Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
Would you guys trade Shark, Putnam, and Duke for Judge and Sanchez? I would.

Of course. Who the heck would want Putnam or Duke though? Why not add Beckham, Boni and Soto to the package? These are all nobodies in the baseball world.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
Why would a team trying to contend trade away one of their starters? Same thing with the Jays and Travis, I am not sure any GM out there is willing to make his lineup worse to get a SP its just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

If I am dealing with the Twins I want a SS (Polanco or Gordon) and Adam Brett Walker.

Because Sano is the future at the position

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
Why would a team trying to contend trade away one of their starters? Same thing with the Jays and Travis, I am not sure any GM out there is willing to make his lineup worse to get a SP its just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

If I am dealing with the Twins I want a SS (Polanco or Gordon) and Adam Brett Walker.

Billy Beane did it when he gave up Cepedes to get Lester.

Last year Boston got Baltimore's #3 prospect for Andrew Miller who was also a 2 month rental but a top lefthanded relief pitcher. The year before the White Sox got Avi and 3 B or less prospects for Peavy who had a year and 2 months. So I would say Shark would bring some team's 3-5th rated prospect + another 15-20th prospect.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)

Because pitching is more important than hitting, especially in the playoffs.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 10:44 PM)
Because pitching is more important than hitting, especially in the playoffs.

and that is where the vicious circle comes in. the org first needs to get the players to get to the playoff.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 05:24 PM)
Last year Boston got Baltimore's #3 prospect for Andrew Miller who was also a 2 month rental but a top lefthanded relief pitcher. The year before the White Sox got Avi and 3 B or less prospects for Peavy who had a year and 2 months. So I would say Shark would bring some team's 3-5th rated prospect + another 15-20th prospect.

That's a good value for Samardzija. CBS Sports baseball guru Jon Heyman has suggested Jeff Hoffman or Max Pentecost (#3 and #4, respectively, on the MLB.com Blue Jays top prospect list) as the centerpiece for a Chicago-Toronto trade.

Hoffman has 9 starts at high-A Dunedin this season since coming off Tommy John surgery. Here's his stat line.

Pentecost had his shoulder cleaned out last fall by Dr. James Andrews (his second shoulder surgery). He hasn't played since. His bat showed promise in his first season of pro ball: the stat line for Pentecost.

Edited by BigFinn

I've been flipping through the mlb pipeline website for prospects among the contending teams in the #3 to #5 range, and boy is it slim pickings.

The Yankees top 5 prospects:

#1 Luis Severino, an undersized 2-pitch pitcher

#2 Aaron Judge, a 6'7" RF who has a lot of power with a lot of swing and miss

#3 Jorge Mateo, a 20 year old shortstop in the Sally League who may have to move off short because of a weak arm

#4 Greg Bird, a defensively challenged first baseman

#5 Robert Refsnyder, a defensively challenged second baseman

How about Houston:

#1 Carlos Correa, SS, he's not going anywhere

#2 Mark Appel, RHP, he's not going anywhere

#3 Domingo Santana, he's a .300 hitting outfielder with some swing and miss problems

#4 Vincent Velazquez, RHP, he's not going anywhere

#5 Michael Feliz, RHP, I doubt that he's going anywhere

The Dodgers (say it like Vin Scully):

#1 Corey Seager, SS, will not be traded in a Samardzija deal

#2 Julio Urias, LHP, probably will not be traded in a Samardzija deal

#3 Grant Holmes, RHP, pitching in the Midwest League

#4 Jose DeLeon, RHP, pitching at AA Tulsa, intriguing, fastball-slider-change. He's been a wee bit tateriffic since his promotion

#5 Alex Verdugo, OF, playing in the Midwest League

Three contenders, one intriguing prospect. That's not to say that Corey Seager isn't intriguing, but he won't be coming over in a trade for Samardzija.

Toronto is looking like a good trading partner for the Shark.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 11:10 PM)
I've been flipping through the mlb pipeline website for prospects among the contending teams in the #3 to #5 range, and boy is it slim pickings.

#3 Jorge Mateo, a 20 year old shortstop in the Sally League who may have to move off short because of a weak arm

How about Houston:

#3 Domingo Santana, he's a .300 hitting outfielder with some swing and miss problems

#4 Jose DeLeon, RHP, pitching at AA Tulsa, intriguing, fastball-slider-change. He's been a wee bit tateriffic since his promotion

Three contenders, one intriguing prospect. That's not to say that Corey Seager isn't intriguing, but he won't be coming over in a trade for Samardzija.

