Put together your Soxtalk coaching staff

BigSqwert

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 03:21 AM)
The sad thing is, I actually believe this crew could outperform our current staff, after a reasonable period for a learning curve.

Edit: Well, aside from the pitching/hitting coach spots...that takes a bit more technical knowledge than can be expected from a normal person.

Excuse me, hitting coach doesn't matter. These are a bunch of adults that don't need guidance from anyone.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
Who would you assemble from this site to coach our beloved Sox?

(GM) NorthSideSox72

- Solid understanding of players and leagues

- Good with numbers

- Thinks short & long term

(Manager) lostfan

- Has the ability to lead

- Excellent communication skills

- I think he'd be a good motivator

- Brutally honest

(Pitching Coach) fathom

- Seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to pitching

- Has watched more innings pitched than anyone on this site

(Hitting Coach) southsideirish71

- Would not use a batting tee for players

- Would remind hitters this isn't the NL

(Advanced scouts) Kalapse, chw42, Jordan4Life, Greg Hibbard

- The stat heads

(Team trainer) ptatc

- Only medic on this site that I'm aware of

(Team beat writer) bozzie

- speaks in 3rd person

- loves writing about the team

(Southpaw) greg775

- good at cheerleading

(Beer vendor) knightni

- will be fired in mid-April for consuming large quantity of beer while working

(Batboy) Reddy

- Only Soxtalk member that is within height/weight restrictions for Sox batboys

Thanks, I appreciate the vote. However, been there done that. Unless you pay me Hefe Weizen (alot too.) I'm not going back to that job. :cheers

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
If J4L was a beer vendor, there would be no more beer left to sell...

I was actually thinking of this very same topic the other day...

I'd make Kalapse the GM, with Balta as assistant GM and CHW42 as assistant assistant GM.

My manager would be Fathom, with a pitching coach of Rock Raines and a hitting coach of DocSox24.

1st base coach would be Gingerkid and 3rd base coach would be Lost.

Sqwert and Qwerty would be my play-by-play and color men, respectively.

Russ would handle player development along with J4L.

Steve would be my VP of marketing.

First order of business, more long toss and established roles.

(GM) Kalapse, with assistant GM Qwerty.

Every good GM has a rock solid right hand man

(Manager) lostfan

If anything, lostfan can take the team to Hooters-esque places and make sure they have a good time

(Pitching Coach) Greg Hibbard

I will take a former soft tossing lefty as our pitching coach any time

(Hitting Coach) southsideirish71

If Dunn continues to forget how to hit, then SSI71 will just post all of Dunns personal emails on Soxtalk to motivate him to play better

(Advanced scouts) JPN and Ozzieball

This is actually true to life(almost)

(Team trainer) ptatc

Hefeweisen as the payment? Deal!

(Team beat writer) Fathom

Inside sources? Intrigue? Doubt? Done.

(Southpaw) Papa tru

Needs a little more experience with the children, perfect opportunity

(Beer vendor) FlaSoxxJim

Be prepared to defend your choice of Miller Lite over the latest microbrew.

(Batboy) Gregory Pratt

Just so he can hang out with Gavin

(Announcers) SoxFan1 and SS2K5

Experience necessary, these two have it

(Producers for TV Broadcast) Steve9347 and JoeCool24

Nicknames and awesome graphics

(Radio Team)Greg775 and ElRockinMT

no need to explain. They will paint a vivid picture of greatness

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
If J4L was a beer vendor, there would be no more beer left to sell...

I was actually thinking of this very same topic the other day...

I'd make Kalapse the GM, with Balta as assistant GM and CHW42 as assistant assistant GM.

My manager would be Fathom, with a pitching coach of Rock Raines and a hitting coach of DocSox24.

1st base coach would be Gingerkid and 3rd base coach would be Lost.

Sqwert and Qwerty would be my play-by-play and color men, respectively.

Russ would handle player development along with J4L.

Steve would be my VP of marketing.

Throw yourself in there too, you honestly strike some of the best conversation out of me on this board.

I'll make the W.S. soxtalk roster. But in all honestly, it can go alot of ways with these posters. I won't count myself (if I would of, it'll be a scout) There are others who I missed and are deserving as well. (but these guys stick out more in my mind)

(GM) Kalapse or qwerty

Can't go wrong with either Kal or qwerty. By far the best all around.

(Assistant GM) chw42

The "Rick Hahn" of the soxtalk assistant if you will. His saber knowledge (and contract negotiation in numbers) will be a nice 1-2 punch for Kal or qwert. (If Cheat was still posting here, he would've been the pick instead)

(Manager) Steve9347, Papa Tru, or NUKE

No doubt in my mind either of these three will run the club well. I personally lean more towards NUKE as he reminds me of the Lou Brown of soxtalk.

