Chris Tannehill/Score trying to make Harrelson look bad...?

caulfield12

I'll still listen to Laurence, that's about it.

I said the same thing on WSI. As polarizing as Hawk's statement is, the "writer" loses all credibility by trying to compare the teams position-by-position and makes several incorrect calls (Royals better at 1B and SS). Going position by position, the teams are nearly equal I not with a slight advantage to the Sox.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 07:15 AM)
I said the same thing on WSI. As polarizing as Hawk's statement is, the "writer" loses all credibility by trying to compare the teams position-by-position and makes several incorrect calls (Royals better at 1B and SS). Going position by position, the teams are nearly equal I not with a slight advantage to the Sox.

If that were actually the case, and most put Ned Yost in the bottom quartile or at least bottom half of MLB managers...then how do you explain a difference of 28 games back in the standings (White Sox -16, Royals +40) since roughly the 100 game mark last year?

Besides the White Sox and Royals head to head record, that is?

The Hawk rant was a slam to the coaching staff and team attitude. While it may not have been intentional it goes to the point that there is talent there and the failing of the team is baseball IQ and coaching.

I am not a Hawk fan and the cub broadcast is better but Len Kasper feels the need to push every advanced metric he can into the broadcast.

As a fan I do not need advanced metrics to know what is happening. WAR, fWAR and FIP, ERA+ etc do not mean anything to me.

I am a professional, understand numbers very well and love baseball. OBP, HR, WHIP and ERA are all I need to understand the game and who sucks and how much they suck. I can see with my eyes guys that cannot field, guys that can, and guys that will not hurt nor help you in the field. I dod not need zome rating and that bulls***.

I do not need Fangraphs and Baseball Prospectus.

What I need is a nice broadcast something between Len and Hawk, and the best stat of all TWTW.

The putrid baseball IQ of the White Sox is more of an issue with me than the Hawkeroo.

Go You White SOX!

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
The Hawk rant was a slam to the coaching staff and team attitude. While it may not have been intentional it goes to the point that there is talent there and the failing of the team is baseball IQ and coaching.

I am not a Hawk fan and the cub broadcast is better but Len Kasper feels the need to push every advanced metric he can into the broadcast.

As a fan I do not need advanced metrics to know what is happening. WAR, fWAR and FIP, ERA+ etc do not mean anything to me.

I am a professional, understand numbers very well and love baseball. OBP, HR, WHIP and ERA are all I need to understand the game and who sucks and how much they suck. I can see with my eyes guys that cannot field, guys that can, and guys that will not hurt nor help you in the field. I dod not need zome rating and that bulls***.

I do not need Fangraphs and Baseball Prospectus.

What I need is a nice broadcast something between Len and Hawk, and the best stat of all TWTW.

The putrid baseball IQ of the White Sox is more of an issue with me than the Hawkeroo.

Go You White SOX!

i have reread the article for the 3 or 4 times with the last time being done now.

i agree with you.

however what i see in this whole thread that while hawks way of being a homer does get on some posters nerves. has he been doing this for too long???

yes

i can't see who the sox will find to be a better announcer, it seems to be too watered down, but an announcer will not put this team on the national market b/c of the team performance.

now with ref to the article, anyone can see the intent of it in the first 1 paragraph and in the first sentence afterword. it was meant to give props to the score and the 2 announcers, while at the same time using the hawks comment as the lightning rod for the excuse.

i will bet every announcer will do the same thing at some time.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 05:36 AM)
I love listening to other teams broadcasts, be it MLB.tv or Sirius radio. Hawk is easily the worst TV guy I have heard in the last 10 years since I started with MLB.tv/Extra Innings.

I drove cross country a few years ago and had satellite radio and it was so refreshing to hear other teams radio broadcasts. No monotonous dull pbp guys. They actually talked about the game and described the action.

Our 2 pbp guys are brutal compared to most others.

Totally agree. I learn nothing about the game from him between his relentless focus on nostalgia and making outrageous homer statements like these. I enjoy the professionalism from other team's broadcasters and actual insights on how the game operates today rather than what happened in 1965. Not saying I don't appreciate it every now and again but it's just gotten so extreme. He's contributing to the dumbing down of the fanbase IMO.

