Yasiel Puig

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:40 AM)
No this is speculation. There are no rumors. In fact, it's been extremely quiet so far. Doesn't anyone else agree?

Deadline is not too far away and there have not been many whispers.

We've went on for 65 pages in the Shark thread and we haven't really seen one rumor about a possible deal or significant interest from another team, have we? Kind of frustrating.

yeah that is unnerving.... i would have expected to see at least 1 major move.

if these teams really needed a sp, i would have imagine a team to make that move now....

oh well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
Sigh.

You said you'd never heard a thing about him in Boston.

There has been speculation around baseball and the blogosphere that the Red Sox might seek to package Cespedes to Miami in order to reel in Giancarlo Stanton, but up until now that appeared to be the extent of their intentions. That is not the case, according to Madden. Citing an unnamed source inside the Red Sox organization, it appears the Red Sox have soured on the Cuban left-fielder, going so far as to express “hate” for him. While that word may be a little strong, there is no doubt that some discord exists.

“He marches to his own drum and the coaches all hate him.”

http://calltothepen.com/2014/10/28/yoenis-...d-hated-boston/

The rest of the article questions how he went from a glue/chemistry guy in Oakland to a clubhouse cancer in two months, but there was way too much smoke coming out of Boston for all of it to have been completely invented or fabricated.

You're telling me that planting stories about him in the media was done solely to placate Red Sox fans for not signing him...when they ended up signing Ramirez for the same position and Sandoval, two more huge question marks they now also would love to dump on other teams?

If they loved him so much, why would they spend significantly more for an older player who can't even play LF adequately?

No, thats not what I said at all. But keep on drawing your own conclusions from tiny snippets in fan blogs and passing them as fact

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
Don't feel like wading through this thread in it's entirety.

Is there any actual rumors regarding the White Sox and Puig? Or is this a 14 page thread with posters just making random trade proposals?

IIRC, it all started with Matt Spiegel's trade suggestion on Twitter last week.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
Really true. So far a very boring deadline trading season. It obviously will pick up, but nothing but very generic rumors out there now.

I'm getting the impression this one will be an avalanche. Once the first move breaks, teams will suddenly go for whatever they've been pondering.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
Really true. So far a very boring deadline trading season. It obviously will pick up, but nothing but very generic rumors out there now.

There are multiple AL teams that are teetering between buyer and seller, so they will have to decide in the next week, that could start the trade machine moving.

The NL is all but set, you got 7 teams for 5 spots.

The original post mentioned that perhaps Abreu and Puig don't get along. Others that he is not a great teammate and was not receptive to coaching/working on defense. If he doesn't have a strong work ethic, I could see that clash with Abreu. Am I the only one who wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole without getting positive answers to those questions?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
The original post mentioned that perhaps Abreu and Puig don't get along. Others that he is not a great teammate and was not receptive to coaching/working on defense. If he doesn't have a strong work ethic, I could see that clash with Abreu. Am I the only one who wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole without getting positive answers to those questions?

With where the White Sox are...I'm kinda open to taking a bigger gamble on an "attitude problem" from a young guy. If it gets us a real talent...it makes me think a lot more than I would otherwise. That said, the "the Dodgers want to move him because of attitude problems" is a major thing that should lower the asking price.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
I would trade Shark, Montas and Avisail for Puig. I don't think they want Avi but I'd do it. I don't really care, get me Puig.

I don't see the Dodgers wanting Avi or Montas, that just feels like filler on the Sox end to make up some value. The Sale for Puig/Pederson, Urias and Seager deal (give or take a Barnes or Olivia here or there) is still the most intriguing (though unrealistic) one, IMO. What about Quintana? Think the Dodgers would do Quintana plus for Puig/Pederson and Seager in any way, shape or form?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
I don't see the Dodgers wanting Avi or Montas, that just feels like filler on the Sox end to make up some value. The Sale for Puig/Pederson, Urias and Seager deal (give or take a Barnes or Olivia here or there) is still the most intriguing (though unrealistic) one, IMO. What about Quintana? Think the Dodgers would do Quintana plus for Puig/Pederson and Seager in any way, shape or form?

Q may be able to fetch one of Pederson or Seager but not both. Puig has less value so maybe Puig and Barnes but not Puig and Pederson/Seager.

