Tommy Pham close to deal with White Sox

Vote4Pedro

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Taylor is still a starting CF, and probably wouldn't have come to Chicago to be the weak half of a corner OF platoon. Pham had offers all winter. He just thought he'd get more. 

You're a guy who complains that every cheap contract on the team is a player being overpaid. You should be happy the Sox stayed firm, and probably got Pham for a much lower payroll hit in April than they would have in January. 

Taylor is currently OPSing .609 in Pittsburgh. If he were doing that in Chicago, you'd be railing on that you could have told us before ST he would suck that bad. 

And Amed Rosario has played 2B, SS, and RF for the Rays, currently sports an .843 OPS, and signed for $1.5 million.  I also wanted him THIS OFFSEASON, not in April after a historically bad start.  You will argue he would have never signed here, which is fine.

But I still don’t think you even understood my post.  I wouldn’t have even bothered to sign Pham when Getz did.  The season is already lost so do you really think it matters either way?  Are you truly excited for Pham to join this 3-20 team, soon to be 3-21 team, and save them?  Clevinger too?  It just further proves what an awful job Getz did this offseason.  The guy had to sign additional reinforcements well into the start of the season because his roster was so awful.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And Amed Rosario has played 2B, SS, and RF for the Rays, currently sports an .843 OPS, and signed for $1.5 million.  I also wanted him THIS OFFSEASON, not in April after a historically bad start.  You will argue he would have never signed here, which is fine.

But I still don’t think you even understood my post.  I wouldn’t have even bothered to sign Pham when Getz did.  The season is already lost so do you really think it matters either way?  Are you truly excited for Pham to join this 3-20 team, soon to be 3-21 team, and save them?  Clevinger too?  It just further proves what an awful job Getz did this offseason.  The guy had to sign additional reinforcements well into the start of the season because his roster was so awful.

The Chicago White Sox, as an organization, aren't some dude sitting in his underwear, shitposting on the internet. They have to field a team. They can't field a team that will go 3-159, and then shitpost. They have to create some semblance of chance of winning to be able to lure casual fans into the ballpark. Nobody cares what you wanted this OFFSEASON. Why don't you send a resume to the White Sox? I'm sure they would be most interested in your concept of players that "blow" and of players that "don't blow". 

You had included Erick Fedde in your list of players who "blow" before ST, and now, somehow, you don't. I suppose you predicted that, somehow. 

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

The Chicago White Sox, as an organization, aren't some dude sitting in his underwear, shitposting on the internet. They have to field a team. They can't field a team that will go 3-159, and then shitpost. They have to create some semblance of chance of winning to be able to lure casual fans into the ballpark. Nobody cares what you wanted this OFFSEASON. Why don't you send a resume to the White Sox? I'm sure they would be most interested in your concept of players that "blow" and of players that "don't blow". 

You had included Erick Fedde in your list of players who "blow" before ST, and now, somehow, you don't. I suppose you predicted that, somehow. 

“Shitpost”?  I hope when you do your “shitposting” that you are wearing your Depends instead of underwear.  Fortunately, I still have a few more years to go before I have to worry about that predicament.

But yeah, Getz’s acquisitions have done wonders at luring fans to the ballpark.  He should’ve dumpster dove even more this offseason.  It’s truly working

Speaking of attendance, the White Sox’s lack thereof poses a serious threat to their future in Chicago. So far, they’ve averaged just over 16,000 fans per game, the fourth-lowest in the league and a paltry share of Guaranteed Rate Field’s capacity of 40,615.

Even casual Sox fans know that Getz’s offseason was horseshit.  You seem to be the only Sox fan I’ve seen who actually defended it.  “Some semblance of chance of winning” already went out the window after their historically bad start and definitely by now with their current 3-21 record.  It’s still too small of a sample size for you though, so I’ll get back to you once they have played more games.

Regarding Fedde, I still don’t believe he will keep it up, although I hope he does so they can quickly trade him for something before he turns back into a pumpkin.  Don’t forget how Crochet was an ace after just three starts.  Meanwhile, you defended Getz and his awful offseason acquisitions of guys like DeJong, Lopez, Fletcher, Grossman, Soroka, Flexen, etc.  I’d say you’re batting a lot worse than I am on the offseason thus far.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

“Shitpost”?  I hope when you do your “shitposting” that you are wearing your Depends instead of underwear.  I still have a few more years to go before I have to worry about that predicament.

But yeah, Getz’s acquisitions have done wonders at luring fans to the ballpark.  He should’ve dumpster dove even more this offseason.  It’s truly working

Even casual Sox fans know that Getz’s offseason was horseshit.  You seem to be the only Sox fan I’ve seen who actually defended it.  “Some semblance of chance of winning” already went out the window after their historically bad start and definitely by now with their current 3-21 record.  It’s still too small of a sample size for you though, so I’ll get back to you once they have played more games.

Regarding Fedde, I still don’t believe he will keep it up, although I hope he does so they can quickly trade him for something before he turns back into a pumpkin.  Don’t forget how Crochet was an ace after just three starts.  Meanwhile, you defended Getz and his awful offseason acquisitions of guys like DeJong, Lopez, Fletcher, Grossman, Soroka, Flexen, etc.  I’d say you’re batting a lot worse than I am on the offseason thus far.

Don't forget Jesse Winker.

4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I beg to differ. The Sox as an organization are some dude sitting around in their under wear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

52 minutes ago, zisk said:

I beg to differ. The Sox as an organization are some dude sitting around in their under wear.