To be fair, Houston's system is deep so if you even grabbed someone in 6-10 range it would probably be a good deal.

Posted this in another thread, but once Shark and maybe a few bench pieces are moved, I think both Johnsons will be up.

my predictions:

Shark traded for prospect(s); E. Johnson comes up

Beckham, Soto, Bonifacio traded for PTBNL or cash (this month or next through waivers); replaced by Micah who takes over at second (or Sanchez sent down in favor of more versatile L. Garcia), Kottaras who comes up to be backup C, and Davidson to platoon or get a good long look at at third.

Possible but unlikely:

LaRoche to Cards or Angels for prospect(s); Gillaspie, Garcia, Melky, Abreu then get at bats between (DH/1B/OF) with Thompson coming up to play left/right.

I don't consider this "dismantling" the team like Hahn and KW said they wouldn't do.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 04:08 AM)
Do you two really believe the Blue Jays' FO is fickle enough to become more interested in Shark because of one start against their own team?

Yes. Realism.

esp to give up #1 or #2 top ranked prospects..... for those who thinks so. get real.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 05:10 AM)

How about Houston:

great post and har work. many thanks.

that is why i am saying, lets get several prospects out side the #5, for a visual ref, and get 1 more player, and fill the holes of the org.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
Posted this in another thread, but once Shark and maybe a few bench pieces are moved, I think both Johnsons will be up.

my predictions:

Shark traded for prospect(s); E. Johnson comes up

Beckham, Soto, Bonifacio traded for PTBNL or cash (this month or next through waivers); replaced by Micah who takes over at second (or Sanchez sent down in favor of more versatile L. Garcia), Kottaras who comes up to be backup C, and Davidson to platoon or get a good long look at at third.

Possible but unlikely:

LaRoche to Cards or Angels for prospect(s); Gillaspie, Garcia, Melky, Abreu then get at bats between (DH/1B/OF) with Thompson coming up to play left/right.

I don't consider this "dismantling" the team like Hahn and KW said they wouldn't do.

i like the idea of trading superfluous players, but i would ask for int't money and slot or comp picks and slot money.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
That's a good value for Samardzija. CBS Sports baseball guru Jon Heyman has suggested Jeff Hoffman or Max Pentecost (#3 and #4, respectively, on the MLB.com Blue Jays top prospect list) as the centerpiece for a Chicago-Toronto trade.

Hoffman has 9 starts at high-A Dunedin this season since coming off Tommy John surgery. Here's his stat line.

Pentecost had his shoulder cleaned out last fall by Dr. James Andrews (his second shoulder surgery). He hasn't played since. His bat showed promise in his first season of pro ball: the stat line for Pentecost.

A catcher with two shoulder surgeries? Ugh. I hadn't read that one. Count me out.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 07:41 AM)
To be fair, Houston's system is deep so if you even grabbed someone in 6-10 range it would probably be a good deal.

Just to reinforce your point. Brett Phillips OF 21 years old is currently #6 in Houston's system batting .320 for AA and should be at AAA. Another is AJ Reed 1B 22 years old and #11 in Houston's system batting .333 for A+ and really should be at AA and has big power potential (22 HR this season).

Would love to grab both but I have no idea what it would take to get them. Samardzija plus a reliever?

I still stand by Toronto not being a good matchup in a trade with the Sox.

Hoffman for Samardzija makes a lot of sense for both sides. Hoffman isn't a can't miss prospect, but the Sox loved him in the draft and he still has the potential to be a #4-#5 starter in a year or so and could eventually reach his #2 starter potential again. His numbers are starting to improve, as he has 14 K's in his last 15.2 IP with 4 BB's and only 3 ER.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
Because Sano is the future at the position

I doubt Sano ever plays more than a 50 games a season at 3B. He'll be such a liability over there. He's a 1B or DH - which is problematic for the Twins because they already have Mauer, Vargas and Arcia who are also 1B/DH types.

Hoffman would be great but I hate not trying to get help on offense. Some of the proposals here are a bit crazy though. Jeff brought Russell a year ago when he had another year on his contract, was pitching better, and in a package that included Hammel too, and it was widely considered an overpay. Now for a two-month rental he's going to bring in a top 20 prospect (Judge)? Not a chance unless teams get very desperate and Cincy wants the world for Cueto. Also have to hope Detroit doesn't fall out of it in the next few weeks and puts Price on the market.

Edited by OmarComing25