And of course the Dodgers would be interested in Montas. A top 100 talent with a huge arm and a chance to start with a floor as a late inning reliever. I think all teams would be interested. They have a slew of OF. Doubt Avi would be of much interest to LA.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 07:16 AM)

I doubt it. I think if we dealt Q and Shark (they actually need 2 starters according to most reports) for Puig / Seager / Barnes, that would probably be the only package where you could get Puig & Seager without giving up Sale. And even then I don't know.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
I doubt it. I think if we dealt Q and Shark (they actually need 2 starters according to most reports) for Puig / Seager / Barnes, that would probably be the only package where you could get Puig & Seager without giving up Sale. And even then I don't know.

I think LA would be tempted to make a deal for BOTH Shark and Q. From what I read, the Dodgers are looking for younger cost controlled pitchers and Q pretty much exemplifies that. Many believe Seager is untouchable, however if the Dodgers can get both Q and Shark- you just never know...

If this scenario happened, they'd need to sign Shark in the offseason. Rodon can't be your #2 next year and Puig + Seager sets them up to try and make a run hopefully. You'd also have to hope that EJ is finally ready and that Fulmer would be ready quickly.

But I would do Q and Shark for Puig/Seager/Barnes. That's just about the only scenario where I'd be cool with giving up Q.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
If this scenario happened, they'd need to sign Shark in the offseason. Rodon can't be your #2 next year and Puig + Seager sets them up to try and make a run hopefully. You'd also have to hope that EJ is finally ready and that Fulmer would be ready quickly.

But I would do Q and Shark for Puig/Seager/Barnes. That's just about the only scenario where I'd be cool with giving up Q.

Or Buehrle or trade for Shields.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)

I'd also like to get a shot at Guerrero, but I'd caveat it by saying he'd have to agree to a revised contract so that we could have control of him for a couple of years.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
I think LA would be tempted to make a deal for BOTH Shark and Q. From what I read, the Dodgers are looking for younger cost controlled pitchers and Q pretty much exemplifies that. Many believe Seager is untouchable, however if the Dodgers can get both Q and Shark- you just never know...

I would consider that. But if you trade both Quintana and Samardzija, man, you are decimating this starting rotation. Bright side, I guess, would be that there is a crap ton of starting pitching FAs available this coming offseason.

Edited by Buehrlesque

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Maybe from their you see if you can flip Robertson or Putnam to the Blue Jays, who are looking for relief help. I'd like to get Hoffman, but don't think you get Hoffman for either of them.

Doubt either would net Hoffman. Hell, I don't think a combo package of Petricka and Putnam would net Hoffman unless the Blue Jays pulled Kenny Williams.

You're relying on signing Shark in the offseason and hope two of EJ, Fulmer, Montas and Danish can be ready to perform.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
I would consider that. But if you trade both Quintana and Samardzija, man, you are decimating this starting rotation. Bright side, I guess, would be that there is a crap ton of starting pitching FAs available this coming offseason.
It would, but I trust this organization to develop pitching way more than hitting, so I think this is the kind of move you need to make, unless you want to wait around hoping we figure out how to develop hitters, or take more chances on the free agent market.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)

If you are trading both, you would need to get a SP back in return that could step into the rotation in the next year. You can finish out the year with Johnson and a combination of Beck/Drabek/Noesi/Carroll and test out to see if you have piece that can stick and determine whether or not you need to go into FA to grab a SP.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Doubt either would net Hoffman. Hell, I don't think a combo package of Petricka and Putnam would net Hoffman unless the Blue Jays pulled Kenny Williams.

You're relying on signing Shark in the offseason and hope two of EJ, Fulmer, Montas and Danish can be ready to perform.

Oohhh...Robertson + Samardzija for Hoffman I really like...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
Oohhh...Robertson + Samardzija for Hoffman I really like...

If we could get Max, I would be on board with that. That would all be dependent on Robertson being okay with that. I would not want to taint my reputation in the league (in terms of signing FA).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
If we could get Max, I would be on board with that. That would all be dependent on Robertson being okay with that. I would not want to taint my reputation in the league (in terms of signing FA).

Co-signed. I also think Samardzija + Petricka/Putnam could get that same result.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
Larry King ‏@kingsthings 1h1 hour ago

Don't be surprised if the @dodgers and @whitesox make a trade before the deadline, July 31st.

This is very, very interesting.