Ozzie Guillen Released from Contract

HuskyCaucasian

"The Florida Marlins believe I am the right man for the job to bring another World Series to South Florida. And just as it has always been with me, winning is my only mission,'' Guillen wrote. "It's good being wanted and more importantly it's good knowing where you stand. Although it's sad my time with the White Sox has ended, I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be a part of the Marlins organization. I have an unbelievable amount of respect for the Marlins, owner Jeffrey Loria, president Larry Beinfest and general manager Michael Hill. I can't thank them enough for this opportunity and look forward to the future. I can't wait to get started.

This was taken down shortly after being posted! OG Florida ass kissing bulls*** underway.

Edited by Soxfest

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:27 AM)
@dan_bernstein Dan Bernstein

Kenny looks bad. Wear a damn tie. Act like an exec.

@dan_bernstein Dan Bernstein

Bad showing for a nervous, tight, dry-mouthed, defensive Ken Williams.

When I was watching the Kenny press conference, all I could think was, "why are you still here?"

The guy should be gone. Period.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
Marlins unveiled their new logo today. Sucks for Ozzie that he will have to wear this:

pg2_e_marlinslogo_300.jpg

Good God that's effin' horrendous!!! What a putrid color combination...not to mention overall design. Embarrassing. Really...is this a joke?

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)
When I was watching the Kenny press conference, all I could think was, "why are you still here?"

The guy should be gone. Period.

He looked like he just woke up from a nap or something. But yeah, I wouldn't mind Kenny getting the boot either.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)
Why can't the Ozzie haters say at least, "Thanks for the memories."

I would think that will come in coming days or months.

The man is not evil, folks.

You can't take away 2005.

And our favorite team's failures are not all on this man.

Give him his props, please. Or consider doing so.

Because they were mostly bad memories. My memories of ozzie himself, not the white sox while he was here.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
Clearly, as Ozzie's become a parody of himself he's become a distraction to the players. Talking to Florida while managing the Sox is close to unforgivable to me.

None of that stuff is ever distracting to players. We so want to believe it but in reality it's not. Why should that be unforgivable? It happens in sports all of the time. Is it unforgivable while working at White Castle to fill out an application for Burger King?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:34 AM)
"The Florida Marlins believe I am the right man for the job to bring another World Series to South Florida. And just as it has always been with me, winning is my only mission,'' Guillen wrote. "It's good being wanted and more importantly it's good knowing where you stand. Although it's sad my time with the White Sox has ended, I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be a part of the Marlins organization. I have an unbelievable amount of respect for the Marlins, owner Jeffrey Loria, president Larry Beinfest and general manager Michael Hill. I can't thank them enough for this opportunity and look forward to the future. I can't wait to get started.

This was taken down shortly after being posted! OG Florida ass kissing bulls*** underway.

Nauseating.

His inability to keep his mouth shut and his ego in check will dog him forever. Three more days of silence and he could have salvaged at least a little respect. Now it's just ugly, and im guessing his mouth gets him in deep trouble with the Marlins execs he has so much "respect" for long before he wins them a World Series.

He has a ready-made Latino following in Miami, but that will not be nearly enough for his ravenous ego...He'll be jonesing for national attention.

He will need to crank up his d-bag quotient to eleven to get noticed. Not easy in a town obsessed with LBj and crew.

The 2005 championship was a team effort--championships always are. He won it it by staying out of the way and letting the team kick butt.

He then proceeded to stay out of the way for the next six years when he should have been kicking his underperforming team's butt.

This happened three years too late.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 06:14 AM)
JesseSanchezMLB Jesse Sanchez

by ESPNChiSox

A source told MLB.com that the compensation is expected to be infielder Osvaldo Martinez and a Minor Leaguer pitcher for Ozzie Guillen.

18 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Osvaldo seems like a AAA caliber SS. Had a real good overall season in 2010, but has been miserable this year. BA had him #5 Florida prospect heading into the year. No real concern about who's in this trade though.

Edited by fathom

"I wish I had a dollar for every time that I had that thought, why did it have to come to this? But I don't have answers," Williams said, doing his best Kenny "The Genius" Williams upset act. "It's tough to pinpoint exactly where we got off track. Winning cures a lot of that. We are all very competitive around here, and ­sometimes with that competitive drive, frustration comes with it."

Cowley yet again with the "Kenny "The Genius" Williams" label inserted into a story involving KW. He's more biased than Fox News.

LOL.

Can't even use that word related to a famous sign in the hills overlooking LA.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/27/2426...-headed-to.html

Edited by caulfield12

What a day.

Surprised- timing 2d before end of season.

Resigned- a change was needed though I like Ozzie and the disaster of 2011 falls on 3+ players mostly, not Ozzie.

Emotionally crushed- watching his last press conference.

Just empty- watching KW look sad and scared and tired.

Proud- of PK.

Fearful- that MB is done here after tomorrow.

Angry- that Cowley gets info correct, but he's such a meanspirited jerk.

Disappointed- that Ozzie couldn't hold back on blogging his excitement about Miami.

Unfortunately & unexpectedly not hopeful- for the White Sox future.

Fatigued- over all of the above.

Going to bed.

G'night all.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspap...,1331283.column

I wonder if Buerhle was saying "shut up" more directed to Ozzie or just the whole situation in general with KW/Ozzie going back and forth, back and forth like a ping pong match.

