4/7 Game thread

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You’ve watched this team.  Do you think Salvy really would have made a difference?

He wouldn't be an automatic out in the 8 or 9 spot. Dude hits. With a fragile Eloy, you could park him as the DH, and have Stassi and Lee catch. I don't think KC would have traded him, tho. But it's not quite the "I am rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off at you" thought game everybody treated it like when we were signing DeJong and Pillar. 

18 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You’ve watched this team.  Do you think Salvy really would have made a difference?

No team is good as they look on a winning streak, and they're not as bad as they look on a losing streak. We can all play the game of, "Oh noes!!! Will they win 10 games?!? I am so forlorned!!"

Without looking it up, I seem to remember Salvy being not as bad, defensively, as Maldonado. They need anybody to start hitting. 

The problem is that none of Getz’s acquisitions were good hitters to begin with.  Salvy definitely would’ve been an improvement over Maldonado, but this lineup was banking on a healthy Eloy and Robert hitting and Vaughn finally improving along with Benintendi perhaps earning his money.  Well, the s%*# has hit the fan on everything.

I still think this lineup when healthy is still every bit as bad as a lot of other posters thought during the offseason and Spring Training.  The injuries have now made it historically bad.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The problem is that none of Getz’s acquisitions were good hitters to begin with.  Salvy definitely would’ve been an improvement over Maldonado, but this lineup was banking on a healthy Eloy and Robert hitting and Vaughn finally improving along with Benintendi perhaps earning his money.  Well, the s%*# has hit the fan on everything.

Dude, I 100% agree with you on that. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I still think this lineup when healthy is still every bit as bad as a lot of other posters thought during the offseason and Spring Training.  The injuries have now made it historically bad.

Yep, Getz has no one to blame but himself for having so many bad hitters in the lineup.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chw42 said:

If they keep sucking like this, how long until the whole team turns on Grifol?

You know what? It's very very difficult to go 0-4 in a four-game series. To a team like the Royals it's unacceptable. He should be fired NOW (with the condition we do realize he had nothing to work with, but still. I'd like to see how often the Sox have been swept in four-game series in the last 30 years, but not counting the last four years when the team has given up. I would suggest once or twice in 30 year span?? That means FIRE HIM NOW. Let Ozzie manage these old stiffs! Seriously. Give Ozzie the team NOW. Why the hell not?

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You know what? It's very very difficult to go 0-4 in a four-game series. To a team like the Royals it's unacceptable. He should be fired NOW (with the condition we do realize he had nothing to work with, but still. I'd like to see how often the Sox have been swept in four-game series in the last 30 years, but not counting the last four years when the team has given up. I would suggest once or twice in 30 year span?? That means FIRE HIM NOW. Let Ozzie manage these old stiffs! Seriously. Give Ozzie the team NOW. Why the hell not?

For one, I can’t imagine Ozzie having any interest in managing this team. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

For one, I can’t imagine Ozzie having any interest in managing this team. 

Ozzie wants to be managing again - he might just take them up on it. Problem is his style of managing doesn't work in today's game. Literally no other team has given him a second chance. Regardless, he isn't the answer, it would be another JR smoke and mirrors show living off of past success to draw fans in.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

So you're saying, they should fire him tonight, but promise him a good reference, and they won't challenge his unemployment?

Edited by WestEddy

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Ozzie wants to be managing again - he might just take them up on it. Problem is his style of managing doesn't work in today's game. Literally no other team has given him a second chance. Regardless, he isn't the answer, it would be another JR smoke and mirrors show living off of past success to draw fans in.

I don't think he wore out the team like Ditka. The lack of 2nd chances probably stems from the Castro remarks and his calling Jay Mariotti bad names. Motivated, I think Ozzie could get the most out of these guys. They don't have the sluggers, so maybe they could eke out an extra run or two a game and win a few. 

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

23 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I don't think he wore out the team like Ditka. The lack of 2nd chances probably stems from the Castro remarks and his calling Jay Mariotti bad names. Motivated, I think Ozzie could get the most out of these guys. They don't have the sluggers, so maybe they could eke out an extra run or two a game and win a few. 

I'm just saying there's nothing to lose anymore regarding hiring Ozzie. He can hold down the fort the rest of the season. I doubt he'd want much money? Double what he's making as TV analyst. Let Oz hire some kind of bench coach to share some of the media duties. We just need a body in the manager's chair right now to get us through the season. Ozzie would have no reason to be a distraction as he knows, everybody knows this team isn't capable of winning 60 max, more like 40-50 max games.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm just saying there's nothing to lose anymore regarding hiring Ozzie. He can hold down the fort the rest of the season. I doubt he'd want much money? Double what he's making as TV analyst. Let Oz hire some kind of bench coach to share some of the media duties. We just need a body in the manager's chair right now to get us through the season. Ozzie would have no reason to be a distraction as he knows, everybody knows this team isn't capable of winning 60 max, more like 40-50 max games.

I honestly think that if Grifol got the boot, Justin Jirschele would ascend to the MLB manager's seat. If not this year, then next. I like Ozzie. I don't think he completely burnt out his team, but he completely ruined his reputation by hanging Dunn out to dry during a career slump, then Ozzie quit on the team due to contract garbage. The more I type, the more I realize he would never be asked to manage again. Unless, of course, if Reinsdorf thought it would light a spark...

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

For what it's worth again on the post game show Ozzie said he does not want to manage. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

For what it's worth again on the post game show Ozzie said he does not want to manage. 

A conspirary theorist would say this proves Oz has learned to watch what he says. Lying is a sports figure's best friend. If he says he wants to manage it's bold headline stuff.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

40 minutes ago, greg775 said:

A conspirary theorist would say this proves Oz has learned to watch what he says. Lying is a sports figure's best friend. If he says he wants to manage it's bold headline stuff.

Or he sees what a shitshow this roster is and wants no part of it. He isn’t stupid.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

The Royals proved Getz correct. Now we all know why he wants to be like them.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

His ego wouldn't allow him to say no.

Don't know if I buy that. He's not an idiot. 

And if he has the ego you think he does (and I don't think you're wrong about him having a huge ego), I think it would hurt him to be remembered for coming back a second time and having a terrible 3-4 years with the Sox, which is what is going to happen with any manager they bring in. 

Pedro has no redeeming qualities, should have never been hired and is a terrible manager...but I really don't think this team performs any better with Craig Counsell, Joe Torre or Earl Weaver in the dugout. You can only go so far with a roster that lacks in basically every important category. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

And if he has the ego you think he does (and I don't think you're wrong about him having a huge ego), I think it would hurt him to be remembered for coming back a second time and having a terrible 3-4 years with the Sox, which is what is going to happen with any manager they bring in. 

Pedro has no redeeming qualities, should have never been hired and is a terrible manager...but I really don't think this team performs any better with Craig Counsell, Joe Torre or Earl Weaver in the dugout. You can only go so far with a roster that lacks in basically every important category. 

You're probably right, but at least you won't hear and read Pedro's embarrassing takes after every loss. And it is a step in righting the ship. Fire the dope.

I think Ozzie really really just wants to manage again. That's why he's taken some of the jobs in between. 

I thought it was a bad idea for a long time, but with what we are staring at...good lord fine just take over.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

I definitely agree the manager of this team does matter at all.  This roster is a tire fire.