(Pitching Coach) fathom or Balta1701

Two guys who will definitely watch out for my pitcher's arms and overall fatigue. Can be alittle anal with the pitch count, but I'll take that when those arms are still fresh come playoff time.

(Hitting Coach) Dick Allen or BigSqwert

I will shock the baseball world by hiring Greg Walker's favorite fanboy in DA. Scary thing is, I'll bet he would be a better hitting coach. Already has the username for it. And I'll admit, I picked Sqwert entirely of his name. Who wouldn't want Gordon Beckham sqwertin loads all over those center field gaps? BigSqwert will definitely unleash Slayer back.

(Director of amateur scouting) Rex Hudler, Cerbaho-WG or Chisoxfn

Long retired on these boards as the original scouts but any of them can be the directors of it.

(Scouts) danman31, Ozzieball, JPN366, DirtySox, scenario

The best in the soxtalk business. I personally think most of these guys fly under the radar too much.

(International scouts) JoshPR, DBAH0, Flash_Tizzle

I need my scouts to actually scout the other areas and I know these guys will do them well. Plus, other than Flash, (who will get a nice bonus to move out to the Dominican Republic for a while to scout for the next Liriano) they actually live in their respected countries so they have the time to closely watch on kid's potential.

(Team trainer) ptatc

The biggest no brainer out of any choice.

(Team beat writer) SoxFan1, Milkman delivers or J4L

I need a beat writer who tells it like it is. No bulls***ing with anybody. Doesn't get any better than these three. (I would personally lean more towards J4L for entertainment purposes. I would have added Gregory Pratt if he didn't scare me, but SoxFan1 can pick up the experience part of it, if he's the pick)

(Sox insider) docsox24, RockRaines, spataro51 or bucket-of-suck

Who wouldn't want either of these guys inside the FO news/rumors that 9/10 times proves to be true?

(Southpaw) greg775, elrockinMT

Two guys who will definitely keep the crowd into the game with their funny, optimistic ways. Down 10-0?! Wouldn't feel like it with these two in the stands!

(Beer vendor) drunkbomber, witesoxfan or Heads22

A guy who will serve you beer already wasted?! (and will probably drink yours anyway?) I'll take that as my beer vendor.

(Sox Historians) Tex, BigEdWalsh, FlaSoxxJim, YASNY

There are a couple older posters as well, but I feel these guys have seen enough baseball in their lived to write some great stuff in sox history. Great knowledge.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
I'll make the W.S. soxtalk roster. But in all honestly, it can go alot of ways with these posters. I won't count myself (if I would of, it'll be a scout) There are others who I missed and are deserving as well. (but these guys stick out more in my mind)

(GM) Kalapse or qwerty

Can't go wrong with either Kal or qwerty. By far the best all around.

(Assistant GM) chw42

The "Rick Hahn" of the soxtalk assistant if you will. His saber knowledge (and contract negotiation in numbers) will be a nice 1-2 punch for Kal or qwert. (If Cheat was still posting here, he would've been the pick instead)

(Manager) Steve9347, Papa Tru, or NUKE

No doubt in my mind either of these three will run the club well. I personally lean more towards NUKE as he reminds me of the Lou Brown of soxtalk.

(Pitching Coach) fathom or Balta1701

Two guys who will definitely watch out for my pitcher's arms and overall fatigue. Can be alittle anal with the pitch count, but I'll take that when those arms are still fresh come playoff time.

(Hitting Coach) Dick Allen or BigSqwert

I will shock the baseball world by hiring Greg Walker's favorite fanboy in DA. Scary thing is, I'll bet he would be a better hitting coach. Already has the username for it. And I'll admit, I picked Sqwert entirely of his name. Who wouldn't want Gordon Beckham sqwertin loads all over those center field gaps? BigSqwert will definitely unleash Slayer back.

(Director of amateur scouting) Rex Hudler, Cerbaho-WG or Chisoxfn

Long retired on these boards as the original scouts but any of them can be the directors of it.

The best in the soxtalk business. I personally think most of these guys fly under the radar too much.

(International scouts) JoshPR, DBAH0, Flash_Tizzle

I need my scouts to actually scout the other areas and I know these guys will do them well. Plus, other than Flash, (who will get a nice bonus to move out to the Dominican Republic for a while to scout for the next Liriano) they actually live in their respected countries so they have the time to closely watch on kid's potential.

(Team trainer) ptatc

The biggest no brainer out of any choice.

