going to suck than you may as well be historic about it, end the season for the fans early if nothing else.

My prediction of not watching games past April (aside from attending one or two games) will probably come true.

6 minutes ago, superchops70 said:

Seriously, what's the record for fewest wins in a season? We're going to have to be pushing that mark

Modern era is 36-117 by the Philadelphia A's in 1916, a .235 winning percentage. 

The worst recent one was the 43-119 Tigers in 2003. I believe that season got them the draft pick that became Verlander. I believe that something like 10 of their wins came against the White Sox, IIRC, and had the White Sox gone several games better agains those Tigers it could easily have put them into a tie with the Twins.

2018 Orioles, 2019 Tigers both won 47 games.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Modern era is 36-117 by the Philadelphia A's in 1916, a .235 winning percentage. 

The worst recent one was the 43-119 Tigers in 2003. I believe that season got them the draft pick that became Verlander. I believe that something like 10 of their wins came against the White Sox, IIRC, and had the White Sox gone several games better agains those Tigers it could easily have put them into a tie with the Twins.

Thanks. 
I have a very hard time believing this team will get to 40 wins.

3 minutes ago, superchops70 said:

Thanks. 
I have a very hard time believing this team will get to 40 wins.

I know they're bad, but this would be seriously bad, like beyond what we can fathom. That 2003 Tigers team was incredible. A guy lost 20 games. They were saved from being a 40 win team literally by the White Sox. The As last year couldn't keep up being that bad. This would be a challenge.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The A's record was played under the original 154 game schedule.

The modern 162 game schedule record is the Met's inaugural season (40-120 with 2 rain outs).

The Tigers record you noted is the worst non expansion modern schedule record.

The A's started 10-40 last season, then went 40-72 the rest of the way.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know they're bad, but this would be seriously bad, like beyond what we can fathom. That 2003 Tigers team was incredible. A guy lost 20 games. They were saved from being a 40 win team literally by the White Sox. The As last year couldn't keep up being that bad. This would be a challenge.

That season the Sox lost a pair of 1-0 games to the Tigers when Loaiza was pitching. Those two games probably cost him the Cy Young Award. 

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The A's record was played under the original 154 game schedule.

The modern 162 game schedule record is the Met's inaugural season (40-160 with 2 rain outs).

The Tigers record you noted is the worst non expansion modern schedule record.

The A's started 10-40 last season, then went 40-72 the rest of the way.

40-160? 👀

• Haha 1

In the 124 year history of the franchise, there was a single stretch eight year stretch between 1948-1955 when the Sox had their lone stretch of a cumulative losing franchise record.

• 1947 .500 (3,544-3540-77)
  • 1948 .497 (3,595-3,641-79)
  • 1949 .495 (3,658-3,732-79)
  • 1950 .493 (3,718-3,826-81) 
  • 1951 .494 (3,799-3,889-82)
  • 1952 .494 (3,880-3,972-84)
  • 1953 .496 (3,969-4,037-86)
  • 1954 .498 (4,063-4,097-87)
  • 1955 .500 (4,154-4,160-88)
  • 1956 .501 (4,239-4,229-88)

Jerry Reinsdorf has positioned the team to broach this level of infamy. With a 49-113 record this season....

• 1980 .502 (6,179-6,128-99)
  • 2023 .502 (9,553-9,491-103)
  • 2024 .500 (9,602-9,604-103)

• Paper Bag 2

23 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Most times striking out?

Least number of walks?

I think they have a good shot at all of these records.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zisk said:

knowing they won't get a high draft pick out of this is the cherry on the sundae. it's so white sox in the worst way.

The Sox losing 100+ games last season is just absurd. They deserve this outcome.

Not sure if you can place a bet on it or not but I kind of figured what would be your guess for games scoring over 3 runs?  Prior to the injuries, I was thinking 60.  No clue what a record low would be.

Most Campfire Shakes sold...

Most roster moves/transactions.

Lowest OPS/OBP, pretty much any offensive statistics on record.

Most bullpen innings (after Crochet comes to an inevitable end at some point).

Most K's/least walks.

Fewest homers in new stadium.

• Haha 1