Starlin Castro and Jorge Soler not in line up for Cubs

southsider2k5

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
I just don't understand why anyone would want Castro at this point. He's not coming particularly cheap, he's never been a good defender, and his OPS over the last three years is .665.

I don't know why either, but everytime I ask a cubs fan I basically just hear "YOU CAN FIND X, YOU CANT FIND AN OFFENSIVE SHORTSTOP" even though it doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
Supposedly Maddon told Castro he won't be traded

"Son you have been soooo bad I can honestly say there is no way in hell we are going to be able to trade you".

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
I don't know why either, but everytime I ask a cubs fan I basically just hear "YOU CAN FIND X, YOU CANT FIND AN OFFENSIVE SHORTSTOP" even though it doesn't make sense.

I'd probably take the gamble on claiming him on the waiver wire. But I'm not sure about that, there'd be some deep conversations with scouts first.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
"Son you have been soooo bad I can honestly say there is no way in hell we are going to be able to trade you".

Ha basically

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
...what?

Just being stupid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
I'd probably take the gamble on claiming him on the waiver wire. But I'm not sure about that, there'd be some deep conversations with scouts first.

The talent is there. The first guy I would talk to would be Jeff Samardjiza who played with the guy from 2010 to 2014 and see what is really going on in his head and heart.

If Castro is available for his contract then yea, make the move and figure it out later but I have to figure the Cubs are holding out for more than just a little salary relief. Castro currently has a lower wRC+ than Carlos Sanchez so it's not the Sox should expect much from him the rest of the year. Maybe they can get his head screwed on straight next year including maybe having Ramirez in a mentor role with Alexei playing 50 or so games at SS and Castro the rest as they figure out a bridge to the Anderson plan.

If it's just money and a C level prospect thrown in sure do it the White Sox could use more middle infield depth but Castro has upside, the "talent is there" as SS2k said but for whatever reason it's not coming out on the North Side.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
The talent is there. The first guy I would talk to would be Jeff Samardjiza who played with the guy from 2010 to 2014 and see what is really going on in his head and heart.

I can't see Samardjiza ever paying any attention to Starlin Castro other than to want to punch him in the face for no reason other than because.

Castro was pulled from the game last night and Maddon was going on the other day about being fresh for September.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)

It almost feels like he's the kid who is used to being an only child that suddenly finds all the attention going to a newborn, only in this case the newborn is an assload of prospects.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
I can't see Samardjiza ever paying any attention to Starlin Castro other than to want to punch him in the face for no reason other than because.

Castro was pulled from the game last night and Maddon was going on the other day about being fresh for September.

My point being that he would be able to offer some insight on what the guy was like as a person, and in the clubhouse. It would give a team an idea of whether there is a chance to fix him or if he is going to stand in his own way of being a star player in this league.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Castro has been through 3 or 4 managers, has had a couple of off field incidents. Maybe he grows up and becomes something. I wouldn't give up anything to find out.

Levine says teams want him to bulk up, become a power hitter and play 3B. I thought that would make for a good flier for the sox to take on then I realized how expensive he was.

Crap defense, not a good baserunner, doesn't walk, has only a little bit of pop. He's one of those guys who has very few methods of being successful: has to just hit for a really high average because the rest of his game doesn't add value. If he were a right fielder, he'd be Avi Garcia. He's not a right fielder, so he has more value, but it's the same thing.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Crap defense, not a good baserunner, doesn't walk, has only a little bit of pop. He's one of those guys who has very few methods of being successful: has to just hit for a really high average because the rest of his game doesn't add value. If he were a right fielder, he'd be Avi Garcia. He's not a right fielder, so he has more value, but it's the same thing.

Spot-on comparison, considering they're both tied for last in WAR across baseball this season.