Edited by Sockin

I've only been on Soxtalk since '05 but I'm pretty sure every year there has been at least one thread with the overarching theme, Hawk must go, and the love/hate him posts ensue. Interesting that he's so polarizing...and as a result, known to other fan bases. For instance, good luck naming some of the other PBP guys in markets you're unfamiliar with. They're just some generic vanilla-flavored spread on top of white bread. And that's good for some people, they like that. For me, sometimes I love Hawk and sometimes (like when he says s*** like that about the Royals vs. Sox) I can't stand him. And so it goes.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
I've only been on Soxtalk since '05 but I'm pretty sure every year there has been at least one thread with the overarching theme, Hawk must go, and the love/hate him posts ensue. Interesting that he's so polarizing...and as a result, known to other fan bases. For instance, good luck naming some of the other PBP guys in markets you're unfamiliar with. They're just some generic vanilla-flavored spread on top of white bread. And that's good for some people, they like that. For me, sometimes I love Hawk and sometimes (like when he says s*** like that about the Royals vs. Sox) I can't stand him. And so it goes.

Exactly. It's our job to love the man. He's a huge part of growing up a Sox fan for a huge majority of us. He doesn't hurt anything so what's the big deal?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
Exactly. It's our job to love the man. He's a huge part of growing up a Sox fan for a huge majority of us. He doesn't hurt anything so what's the big deal?

I don't see why it's our job to love him. He hurts because he makes some broadcasts unbearable to listen to. He was absolutely part of the White Sox experience for me growing up but the guy sucks(imo) at his job now a days and I'm tired of listening to him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
They have been extra pissy since they lost the White Sox broadcast. No big surprise as their entire schtick is this kind of broadcasting. I can't wait for the Sox to move so I can take them off of my dial.

I don't listen to WSCR as much as I did last year or the year before that. Goff/Spiegel show soundsl like a young girls sleep over. Lots of giggling!! Boers and Bernstein. Well what has to be said about Bernstein other than he should be fired for all the comments he makes and gets suspended for.

To me it seems like a lot of the second string on air guys are cubbie fans and they enjoy ripping the Sox. I'll be glad when the Sox leave the score and I don't have to turn on the station on at all!!

I realize I have different tastes than everyone else as I am one of the few supporters of Farmer/DJ, but enough with the love of other broadcasting booths, especially "professional" ones. They are all terrible. Kasper reading acronym stats for 3 hours? Terrible. Scully? Terrible. They are all just filling the void of providing some distracting noise to prevent us from our terrifying thoughts as we watch baseball. Your opinions are stupid.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 05:36 AM)
I love listening to other teams broadcasts, be it MLB.tv or Sirius radio. Hawk is easily the worst TV guy I have heard in the last 10 years since I started with MLB.tv/Extra Innings.

I drove cross country a few years ago and had satellite radio and it was so refreshing to hear other teams radio broadcasts. No monotonous dull pbp guys. They actually talked about the game and described the action.

But they are loyal and will only leave when it is their decision. Meanwhile the fans suffer!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
Bad compounds bad, in a way Hawk is a victim of the White Sox failure to consistently compete, if he were the long time announcer of the cardinals he may be fine but with the Sox it wares thin.

Agreed. When the Sox are winning, Hawk is fine. Great, no, but fine and entertaining sure. When they are losing, he toes the company line way too much and says even more ridiculous things then he does when they are winning (to try and justify the club's poor performance). He has been downright awful the past few years calling games for the crappy Sox teams.

I think back to 2005, I couldn't imagine anyone other then Hawk cheering for us. The Joooee Crede call(s), everything, was just awesome. His emotion was on par with that of the Sox fans and it was why Hawk can be damn good and entertaining. When we suck, he takes things to a total extreme that make you shake your head. While he has his moments of daganbit, when a team sucks as much as the Sox have sucked the past couple of years, Hawk as the voice of the fan would have gotten him fired (cursing, negative attitudes, etc...could you imagine Balta calling every game...no one would want to watch the insufferable Sox and how screwed they were). But Hawk, as the company voice, has to try and make excuses and thus he makes many absurd comments about how great new kids are going to be and how on paper this team would have beaten everybody, etc. As good as he is when the Sox are good, he is even worse when the Sox are bad.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
I realize I have different tastes than everyone else as I am one of the few supporters of Farmer/DJ, but enough with the love of other broadcasting booths, especially "professional" ones. They are all terrible. Kasper reading acronym stats for 3 hours? Terrible. Scully? Terrible. They are all just filling the void of providing some distracting noise to prevent us from our terrifying thoughts as we watch baseball. Your opinions are stupid.

