Sox Owner Replies to Penny Pinching Charge

TLAK

Sadly by the time our payroll is 90 million it'll do us as much good as our 65 million dollar payroll does us now :headshake

Is it just me, but does anyone else find it surreal that we are discussing $90,000,000 payrolls for a baseball team?

Players use to work jobs in the off-season to make ends meet and would try to line up contacts for careers after they finished playing a kids game. Now they are set for life. I guess that is progress.

Is it just me, but does anyone else find it surreal that we are discussing $90,000,000 payrolls for a baseball team?

Players use to work jobs in the off-season to make ends meet and would try to line up contacts for careers after they finished playing a kids game. Now they are set for life. I guess that is progress.

I'd play baseball for room and board.

I'd play baseball for room and board.

And that's about what it use to be. If a fellow could support himself during the season, maybe have a couple dollars extra in his pocket, if felt like the luckiest man in the world. Now if they don't have private planes and luxery hotel rooms, they feel cheated.

Players use to have to live in the community. A man with a family couldn't afford two homes on a player's salary. Player's could be seen in the grocery store and playing at the park.

I know they are making ungodly amounts of money for the corporations they are working for, maybe that's the root of the problem. I'll bet ol' Chuck Cominsky wasn't looking to make a King's Ransom from the team, any more than Wrigley was.

And that's about what it use to be. If a fellow could support himself during the season, maybe have a couple dollars extra in his pocket, if felt like the luckiest man in the world. Now if they don't have private planes and luxery hotel rooms, they feel cheated.

Players use to have to live in the community. A man with a family couldn't afford two homes on a player's salary. Player's could be seen in the grocery store and playing at the park.

I know they are making ungodly amounts of money for the corporations they are working for, maybe that's the root of the problem. I'll bet ol' Chuck Cominsky wasn't looking to make a King's Ransom from the team, any more than Wrigley was.

Ol' Chuck Comiskey would've also been at the head of the TV money line too.

Don't kid yourself as you reminise about the good ol' days, it's the TV $$$ that drives the sport(and salaries). What was once an economic boon for the owners has slowly crept to the players coffers, that no doubt would piss the ol' Roman off to no end.

I hate JR and his group of investors. I especially hate einhorn. In the 23 years of ownership they haven't accomplished squat (3 meaningless divisions). In 31 years of ownership Steinbrenner has won 9 pennants and 6 World Series, not to mention many divisional championships. We win a division every seven/eight years to their WS every five on average. Whippee!

I've been a Sox fan way before jr and his bunch and I'll be a fan after they're gone. Threatening to move to Sox to get his stadium and leading the 94 strike is what made me hate him the most. The best day in Sox history for me will be when they are all gone. Let them enjoy their money in hell.

I just have one question to ask all these CWS fans who think the owners are cheap:

If they work the trade for Vaz & pick up 24M/3 & pushing the payroll higher than it has ever been will you still feel they are cheap?

i really wouldn't call them cheap, but i think they are somewhat unsure on how to get the the final solution, that being the championship.

i think they are getting bad advice on how to do it. i always thought jr and co will spend the money, but first they need to move into a position to win. i will say this, 2 yrs ago they were there all they needed to add was another pitcher. now we are several pieces away imo to make another move.

however can they do by let say getting another pit, cat, and/or another 2b, will that do it....... hell yeah and they will be richer for it. both at the attendance and at the bank.

• 7 years later...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07...useum-babe-ruth

This thread was QUITE the find. Seems pretty incredible now. Amazing how everything in life comes down to money and greed (see story above).

I wasn't a member here, I was just doing a search (the name of the Sox board member Pogofsky) to see if this story was somewhere in the archives...and we have this amazing thread written the year before we spent just $65 million dollars and blew through the playoffs and World Series.

Remembering the mentality of Sox fans at that time, the frustration, things have changed so much from back then.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07...useum-babe-ruth

This thread was QUITE the find. Seems pretty incredible now. Amazing how everything in life comes down to money and greed (see story above).

I wasn't a member here, I was just doing a search (the name of the Sox board member Pogofsky) to see if this story was somewhere in the archives...and we have this amazing thread written the year before we spent just $65 million dollars and blew through the playoffs and World Series.

Remembering the mentality of Sox fans at that time, the frustration, things have changed so much from back then.

The search function hasn't worked for me since a long long time ago? What am I doing wrong?

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
The search function hasn't worked for me since a long long time ago? What am I doing wrong?

It was disabled a long time ago as it really slows down board functionality. If you want to search something go to google and put in site:soxtalk.com at the end of your search.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
It was disabled a long time ago as it really slows down board functionality. If you want to search something go to google and put in site:soxtalk.com at the end of your search.
I feel dumb now but how can you learn if you don't ask? Thanks much for the tip.