White Sox bring Mike Clevinger back, pending physical

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol I understand that Clevinger was owed $6.65M. This is a fact. You’re making assumptions that JR was willing to eat $ to trade him, neither of us know. I am working with facts, you’re making assumptions that you have no clue are accurate. 

So why don’t you understand that eating say $5 million of that remaining money would have saved him $1.65 million?  Why would JR not have done this?  He could either recoup some of that $6.65 million or none at all.  Paying out $5 million in a lost season is better than paying out $6.65 million.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Would have cost teams $6.65M for like 8-10 starts with very little guarantee he was healthy at that time, but he likes to ignore that fact. 

IF  the Sox weren't willing to pick up anything at all.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Those guys weren't toxic.

I was responding to a poster that literally said “they ate money on everyone else they traded last deadline” which is blatantly incorrect. 

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So this dude is going to cost something like 3-4 minimum salaries as a statistically good SP and NO ONE WANTED HIM.  That should tell everyone why no one wanted him at the deadline.  He was as close to free as you can pretty much get and still no one was interested. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Why did no other team in the MLB sign him?

Dunno. Did he create problems on the Sox last year? Serious question. I didn't hear of any, but I don't live in Chicago anymore, so I may have missed something...

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

So this dude is going to cost something like 3-4 minimum salaries as a statistically good SP and NO ONE WANTED HIM.  That should tell everyone why no one wanted him at the deadline.  He was as close to free as you can pretty much get and still no one was interested. 

Exactly.  Thank you for having common sense and reason.

13 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

No I think they're going to give the 62 Mets and 03 Tigers a run for it. 

Well, it will certainly be interesting if you are right haha.

To me, they look just about as bad as I expected. And I figured them for something around 58 wins.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Good, we need a value.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChetLemon77 said:

Dunno. Did he create problems on the Sox last year? Serious question. I didn't hear of any, but I don't live in Chicago anymore, so I may have missed something...

The only things he did with the Sox that are known are coming out to the “Gold Digger” entrance music by Kanye, which was seen as bad taste considering the recent allegations against him.  He also threatened to sue The Score radio station after Parkins & Spiegel had his accuser on the radio to tell her side of the story and they basically ran with her words as being true.

As far as any negative clubhouse stories, I don’t believe any ever came out if there were any.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

28 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

What would Clevinger have cost other interested teams then, in your opinion, had there been any?

The guy also didn’t get signed until a week into this year’s baseball season by a team that needs him absolutely the least because they aren’t even in competition for anything.

It’s pretty obvious that there is pretty much zero interest in this guy outside of the pathetic and desperate White Sox.

He wouldn't be the first athlete to be blackballed due to circumstances surrounding him/her. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's debatable & sometimes it's just plain unfair.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The only things he did with the Sox that are known are coming out to the “Gold Digger” entrance music by Kanye, which was seen as bad taste considering the recent allegations against him.  He also threatened to sue The Score radio station after Parkins & Spiegel had his accuser on the radio to tell her part of the story and basically ran with her words as being true.

Ok, so nothing that we haven't seen a thousand times with professional athletes?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Being as upfront as possible about this, why should the Sox care why no one else would take him?

He seemingly wasn’t a clubhouse issue last year, and he pitched pretty decently. That’s all the matters for the Sox in this decision.

He was on the team last season, so the PR hardly makes a difference to the franchise. Anyone who left because of him is probably already gone. And they’re not gonna be drawing much of a crowd no matter what they do this season.

It seems like an obvious signing on the part of the front office to me.

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t know if were or not. How much money did they eat last deadline? 

No idea, but they certainly should have eaten Clevinger’s buyout at last year’s deadline and gotten something for him given they paid those dollars for nothing anyways.  I think it’s very apparent, even moreso now, that no one wants this dude in their clubhouse.  We’re talking about Vince Velasquez money for a pitcher that isn’t actually bad.  I’m not going to lose sleep over this, but don’t see any real upside here other than we’ll be a little less terrible when he makes starts than when Chris Flexen does.

• Thanks 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

For what exactly?  And this is a serious question.

I guarantee if he's made 20 starts, has a 3.5 ERA and a 2.5K/BB ratio come late July, no clubhouse is going to be "nah, don't bring this guy in".

He's going to have value if he plays well. If he doesn't who cares imo. At least they spent 3 million on the possibility. This helps protect the other guys in the rotation that might have a future here as well. Let's everybody slot back one and covers a lot of innings.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No idea, but they certainly should have eaten Clevinger’s buyout at last year’s deadline and gotten something for him given they paid those dollars for nothing anyways.  I think it’s very apparent, even moreso now, that no one wants this dude in their clubhouse.  We’re talking about Vince Velasquez money for a pitcher that isn’t actually bad.  I’m not going to lose sleep over this, but don’t see any real upside here other than we’ll be a little less terrible when he makes starts than when Chris Flexen does.

Only value he’s going to bring is innings. Would be shocked and glad if a team actually gives up something for him but it ain’t happening.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Only value he’s going to bring is innings. Would be shocked and glad if a team actually gives up something for him but it ain’t happening.

That’s really all they need him to do. If he can eat up 150+ innings, it will do worlds of good for every other pitcher on the team. And if he’s somewhat good, he helps to keep the Sox away from the historically bad record the FO is probably concerned about.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Being as upfront as possible about this, why should the Sox care why no one else would take him?

I think it’s more that no one else would take him vs why no one else would take him. Meaning you’re probably not gonna be able to flip him in July, which is one of the only important things about this season.

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Would a team that is in the playoff hunt but down a starter or two to injury want him? I think that situation for a performing Clevinger could net something. It may not be much, but it could be “something.”

The Sox aren’t likely to be competing in July, and we could see a historically bad start. So, I could see him being one of the first starters dealt.