Will be interesting to see how this affects the situation with Buehrle returning, especially if Cooper's back.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...,3561864.column

Will be interested to greg775's reaction to this one...he really leveled the boom on Ozzie.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 01:21 AM)
Osvaldo seems like a AAA caliber SS. Had a real good overall season in 2010, but has been miserable this year. BA had him #5 Florida prospect heading into the year. No real concern about who's in this trade though.

Osvaldo for Oswaldo?

Too funny.

It's like the Berry/Barry thing again with LA. At least KW has a sense of humor.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspap...,1331283.column

I wonder if Buerhle was saying "shut up" more directed to Ozzie or just the whole situation in general with KW/Ozzie going back and forth, back and forth like a ping pong match.

Will be interesting to see how this affects the situation with Buehrle returning, especially if Cooper's back.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...,3561864.column

Will be interested to greg775's reaction to this one...he really leveled the boom on Ozzie.

Buehrle, Paulie, and Hawk all ripped on Ozzie.

Wow.

The Sun Times says Ozzie will double his salary in Florida.

Good for u, Oz.

It also said, "welcome back to irrelevancy south side."

New manager has BIG shoes to fill.

Also said

Those candidates are rumored to Buddy Bell, Class AAA ­Charlotte manager Joe McEwing or Sandy Alomar Jr. Forget the Tony La Russa talk, since one source already has said he wasn’t interested in managing with ­Williams as GM.

LOL at the candidates. Buddy f***ing Bell ... great.

Sandy Alomar?

Joe McEwing?

My god.

Edited by greg775

F--- more years," said Guillen. "I want more money. I don't work here for years. No, I want more money. Years -- what, I'm going to die poor with the White Sox? Hell, no."

Guillen wanted an extension and a significant raise from the $2 million or so the Sox were believed to be paying him. With the Marlins, who move into a new stadium next season, Ozzie will get both: more years AND more money. Lots of it. And with it, he said, will come happiness.

Probably safe to say no one's going to have the personality that he has. I'll take the under on that. Ozzie's Ozzie. It's been a wild eight years. -- White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko

"Life is about money," Guillen said. "People don't believe that. People are happy after they make money. F--- it."

Reinsdorf was smart to agree to a divorce now -- not because Guillen has forgotten how to manage and win (he hasn't), but because a year of Guillen is like dog years. He can't help but wear out his welcome.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...g-ozzie-guillen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:06 AM)
F--- more years," said Guillen. "I want more money. I don't work here for years. No, I want more money. Years -- what, I'm going to die poor with the White Sox? Hell, no."

Guillen wanted an extension and a significant raise from the $2 million or so the Sox were believed to be paying him. With the Marlins, who move into a new stadium next season, Ozzie will get both: more years AND more money. Lots of it. And with it, he said, will come happiness.

Probably safe to say no one's going to have the personality that he has. I'll take the under on that. Ozzie's Ozzie. It's been a wild eight years. -- White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko

"Life is about money," Guillen said. "People don't believe that. People are happy after they make money. F--- it."

Reinsdorf was smart to agree to a divorce now -- not because Guillen has forgotten how to manage and win (he hasn't), but because a year of Guillen is like dog years. He can't help but wear out his welcome.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...g-ozzie-guillen

Ozzie gets the moolah. Good for him.

s***, double the salary according to Sun Times? Four mill a year?

Take the money and run.

Keeing KW is a fricking joke. Fire him as well and it'll be a better week for Sox fans.

While the Marlins will grab plenty of headlines over the next few years, the real winner here may be the White Sox. They had to be tiring of Guillen's continual public blathering about his contract situation, especially considering a year remained at about $2 million. No one else could have gotten away with talking so much about themselves when the team was desperately trying to remain in the race. But that is the gift of Ozzie. He can act selfishly, even petulantly, and folks think it's funny.

White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who has long loved Guillen, met with the manager today. But Reinsdorf seemed to support his GM Williams more in recent months, according to people familiar with the situation. While Williams isn't exactly the picture of calm behind the scenes, he's quieter publicly and a better team player. One person familiar with Reinsdorf's thinking hinted that his first choice to replace Guillen may be someone currently managing in the big leagues, and the natural speculation will focus on the iconic Tony La Russa, who is among Reinsdorf's best friends and whom Reinsdorf has regretted firing as White Sox manager for more than two decades. La Russa is on a one-year deal with the Cardinals, who are still battling for the NL wild card.

In 2003, Williams shocked folks by hiring Guillen over his old Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston after an interview in which Guillen challenged Williams, and fought with Williams. Unfortunately, the fighting never stopped, escalating in recent years with one of Guillen's sons unabashedly ripping his father's boss on Twitter. Their relationship never seemed the same after middle son Oney Guillen kept targeting Williams, according to people familiar with the situation.

I wouldn't blame Williams for wanting Ozzie to go. If Ozzie can't contain his own son, how can he be expected to manage the team? Guillen will always be recalled for winning the first World Series in decades for the White Sox, in 2005, overcoming clubhouse dissension late in the season to roll through the playoffs with unhittable pitching and Ozzie pulling the strings.

But the winning slowed down, and the dissension never did. It was time for the White Sox to stop the madness.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1Z8OvVgTB

While Williams isn't exactly the picture of calm behind the scenes, he's quieter publicly and a better team player.

LOL.

This means Williams is a butt kisser.

Good job, KW. You won the battle. You sucked up to the right guy, your boss, whereas Oz won't stoop to kissing anybody's butt IMO.