Nastrini and Cannon to be Called Up

DirtySox

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Nastrini and Cannon to be Called Up

$1.75 million isn’t that much in the MLB but jeez, Getz should be embarrassed he gave Flexen that much for 3 starts.  His awful overall numbers weren’t enough to convince Getz that he sucked?

At this point, it’s pretty obvious that Getz’s plan was to call up the youngsters once the extra year of control was locked in, and it had much less to do with waiting until the young guys got enough minor league work in to truly be ready for the majors.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

$1.75 million isn’t that much in the MLB but jeez, Getz should be embarrassed he gave Flexen that much for 3 starts.  His awful overall numbers weren’t enough to convince Getz that he sucked?

Wait, you expect Getz to be able to identify talent?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yep. Feel like Flexen will just move into a long relief role. 

Flexen's 3 first innings were all 3-up, 3-down. Maybe Getz wanted him in relief from the get-go. Maybe Tim Hill will be the collateral damage of Cannon joining the parent team. 

Interesting that Shaw, Hill, Flexen and Soroka were all just noise to get out past an extra year's control on Nastrini and Cannon. 

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Flexen's 3 first innings were all 3-up, 3-down. Maybe Getz wanted him in relief from the get-go. Maybe Tim Hill will be the collateral damage of Cannon joining the parent team. 

Interesting that Shaw, Hill, Flexen and Soroka were all just noise to get out past an extra year's control on Nastrini and Cannon. 

Grifol simply can't survive without the quintessential veteran loogy.

Plus, Royals connection.

We gonna be bad? Let these kids get on the job training. Reminds me of 88. They sucked but McDowell, Hibbard and Melido Perez were youngsters in the rotation. Let them pitch. Crochet, Nastrini, Fedde, Soroka, Cannon. When Clevinger comes up you back off Crochet a little. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

We gonna be bad? Let these kids get on the job training. Reminds me of 88. They sucked but McDowell, Hibbard and Melido Perez were youngsters in the rotation. Let them pitch. Crochet, Nastrini, Fedde, Soroka, Cannon. When Clevinger comes up you back off Crochet a little. 

Ummm, yeah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

16 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

That would require someone in this group to basically be a highly opinionated Cy Young-winning pitcher...a run on Soul Glo for Melido as well as an abbreviated no hitter and finally, a crafty shorter than average lhp gainng the moniker of Bulldog.

I like this thinking. Cannon has looked the best he ever has in his career.   Might as well give him the shot.  Certainly gives me more to root for while also returning Charlotte to the status of having no starting pitchers.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 8:27 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this, but I actually love that Getz pulled this off.  I really thought he’d burn the extra year of control for the sake being different, but he handled this correctly and it’s a good sign of how he’ll handle in the future.

Turns out nastrini got pneumonia which was the only reason his start was pushed back