71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Victor Martinez

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
This is doubly awesome. White Sox evade another albatross deal and more bad money for the Tigers ensuring their window not only shuts, but slams shut.

It's a good move for the Tigers, as their window is only the next 1-2 years anyways.

The $17.5M per season isn't that bad. The years is what makes it bad. I am kind of surprised he didn't end up getting more. I'm sure it came down to him deciding between a 3yr 60 and the 4yr 75 or something like that. That deal in year 4 will likely be pretty bad, might even be in year 3, would expect him to be able to still be pretty productive in years 1 and 2. Who knows though.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
Money is no object to them. Never ending

Assuming they pick up their options on Avila & offer arbitration to guys like Price and Porcello, this deal puts them currently at $150 million committed for this season. And that's with Scherzer as a free agent.

Subtract Scherzer from their roster last year, replace him with 1/2 extra year of Price, and have VMart return to his normal career power production, and that team probably misses the playoffs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
Assuming they pick up their options on Avila & offer arbitration to guys like Price and Porcello, this deal puts them currently at $150 million committed for this season. And that's with Scherzer as a free agent.

Subtract Scherzer from their roster last year, replace him with 1/2 extra year of Price, and have VMart return to his normal career power production, and that team probably misses the playoffs.

The good news is, 2 years from now, Tigers are likely going to find themselves in between a rock and a hard place and by that point we better darn well be contending with an upward ascent. I still think we can contend this year (not saying be the favorite but contend) and then a year from now emerge as a bigger contender and hopefully near favorite. We can't just sit idly and waste cost controlled front-line stars. We just can't do it. You don't know when the well will run dry. I also don't blame the Tigers for what they are doing. They have all of this money invested and have some long-term hits, but if they don't do it now, then they almost wasted most of what they already have on their books...they kind of have to stay IN vs. exit and just hope to really enjoy this ride.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
The $17.5M per season isn't that bad. The years is what makes it bad. I am kind of surprised he didn't end up getting more. I'm sure it came down to him deciding between a 3yr 60 and the 4yr 75 or something like that. That deal in year 4 will likely be pretty bad, might even be in year 3, would expect him to be able to still be pretty productive in years 1 and 2. Who knows though.

I agree with all of this.