Where is Phegley?

Buehrle>Wood

Our catching situation is bad right now (even worse than I was saying it would be this past off season). Meanwhile, Phegley is tearing up AAA. In the very least, he can't be any worse than Flowers...right? I dont think that is possible.

Are we really thst concerned about the service time of Josh Phegley? This at the potential cost of victories at the major league level?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 27, 2013 -> 09:37 PM)
Have there been any reports about exactly what Cooper was screaming at Flowers about tonight?

prolly about how much he sucks at baseball

Before someone spouts off about the possible disruption of the handling of the pitching staff, it should be known that the Sox are on pace to score less than 600 runs this year. Worrying about possible adverse affects to the pitching staff is the equivalent of yelling, "Fire, fire!" in Noah's flood.

Phegley has a lot more to prove in AAA. Look at his career statistics. He's had a lot to overcome and has been aggressively promoted, but that doesn't mean he doesn't need more seasoning. Give him at least another month before bringing him up.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ May 27, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
Phegley has a lot more to prove in AAA. Look at his career statistics. He's had a lot to overcome and has been aggressively promoted, but that doesn't mean he doesn't need more seasoning. Give him at least another month before bringing him up.

He really does need to prove he can put 3 consecutive solid months together.

It's the Jared Mitchell syndrome.

He can be hot for 6-8 weeks, but can he extend the momentum?

It will be pretty obvious after we play so many bad teams in the next 26 games....if he can't excel in any of these contests, it's not going to happen against the Tigers, Indians, etc.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 27, 2013 -> 10:01 PM)

This. Dude doesn't have much of a track record. Let's see if he can continue to hit. He's not going to be wowing anyone defensively (not that Flowers is). Be patient. Phegley could be a nice surprise, but he's not the White Sox savior this year. They are going to give Flowers some more time in a down year, as they should.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 28, 2013 -> 04:06 AM)
This. Dude doesn't have much of a track record. Let's see if he can continue to hit. He's not going to be wowing anyone defensively (not that Flowers is). Be patient. Phegley could be a nice surprise, but he's not the White Sox savior this year. They are going to give Flowers some more time in a down year, as they should.

Yep, make Flowers earn his spot on the roster for next year. I feel like we go over this every week, but the Sox made the decision in the offseason to give Flowers the starting spot while not investing in a quality back-up. It was a risky decision given his track record of mediocre batting average, but no one thought his defense would be this bad.

I understand the suggestions on giving Phegley more seasoning.

I realize he won't come to the big leagues and excel immediately.

But Tyler Flowers is not a big-league starting catcher.

His strikeout totals have been a constant throughout his career

And he's looked awful this year blocking balls in the dirt.

He can't do the job -- not as the guys getting the majority of the starts.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 27, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)

When was the decision made to mail in the season with, as of now, the 3rd best pitching in the AL? We're also only one game under .500.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 27, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
This organization has a history of waiting too long to fix fixable problems. In that light, Phegley still being at Charlotte is no surprise.

They also have shown a lot of patience with pitchers, guys like Danks and Gavin Floyd...Contreras...Jenks...Santos...Humber...Quintana...Santiago, etc.

"Fixable" depends on the definition. What's eminently "fixable" to you might not be to others.

Some might think that promoting Phegley will automatically bring with it better results. There is ton of inside information we aren't privy to in terms of the personnel decisions going on behind the scenes. Surely, it's an everyday conversation between the AAA coaching staff and the Chicago brain-trust about Phegley vs. Flowers. There are specific things that are being looked at, measured, analyzed.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2013 -> 04:28 AM)
Some might think that promoting Phegley will automatically bring with it better results. There is ton of inside information we aren't privy to in terms of the personnel decisions going on behind the scenes. Surely, it's an everyday conversation between the AAA coaching staff and the Chicago brain-trust about Phegley vs. Flowers. There are specific things that are being looked at, measured, analyzed.

You're making it too complicated. This was the year they wanted to see if Flowers could be a full-time starter. They're not going to give up on giving him a shot after 2 months.

At what point in Flowers' Minor League career did he ever have a productive stretch like the one Phegley has had for the first 25% of the season?

Flowers had one great Arizona Fall League Season, and that was what convinced K.W. to go after him. Beyond that, he never has demonstrated the kind of offense Josh is showing.

Defensively, Phegley has a good arm and can block balls in the dirt. You don't hear much about his pitch calling, but that could be done from the bench.

We all know that Phegley had health issues that account for his previous struggles. He was a very highly rated offensive player when drafted.

I think he's making it simple like it should be:

Everyone in the organization that needs to be on the case is on the case. Everyone.

So I assume there is this area of struggle in the minds of the FO being that so many years and efforts have been invested in the development of TF. Nobody thought he was going to be THIS bad or show such an inability to progress even slightly. And now with wonder boy coming outa nowhere in AAA the temptation to completely can TF has presented itself. It seems like a sucky place to be if you're in the FO.

Anyone can look up Phegley's stats. Can he block balls in the dirt? Can he make more contact than TF?

Does a cup of piss taste any better than a cup of s*** when you're starving?

I think everyone just wants to see a fresh face instead of what we have been seeing. Something different when things aren't working is what people want. It could be a good thing or maybe not. Maybe it will wake Flowers up and put some fire behind him.

I wish they would just tell Flowers, "Hey we are giving you two more weeks, if you can't prove yourself, we are going to go a different route"

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2013 -> 10:36 PM)
You're making it too complicated. This was the year they wanted to see if Flowers could be a full-time starter. They're not going to give up on giving him a shot after 2 months.

They may also be unsure if they have even seen a healthy version of Tyler yet.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 27, 2013 -> 10:58 PM)
I think he's making it simple like it should be:

Everyone in the organization that needs to be on the case is on the case. Everyone.

So I assume there is this area of struggle in the minds of the FO being that so many years and efforts have been invested in the development of TF. Nobody thought he was going to be THIS bad or show such an inability to progress even slightly. And now with wonder boy coming outa nowhere in AAA the temptation to completely can TF has presented itself. It seems like a sucky place to be if you're in the FO.

Anyone can look up Phegley's stats. Can he block balls in the dirt? Can he make more contact than TF?

Does a cup of piss taste any better than a cup of s*** when you're starving?

I've never tasted s***, but I've accidentally drank urine while intoxicated. I'll just go ahead and assume piss tastes better.

I'm all for Flowers hitting the pine. The offense can't afford his on the job training since we are in win now mode. Gimenez should get a shot 1st. Another LH bat can't hurt. I was pretty disappointed to see Flowers in there tonight against the right handed Smardzija and he's a switch-hitter. Gimenez can get a month until Phegley hit's the point of his service time being OK .

Service time would be a pretty surprising reason for holding Phegley back, since he wasn't close to being considered the catcher of the future until these first 2 months of 2013...

I don't think anyone in the organization was projecting him as a potential starting catcher at the major league level based on his health and what we'd seen so far.

That said, Flowers seems to be really struggling with the daily grind, and that's hard to understand at his age and with an entire off-season to prepare for the starting role, knowing AJ wasn't coming back.

It's also disappointing he's been suffering some aches and pains...like back spasms in the last week...without really playing at anywhere near the level of innings/pitches caught AJ averaged in his sleep even in his mid 30's.