4 Sox players are on the trading block

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
Why we're not also shopping Thornton, Crain or both is beyond me.

With the emergence of Veal...you just can't have Matt being paid like a quasi-closer and still afford guys like Youkilis, Peavy and AJ at the same time on the roster.

That's why I never pay attention to any media when it comes to players on the trading block. They all are if there is a deal to good to pass up.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
Who is going to fill Hafner's platoon role during the 3 months of the season he will be injured?

If he gets hurt you call up your Dan Johnson in AAA, trade for someone else's Dan Johnson in AAA, maybe pick up a Reed Johnson. Etc. Really, you lose what? Complimentary platoon players are a dime a dozen if you need them.

By contrast, what happens if 2011 Adam Dunn shows up again? Nothing, you just eat $30M.

I hope to God that the Sox are looking at every possible way to dump Dunn's money, and if they can find a taker, they had better do it.

Rios too. I love the man's talent and always have, but please get him out of here before he suffers another 6 month long brain cramp.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
That's why I never pay attention to any media when it comes to players on the trading block. They all are if there is a deal to good to pass up.

Yeah it should pretty much be assumed that middle relievers & setup men in their mid-to-late 30's making in excess of $4M per in the last seasons of their contracts are always available. They're out there.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
I'm not buying this "info", why in the world would De Aza be one of the four players on the entire team team that is on the trading block?

They're trading him and Tank to make room for Jacoby Ellsbury and Hamilton.

:)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
Listen, when I get halfway good info I PM it out to a few people. My post was pretty rock solid. Our pitching is for sale, not many of our young position players unless its an awesome deal.

I would give dayan up if justin upton was involved. Maybe start with dayan and floyd.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 01:55 AM)
Dan Hayes is reporting that Beckham, DeAza, Floyd and Viciedo might be traded this off season.

Beckham, Viciedo to TOR for Edwin Encarnacion, Rajai Davis

Floyd to WAS for Danny Espinosa, Sandy Leon

Aza I believe is smokescreen for Rios, but then again the whole report could've been.

CF De Aza

LF Davis

DH Dunn

1B Konerko

RF Rios

C Pierzynski - resigns

3B Encarnacion

SS Ramirez

2B Espinosa

Leon starts in AAA, maybe makes Pierzynski available for trade.

i wonder if their is a sleeper in this deal.. Alexi Rameriez? a possible package of Rameriez and floyd both to some one team or 3 way deal. I know we dont have a backup for Rameriez at short, but possibly get one back in a deal, i don't know if they would do it.. but im just saying it would not shock me with Alexi. A good amount of money of the payroll to fill it with a 3rd b,ss,maybe a reliever and trade Thornton also being a trade chip. The sox have lots of options and trade chips i think where lot of teams need pitching or a bullpen arm. Sox have a guy like Thornton or Crain they could possibly move and Floyd in the rotation with whispers of santiago or Q possibly trade chips too. Then hearing other guys like de aza beckham and viciedo. Strange to see those included with all of them not tallying lot of money they are getting paid. With many routes the sox could go, could be real interesting offseason in next couple weeks or in december.

Also, their is no rush to trade rios under contract if he continues produce this upcoming year could possibly deal at deadline whether in the race or out of it, i understand his value at a all time high being with the sox, but i feel he can continue being solid this upcoming year more teams might bite being in contention and a little less off his salary. I feel Dunn will be here and Konerko is staying put as well. 3b is the wild card.. through a trade, bringing youk back,free agent.. or maybe carlos sanchez

Edited by onedog#1

Gonzo was on with Kaplan and said he could see Beckham moved since his salary will be going up a couple of million. He can't see the Sox trading De Aza because they have been searching for a lead off hitter for years, and finally have one, and really doubts Viciedo is going anywhere due to talent and cost. Floyd he thinks will go if the deal is right.

Shin-soo Choo is a guy I could definitely see the sox trying to get via a 3-way: good OBP; solid Lefty bat who could hit for avg. and power; coming off 2 sub-par years [though 2012 was decent, but his fielding UZR was way down-did battle a hamstring injury at beginning of year].

With him only a year away from Free agency, he wouldn't cost the world in terms of talent.

I did see that the Red Sox seemed interested in him and Masterson. Could the sox sell high on Rios with the Red sox taking him and get Choo...? For as much as Rios did last year, it's still a big risk and salary for the next two years.

