Sox Post Winter Meetings

Marty34

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
Point is, Danks value is less than Santos. If Williams asks for player A from the Red Sox for Santos, he is not going to get him for Danks most likely.

I really doubt you are correct. I also would doubt KW would be inclined to trade Danks for what he got for Santos. Personally, I think KW knows what he can get for Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Quentin, but is holding off for a couple of reasons. Obviously hoping the bid goes higher, and I don't think he really wants his firesale to be completed before season ticket money is due. Its due Wednesday. If the Sox really are dumping guys, I would look for that to start a few days after the due date.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
This kind of dissection of a KW trade would never have happened before August/September of 2009.

Now, it's pretty much par for the course.

Certainly...he's not infallible, but everyone's in agreement with most of the moves he's made during his recent entire post 2001-2002 tenure except for Teahen, picking up Rios, both Swisher deals, Hudson/Holmberg and now Santos/Molina.

Other than that, even the Dunn and Peavy deals had a majority on their side when they were made. Or in 2010 when Rios was playing well. It's easy to say we were against these maneuvers in retrospect, but not many were.

Now the scale has tipped over to the other side where the majority are against a KW trade simply because it's a KW move and quite a few of his post-2008 moves have failed, so it's easier to take the pessimistic view.

In reality, nobody knows what will/could happen. Nobody knows for sure that Daniel Hudson would have pitched AS well for the White Sox, or that Kip Wells would have put up the same numbers in a competitive AL Central division that he did with the Pirates in the first 2-3 years after he was banished there.

John Danks sez hello.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
Jon heyman tweeted a few mins ago that yanks considering Danks for one of banuelos/montero/betances...even though kw asked for 2 of them. Shows Danks value higher than Santos...as get none of those for him.

So in other words, if it happens, we're getting Betances.

Jon heyman tweeted a few mins ago that yanks considering Danks for one of banuelos/montero/betances...even though kw asked for 2 of them. Shows Danks value higher than Santos...as get none of those for him.

Yep. Kenny made a big mistake by not having them dealt at the winter meetings...

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 07:54 AM)
So in other words, if it happens, we're getting Betances.

The Sox would lucky to land Betances for Danks. His value is not what most here think it is.

After the recent deals, he's definately going to test the market after next season so he's a rental.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
Will everyone be happy if Kenny did land this Betances guy for John Danks?

How good is Betances?

Betances would be a nice piece from the Yankees. Hopefully, the deal would include Austin Romine as well and possibly another lower level prospect. 6 years of Betances and Romine would be a nice get for Danks with one year left. I was dreaming of a package including Betances, Noesi, and Romine for Danks and Thornton but I would settle for one based around Betances

Heh. I remember during the meetings, the Sox were asking for 2 of those, the Yankees said none, and I said Danks would go for 1 of them when it was all over. I was only half-serious, but it seems like maybe that will happen.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
In a heartbeat. Though I'd much prefer Banuelos.

I'll take the stud catcher (or 1B/DH). Betances should be the only prospect KW can hold off on a bit. Yanks probably would then send Romine as a throw in or something. His mechanics scare me (not to mention he's already had surgery on his arm). Good potential none-the-less. In the end.. that's the type of deal you look for. I wouldn't mind Banuelos either though.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
I'll take the stud catcher (or 1B/DH). Betances should be the only prospect KW can hold off on a bit. Yanks probably would then send Romine as a throw in or something. His mechanics scare me (not to mention he's already had surgery on his arm). Good potential none-the-less. I wouldn't mind Banuelos either though.

Banuelos and Montero are indeed better prospects. Though I'm one of the many that doesn't see Montero sticking at C. With Betances, he has issues with mechanics and repeating his delivery. Not surprising for a man his size. He also needs to improve his changeup and sort out his control issues if he wants to continue starting. Many think he profiles better as a reliever. I wouldn't dislike KW acquiring him, but he's not my first choice. Coop could potentially work his magic though.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
The Sox would lucky to land Betances for Danks. His value is not what most here think it is.

