Talkin Baseball

quickman

Ok, i thought I would see this thread but it appears nobody added yet. Talkin baseball is on right now on am 1000. A couple of notes I have taken so far:

Per Bruce Levine:

1) Ross Gload is not an everyday First baseman. Sox will look for one if konerko gets traded. Gload is a nice part time player. I completley agree and have said that many times on this board. Good to see that others feel the same way.

2) Sox will not get Randy johnson, he will want another year and possibly two at 16 million per. Sox won't do that.

3) Good decision not to give Vizquel the third year.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i thought I would see this thread but it appears nobody added yet. Talkin baseball is on right now on am 1000. A couple of notes I have taken so far:

Per Bruce Levine:

1) Ross Gload is not an everyday First baseman. Sox will look for one if konerko gets traded. Gload is a nice part time player. I completley agree and have said that many times on this board. Good to see that others feel the same way.

2) Sox will not get Randy johnson, he will want another year and possibly two at 16 million per. Sox won't do that.

3) Good decision not to give Vizquel the third year.

Thank god for no Randy Johnson! :notworthy

Don't count us out yet.  Levine is the same guy who said Visquel to the Sox was a done deal.

I don't think we'll end up with the Big Unit, but I do think we are far from out of the running.

2nd place in the RJ sweepstakes might has well been 1,000,000th place. Don't tell me what you tried to do, tell me what you've done.

Why get Randy when you can get a Matt Clement or Russ Ortiz? Sure Randy is better, but will be more than double the salary of both and Randy is 10 years older than both. Finally, the gain of Ortiz or Clement while still having Garland and Konerko is way better than Losing Garland and Konerko while obtaining Randy.

Why get Randy when you can get a Matt Clement or Russ Ortiz?  Sure Randy is better, but will be more than double the salary of both and Randy is 10 years older than both.  Finally, the gain of Ortiz or Clement while still having Garland and Konerko is way better than Losing Garland and Konerko while obtaining Randy.

ding ding ding

we have a winner

either that or they sign a SP in addition to randy johnson and get someone like nick johnson

that would be nice as well

Why get Randy when you can get a Matt Clement or Russ Ortiz?  Sure Randy is better, but will be more than double the salary of both and Randy is 10 years older than both.  Finally, the gain of Ortiz or Clement while still having Garland and Konerko is way better than Losing Garland and Konerko while obtaining Randy.

Ortiz would be a big mistake. I think his ERA was over 6 the last 2 months of the season, and his velocity dropped 5-7 mph. I think you would be looking at a major waste of money if you signed him, a perfomance that would remind you of Todd Ritchie or Billy Koch. Clement will finish at about .500 when the season is done, barring his shoulder exploding. He is one of those guys who pitches well enough to think you have something more than you really do with him,he is not a big winner. Johnson, while he'd only be around a year or two, is dominating and intimidating. He pitches inside. Contreras and Garland may learn something from him. Konerko could be replaced, and its very unlikely he would reach the numbers he had in 2004 again in 2005, plus he's a free agent at the end of this year anyway. If it comes down to the Sox not getting RJ because he doesn't want to come here, that would be one thing. If it comes down to the White Sox not willing to extend him a season, let's just say I would find it very disheartening.

Oh I don't know... BECAUSE HE IS ONE OF THE BEST PITCHERS IN BASEBALL!!!

It's not all the sox call. RJ has to want to come here, too. He may not

but the Sox aren't a RJ away from the playoffs. They need much more than just RJ to get there. Yet his salary [and the cost in talent] would prevent the Sox from getting the players they need to just get to the playoffs.

JR sees the value. RJ will not turn this team into a winner. It will just bring back the revolving door 5th slot and hurt our offense for next year and in the future.

RJ = Pipe Dream

RJ along with JR signing anyone else (which would max out our payroll even trading away konerko)= When hell freezes over.

Plus 40+ year olds have been known to get hurt. If something happened to him god forbid we turn from a second, third place team to a last place team.

Like I said before if we had the Cubs pay roll I'd say get him. With our payroll. NO WAY IN HELL!

YES.

I've argued these points in another Randy Johnson thread. We have to understand some players may not want to join this organization. Mediocrity is not a selling point, and neither is the weakness of this division. When the choices are between the White Sox, Angels, Cardinals, and Yankees we should be at the bottom.

/Shawn Chacon is still available.

I agree, RJ won't come here unless we strengthen the team in other places which won't be able to happen with his big salary unless they decide to raise the budget (unlikely). I think we should sign the best free agent pitcher. I think a lefty would help balance out the rotation. Odalis Perez maybe, with Garland as a number 5 would be a solid rotation while maintaining a solid lineup. Then add in another reliever. Sounds good to me.

but the Sox aren't a RJ away from the playoffs. They need much more than just RJ to get there. Yet his salary [and the cost in talent] would prevent the Sox from getting the players they need to just get to the playoffs.

And that is what I am thinking. The only thing that would stop the Sox from going after Randy Johnson is if the Unit said no.

JR sees the value. RJ will not turn this team into a winner. It will just bring back the revolving door 5th slot and hurt our offense for next year and in the future.

RJ = Pipe Dream

RJ along with JR signing anyone else (which would max out our payroll even trading away konerko)= When hell freezes over.

Plus 40+ year olds have been known to get hurt. If something happened to him god forbid we turn from a second, third place team to a last place team.

Like I said before if we had the Cubs pay roll I'd say get him. With our payroll. NO WAY IN HELL!

They would almost undoubtedly bring in a 5th starter from somewhere. They would not depend on Diaz-Grilli-your mom to be our 5th starter again.