(Team beat writer) SoxFan1, Milkman delivers or J4L

I need a beat writer who tells it like it is. No bulls***ing with anybody. Doesn't get any better than these three. (I would personally lean more towards J4L for entertainment purposes. I would have added Gregory Pratt if he didn't scare me, but SoxFan1 can pick up the experience part of it, if he's the pick)

(Sox insider) docsox24, RockRaines, spataro51 or bucket-of-suck

Who wouldn't want either of these guys inside the FO news/rumors that 9/10 times proves to be true?

(Southpaw) greg775, elrockinMT

Two guys who will definitely keep the crowd into the game with their funny, optimistic ways. Down 10-0?! Wouldn't feel like it with these two in the stands!

(Beer vendor) drunkbomber, witesoxfan or Heads22

A guy who will serve you beer already wasted?! (and will probably drink yours anyway?) I'll take that as my beer vendor.

(Sox Historians) Tex, BigEdWalsh, FlaSoxxJim, YASNY

There are a couple older posters as well, but I feel these guys have seen enough baseball in their lived to write some great stuff in sox history. Great knowledge.

Woohoo, a mention! How egotistical am I that I didn't bother reading the thread, just searched each page for my name? :lol:

The thing is...and even if it's just a theoretical exercise, 20 years ago, having this conversation would get everyone laughed at.

With the success of "non-traditional" backgrounds such as Ivy Leaguers and MBA's succeeding now as GM's, the door is open, but only a bit.

In that sense, many future executives do have Billy Beane to thank...for making nerdy but stat-saavy cool.

However, as a manager...it's very hard to this day to imagine someone without any professional baseball experience 1) getting more than a job interview and 2) getting the respect of his players, unless he could prove right off the bat that he could help them individually perform as well as make the team stronger than the sum of all its parts.

Scouting, same thing.

The areas that have really opened up since the early 90's essentially have been broadcasting and the front office.

If you took anyone who posted at SoxTalk and made them manager this year, they wouldn't have won more than 85 games or lost more than 90.

There's more to it than Steve Fisher just rolling out the ball for the Fab Five every night and letting them do whatever they wanted.

Edited by caulfield12

GM: Kalapse

Assistant GM: Kalapse

Manager: Kalapse

Hitting Coach: Kalapse

Pitching Coach: Kalapse

Bench Coach: Kalapse

1st Base Coach: Kalapse

3rd Base Coach: Kalapse

Scouting Director: Kalapse

Marketing Director: Kalapse

Scout: Kalapse

International Scout: Kalapse

Trainer: Kalapse

Batboy: Kalapse

Beat Writer: Kalapse

TV Color: Kalapse

TV PBP: Kalapse

Groundskeeper: Kalapse

Southpaw: Kalapse

SP: Kalapse

MR: Kalapse

CL: Kalapse

C: Kalapse

1B: Kalapse

2B: Kalapse

3B: Kalapse

SS: Kalapse

LF: Kalapse

CF: Kalapse

RF: Kalapse

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)

Ha if by under the radar you mean rarely posts in this forum then yes, I am under the radar.

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
GM: Kalapse

Assistant GM: Kalapse

Manager: Kalapse

Hitting Coach: Kalapse

Pitching Coach: Kalapse

Bench Coach: Kalapse

1st Base Coach: Kalapse

3rd Base Coach: Kalapse

Scouting Director: Kalapse

Marketing Director: Kalapse

Scout: Kalapse

International Scout: Kalapse

Trainer: Kalapse

Batboy: Kalapse

Beat Writer: Kalapse

TV Color: Kalapse

TV PBP: Kalapse

Groundskeeper: Kalapse

Southpaw: Kalapse

MR: Kalapse

CL: Kalapse

C: Kalapse

1B: Kalapse

2B: Kalapse

3B: Kalapse

SS: Kalapse

LF: Kalapse

CF: Kalapse

RF: Kalapse

Can I be at least the random moron fan that runs onto the field (I'd be the first black male that I know of) to get attention? I might do it if I'm drunk enough. One of these days, Soxtalk. And you'll know it's me.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
Can I be at least the random moron fan that runs onto the field (I'd be the first black male that I know of) to get attention? I might do it if I'm drunk enough. One of these days, Soxtalk. And you'll know it's me.

Make sure you go to that game without a shirt on. It enhances the running onto the field experience.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
If you actually think that's a mile long post, well...I'm not quite sure what to say.

I guess I should be like Oney and just out sent tweets.

i read it on my cell phone. thus, twas long.

but you're right, for you that might as well have been a tweet. :)