After the recent deals, he's definately going to test the market after next season so he's a rental.

That's true, but one would think that if he's traded to the Yankees now and ends up having a season he's capable of, the Yankees would probably pay him. Other teams, I wouldn't be as confident of him staying there.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
I'd like if Kenny can find a way to get Gardner. Something like Danks, Quentin, + Prospect for Gardner, Romine, Betances/Banuelos.

Brett Gardner really doesn't help this team. Even if we remove Quentin, getting Gardner just benches a cheap option we have in De Aza who we don't really know about, and worse yet, Gardner is arb-eligible, is going to be getting expensive this year, and is only under team control for 3 years. He's the opposite of the kind of guy we should be targeting right now, based on the last deal we made.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
That's true, but one would think that if he's traded to the Yankees now and ends up having a season he's capable of, the Yankees would probably pay him. Other teams, I wouldn't be as confident of him staying there.

The Yankees would also be in a position to gain compensation even if he leaves. As long as he's traded for before the season starts and they make him a qualifying offer at the end of the year.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
The Yankees would also be in a position to gain compensation even if he leaves. As long as he's traded for before the season starts and they make him a qualifying offer at the end of the year.

And that compensation has been shown to have average potential surplus value of about $8 million (~2 wins).

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
Will everyone be happy if Kenny did land this Betances guy for John Danks?

How good is Betances?

I've seen Betances pitch often. He's the type who could be very good or very bad. Something along the lines of Daniel Cabrera. Huge pitcher, huge stuff, control problems. Daniel Cabrera was a really highly thought of prospect cause he had stuff that was just awesome. If Dellin can harness some control you could be looking at a right handed Randy Johnson as a ceiling or a Daniel Cabrera floor. Wide range there I know but I like Betances, he's a home grown guy from right here in Brooklyn, grew up a Yankees fan. Went to David Wells perfect game and all. I hope we hold onto him. At the most and I don't mean to s*** on Danks here, cause I've dreamed of him coming to the Yankees for the past year and a half... well dream is an overstatement but I think/hope you understand what I mean, but Dellin is the most you'll get out of the Yankees. The Yankees would trade Betances before they trade Noesi too. Noesi is throwing 96, touching 98 in winter ball. The FO views him as better than Nova as well. As for Dellin, you'd be trading Danks for a guy who has a 10% chance at being a star and that right there is worth it in the end if you know anything about how it works. IMO if the Yankees and White Sox trade it will be a package of three guys and none of those three nor Williams or Sanchez will be moved.

Edited by TheHugeUnit

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
I've seen Betances pitch often. He's the type who could be very good or very bad. Something along the lines of Daniel Cabrera. Huge pitcher, huge stuff, control problems. Daniel Cabrera was a really highly thought of prospect cause he had stuff that was just awesome. If Dellin can harness some control you could be looking at a right handed Randy Johnson as a ceiling or a Daniel Cabrera floor. Wide range there I know but I like Betances, he's a home grown guy from right here in Brooklyn, grew up a Yankees fan. Went to David Wells perfect game and all. I hope we hold onto him. At the most and I don't mean to s*** on Danks here, cause I've dreamed of him coming to the Yankees for the past year and a half... well dream is an overstatement but I think/hope you understand what I mean, but Dellin is the most you'll get out of the Yankees. The Yankees would trade Betances before they trade Noesi too. Noesi is throwing 96, touching 98 in winter ball. The FO views him as better than Nova as well. As for Dellin, you'd be trading Danks for a guy who has a 10% chance at being a star and that right there is worth it in the end if you know anything about how it works. IMO if the Yankees and White Sox trade it will be a package of three guys and none of those three nor Williams or Sanchez will be moved.

And you know absolutely nothing on what the Yankees will give up. Danks has the ceiling of being the Yanks second best pitcher tomorrow. With the Yanks offence he could be better than CC. He has had zero run support, and has had no luck with the Sox the past two years. I totally dislike folks who deal in absolutes, you know as much as everybody else, unless you work for the Yankees.