According to CSNChicago.com White Sox Insider Dan Hayes, Viciedo is one of several White Sox youngsters who may be available. As evidence, Hayes cited “four rival executives” who believe that Hahn is “open” to trading the young left fielder.

Make no mistake about it; Viciedo’s days in a White Sox uniform could be numbered because of his contract status.

Hayes pointed out in his article that “Viciedo’s contract stipulates he must earn 80 percent of the $3.5 million he pulled in last season, which equates to $2.8 million.”

Factor in the $1 million pro-rated share of his $4 million signing bonus and Viciedo stands to get, at minimum, a $300,000 raise in 2013. At $3.8 million, he may be a bit out of Hahn’s price range.

Now, if Viciedo’s price tag does necessitate a move, what is Hahn’s best option? A three-team trade, of course, and Hahn is already thinking the same thing.

Hahn was quoted in the Chicago Tribune on Thursday saying that the conversations he’s had at the general managers meetings in California “may lead to some three-way deals in the coming weeks."

One potential trade scenario would involve the Houston Astros and the San Diego Padres.

-The Padres receive Asher Wojciechowski (2-2 with a 2.06 ERA in eight starts at Double-A Corpus Christi) from the Astros and Gavin Floyd from the White Sox

-The Astros acquire Viciedo and Double-A pitcher Nestor Molina from the White Sox

-The White Sox get third baseman Chase Headley and a prospect (anyone will do) from the Padres.

As important as the players involved are, a three-team trade does something that may be even more so.

See, by combining Floyd’s $9.5 million salary with Viciedo’s, Hahn would shave a potential total of $13.3 million from the White Sox' payroll. Hahn could then use that money to lock up Alejandro De Aza into a long-term contract and sign Headley to an extension with money to spare.

Outside-the-box thinking, to be sure, but this is an example of what adding Viciedo in a trade could do.

In all fairness, this column is not advocating for a trade. In fact, an argument can be made that Viciedo is someone to build the future around. He is young, talented and full of potential.

If Viciedo’s worth is put into this context, however, trading him could be a great idea.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
According to CSNChicago.com White Sox Insider Dan Hayes, Viciedo is one of several White Sox youngsters who may be available. As evidence, Hayes cited “four rival executives” who believe that Hahn is “open” to trading the young left fielder.

Make no mistake about it; Viciedo’s days in a White Sox uniform could be numbered because of his contract status.

Hayes pointed out in his article that “Viciedo’s contract stipulates he must earn 80 percent of the $3.5 million he pulled in last season, which equates to $2.8 million.”

Factor in the $1 million pro-rated share of his $4 million signing bonus and Viciedo stands to get, at minimum, a $300,000 raise in 2013. At $3.8 million, he may be a bit out of Hahn’s price range.

Now, if Viciedo’s price tag does necessitate a move, what is Hahn’s best option? A three-team trade, of course, and Hahn is already thinking the same thing.

Hahn was quoted in the Chicago Tribune on Thursday saying that the conversations he’s had at the general managers meetings in California “may lead to some three-way deals in the coming weeks."

One potential trade scenario would involve the Houston Astros and the San Diego Padres.

-The Padres receive Asher Wojciechowski (2-2 with a 2.06 ERA in eight starts at Double-A Corpus Christi) from the Astros and Gavin Floyd from the White Sox

-The Astros acquire Viciedo and Double-A pitcher Nestor Molina from the White Sox

-The White Sox get third baseman Chase Headley and a prospect (anyone will do) from the Padres.

As important as the players involved are, a three-team trade does something that may be even more so.

See, by combining Floyd’s $9.5 million salary with Viciedo’s, Hahn would shave a potential total of $13.3 million from the White Sox' payroll. Hahn could then use that money to lock up Alejandro De Aza into a long-term contract and sign Headley to an extension with money to spare.

Outside-the-box thinking, to be sure, but this is an example of what adding Viciedo in a trade could do.

In all fairness, this column is not advocating for a trade. In fact, an argument can be made that Viciedo is someone to build the future around. He is young, talented and full of potential.

If Viciedo’s worth is put into this context, however, trading him could be a great idea.

I'd much rather trade Rios than Viciedo. Dayan showed solid LF skills and he won't be that expensive.

Why in God's name would we want to lock ourselves into a long-term deal with DeAza when it's not even necessary?

It's like the Teahen contract that KW meted out.

You go year to year with him, 100%.

Same with Beckham, Viciedo, etc.

Especially considering that Alejandro's coming off an injury-plagued 2nd half where he got pushed off the position (CF) where he has the most value...?