I am with you. I like having some character and life in the booth. If I want information, I have the internet. I don't need those guys to give me that information. I need them to make the game interesting.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
Agreed. When the Sox are winning, Hawk is fine. Great, no, but fine and entertaining sure. When they are losing, he toes the company line way too much and says even more ridiculous things then he does when they are winning (to try and justify the club's poor performance). He has been downright awful the past few years calling games for the crappy Sox teams.

I think back to 2005, I couldn't imagine anyone other then Hawk cheering for us. The Joooee Crede call(s), everything, was just awesome. His emotion was on par with that of the Sox fans and it was why Hawk can be damn good and entertaining. When we suck, he takes things to a total extreme that make you shake your head. While he has his moments of daganbit, when a team sucks as much as the Sox have sucked the past couple of years, Hawk as the voice of the fan would have gotten him fired (cursing, negative attitudes, etc...could you imagine Balta calling every game...no one would want to watch the insufferable Sox and how screwed they were). But Hawk, as the company voice, has to try and make excuses and thus he makes many absurd comments about how great new kids are going to be and how on paper this team would have beaten everybody, etc. As good as he is when the Sox are good, he is even worse when the Sox are bad.

Listening to Hawk this year, he has been much more angry and vocal than in years past. He has had some moments where he took the team, players, and even coaches to task.

LMAO How can you say the great Vin Scully is terrible? He is the best ever and the guy every one wishes they could be half as good in their careers.

Scully is terrible now? Umm alright. Cubs booth far superior to Sox booth too.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)
Hawk has been doing TV for the Sox since I was a kid. He may be over-the-top sometimes, but he's OUR guy. He's not corporate and he's the voice of the fan. Harry Caray was much worse when he did Cubs games.

He's not the voice of the fans. He might be the voice of stupid fans.

I loved Hawk making this comparison of the Sox to the Royals, but because of the broader and more salient point he was trying to make. It doesn't really matter where he came down on which position player was better than which. That's a matter of opinion, and Hawk is entitled to his as is anyone else. I'm sure if we polled everyone at Soxtalk and had them compare the Sox to the Royals, a whole variety of different opinions would result.

Hawk's real point, which was quite good, IMO, was that the key to the Royals success is due primarily to how well they execute and do the little things, the fundamentals. In other words, in his view, the Sox on paper were a better team, talent wise, but in actuality, what separates the two teams is how far better the Royals are at running the bases, hitting the cutoff man, etc. And when you watch the two teams play, particularly when its head-to-head, you can easily tell he's "dad gum right"!

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
I loved Hawk making this comparison of the Sox to the Royals, but because of the broader and more salient point he was trying to make. It doesn't really matter where he came down on which position player was better than which. That's a matter of opinion, and Hawk is entitled to his as is anyone else. I'm sure if we polled everyone at Soxtalk and had them compare the Sox to the Royals, a whole variety of different opinions would result.

Hawk's real point, which was quite good, IMO, was that the key to the Royals success is due primarily to how well they execute and do the little things, the fundamentals. In other words, in his view, the Sox on paper were a better team, talent wise, but in actuality, what separates the two teams is how far better the Royals are at running the bases, hitting the cutoff man, etc. And when you watch the two teams play, particularly when its head-to-head, you can easily tell he's "dad gum right"!

That's not true though. The Royals are better than the Sox because they have better players than the Sox do.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
That's not true though. The Royals are better than the Sox because they have better players than the Sox do.

Fine, maybe they are. maybe they aren't. That's not as interesting, for me at least, as thinking about and appreciating their superior execution. At the end of the day that's really what accounts for their record.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:36 AM)

You must like stale, boring, pc broadcasts then because that is what I hear from almost every other broadcast team.

As for the radio guys, I don't disagree at all.