Maybe not the whole org, but at least Steve Stone’s Twitter seems to be.

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Seems quick. Only 3 games in the minors? Guessing they probably DFA Grossman? (if they even want to add Pham that is)

Intentional, so Pham could move on to another team if the Sox didn’t call him up quickly, rather than be stuck in AAA with the Sox.  But it’s not like Pham was hitting much in AAA.  Maybe they go with him anyways because of his success last season and the fact that Grossman has been absolutely terrible.

Either way, Getz is looking pathetic with all this roster scrambling.  Dude, it’s over.  Accept it.  You are setting records.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Intentional, so Pham could move on to another team if the Sox didn’t call him up quickly, rather than be stuck in AAA with the Sox.  But it’s not like Pham was hitting much in AAA.  Maybe they go with him anyways because of his success last season and the fact that Grossman has been absolutely terrible.

Either way, Getz is looking pathetic with all this roster scrambling.  Dude, it’s over.  Accept it.  You are setting records.

Whether you win 40 games or 50 games, it's still a shitty season.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I dont see the point. If he wants to opt out, who cares?

53 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Seems quick. Only 3 games in the minors? Guessing they probably DFA Grossman? (if they even want to add Pham that is)

I think he'll be up tomorrow.  They've already said he's playing in AAA today.  I am sure he'll handshake away the optout for a day.

Mentioned this in the fresh blood thread, but with Fletcher sitting 2 straight days against RHP and Pham playing CF in AAA, I actually would put my money on the Sox sending Fletcher down and keeping all the vets.  Would have to find the 40 man space for Pham somewhere other than Pillar or Grossman tho, which could get interesting. Watch the Sox DFA Sosa to keep all these washed vets. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think he'll be up tomorrow.  They've already said he's playing in AAA today.  I am sure he'll handshake away the optout for a day.

Mentioned this in the fresh blood thread, but with Fletcher sitting 2 straight days against RHP and Pham playing CF in AAA, I actually would put my money on the Sox sending Fletcher down and keeping all the vets.  Would have to find the 40 man space for Pham somewhere other than Pillar or Grossman tho, which could get interesting. Watch the Sox DFA Sosa to keep all these washed vets. 

Seems like Fletcher then. Wouldn't mind Vaughn going down either.

Just don't know who the 40-man move would be.

Edit: wait, we still have Dominic Leone? Our BP is currently 9 deep so maybe this is the easy DFA.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Seems like Fletcher then. Wouldn't mind Vaughn going down either.

Just don't know who the 40-man move would be.

Edit: wait, we still have Dominic Leone? Our BP is currently 9 deep so maybe this is the easy DFA.

I doubt Sox will go a pitcher short and a 5-man bench. Still could play 60-day IL games with Davis Martin, if they wanted to burn the service time. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I doubt Sox will go a pitcher short and a 5-man bench. Still could play 60-day IL games with Davis Martin, if they wanted to burn the service time. 

Well, sending Fletcher down and DFAing Leone would mean they could call up a reliever on the 40-man. That's the angle I was going for. Unless a guy like Clevinger could make a start tomorrow but I have not followed him at all.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Well, sending Fletcher down and DFAing Leone would mean they could call up a reliever on the 40-man. That's the angle I was going for. Unless a guy like Clevinger could make a start tomorrow but I have not followed him at all.

Wouldn't Pham be taking Leone's 40 man spot in that scenario?   I believe Clevinger in starting in AAA this weekend (maybe even today). 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Wouldn't Pham be taking Leone's 40 man spot in that scenario?   I believe Clevinger in starting in AAA this weekend (maybe even today). 

Yeah he would be, but I was thinking if they still wanted an arm and if they were sending down Fletcher.

We'll just see what they do because it could be as simple as DFAing Grossman ha the 40-man relievers I looked at (that are even eligible to be called up) aren't doing too good haha

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You are a constant ray of sunshine. Getz' job isn't to accept massive failure. It's to improve the team every chance he finds.

He pretty much had his hands tied by the slashed payroll. I really don't think there was much he could do besides spend a little here and there and try to get some projects to turn into minor leaguers at the TDL.

I have no idea if Getz will be a good GM or not. It's difficult to say when JR is pulling all the strings.

I really have no idea what you think should've happened this off season but I'm pretty sure it was unrealistic from Reinsdorf's perspective. Saying that Getz should just do nothing now isn't going to happen. He has to reshape the future of this franchise without money . Because of that everything is just baby steps that look unimpressive and unimportant . But another minor leaguer at the TDL could end up an important piece for the future no matter how remote that seems.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You are a constant ray of sunshine. Getz' job isn't to accept massive failure. It's to improve the team every chance he finds.

He pretty much had his hands tied by the slashed payroll. I really don't think there was much he could do besides spend a little here and there and try to get some projects to turn into minor leaguers at the TDL.

I have no idea if Getz will be a good GM or not. It's difficult to say when JR is pulling all the strings.

I really have no idea what you think should've happened this off season but I'm pretty sure it was unrealistic from Reinsdorf's perspective. Saying that Getz should just do nothing now isn't going to happen. He has to reshape the future of this franchise without money . Because of that everything is just baby steps that look unimpressive and unimportant . But another minor leaguer at the TDL could end up an important piece for the future no matter how remote that seems.

Yes, this excuse was used for Rick Hahn and the general response was that if it was so bad, he could just have not taken the job.

GMs with tighter leashes were able to build rosters that weren't on track to be the worst team in major league history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1