Could White Sox trade some pitching to fill other areas in offseason

Whisox05

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
I would trade Quintana for a quality bat.

I'm pushing for the non obvious choice with Anthony Rendon from the Nats. injury plagued down year. They've been playing him too much at 2nd base and he's a natural 3rd baseman. Doubt the Nats would trade him though you ever know.

Just turned 25 in June . 5th in MVP voting in 2014 . Not sure how good of a fielder he is at 3rd but if memory serves he's good there.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
No matter what, they need to be less lefty heavy. Four LHP starters is too much.

That said, the LHP to move should be Danks. Q's contract is too team friendly. I also think rodon should be back in the minors next year.

What? He's learning up here. He's had some really bad starts, and some completely dominating starts, kind a like Chris Sale. There is 0 reason that Rodon should be in the minors next season.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
No matter what, they need to be less lefty heavy. Four LHP starters is too much.

That said, the LHP to move should be Danks. Q's contract is too team friendly. I also think rodon should be back in the minors next year.

Of course Danks is the guy you want to move. Now which bad contract are you willing to take on to do it?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
What's so bad about having 4-5 lefty starters in a rotation?

There's a case to be made that one of the reasons why lefties are effective in MLB is that they're somewhat rare. You can get away with good but not great stuff from the left hand side in a way that you can't from the right hand side because hitters are so much more used to seeing right handers and lineups are constructed expecting that 60-70% of the pitchers they'll face will be righties. Adam LaRoche can get a job because the last 2 seasons he destroyed right handed pitching while struggling against lefties because there are more righties than lefties.

If you instead go into a 3-4 game series against a team with a lefty dominant rotation, suddenly the hitters get adapted to seeing the ball come from the left hand side and the novelty wears off, maybe suddenly they hit them better as the series goes along (could be especially important in playoffs?)

That said, maybe that would matter for John Danks...but otherwise, you go up against Rodon, Q, and Sale, and you tell me that there's some way to get used to that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
There's a case to be made that one of the reasons why lefties are effective in MLB is that they're somewhat rare. You can get away with good but not great stuff from the left hand side in a way that you can't from the right hand side because hitters are so much more used to seeing right handers and lineups are constructed expecting that 60-70% of the pitchers they'll face will be righties. Adam LaRoche can get a job because the last 2 seasons he destroyed right handed pitching while struggling against lefties because there are more righties than lefties.

If you instead go into a 3-4 game series against a team with a lefty dominant rotation, suddenly the hitters get adapted to seeing the ball come from the left hand side and the novelty wears off, maybe suddenly they hit them better as the series goes along (could be especially important in playoffs?)

That said, maybe that would matter for John Danks...but otherwise, you go up against Rodon, Q, and Sale, and you tell me that there's some way to get used to that.

That's the key. As long as one of our lefties is Chris Sale, this will be overblown. If we're choosing between two starting pitchers to add for next year, I'd still take the righty if everything else is equal. But if Buehrle wants to sign here for $5 million - that's another way of saying if the right lefty is available for the right cost - go for it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
For Arenado, I don't see how they wouldn't.

Arenado-Saladino-Sanchez-Abreu could be the best infield on defense, and Arenado and Abreu bring offense.

Yeah but Arenado's splits away from Coors aren't that great and Saladino/Sanchez would probably be the weakest hitting middle infield in baseball. Anderson has to tools and speed to be an elite SS offensively and everything I've read says his defense has improved this season.

Trading Q seems dumb considering the deal he is signed to and his effectiveness but I would rather move some one from a position of depth than trade our only good minor league position player. Also if we do move Q it could definitely be for some one who could hold down 3B at a high level for the next 3-5 years.

Edit: Just looked at Arenado's stats this season and I don't think we have a package to land him without Q.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
Yeah but Arenado's splits away from Coors aren't that great and Saladino/Sanchez would probably be the weakest hitting middle infield in baseball. Anderson has to tools and speed to be an elite SS offensively and everything I've read says his defense has improved this season.

Trading Q seems dumb considering the deal he is signed to and his effectiveness but I would rather move some one from a position of depth than trade our only good minor league position player. Also if we do move Q it could definitely be for some one who could hold down 3B at a high level for the next 3-5 years.

Edit: Just looked at Arenado's stats this season and I don't think we have a package to land him without Q.

I really think you should stop and go look at the average numbers for 2b/SS around the league. They're worse than you think.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
I really think you should stop and go look at the average numbers for 2b/SS around the league. They're worse than you think.

SS is a very weak position but I count 16 2nd basemen with an OPS over .700, Sanchez is okay to have as a starter for his glove but can you really deal with a long term solution of Saladino/Sanchez?

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
SS is a very weak position but I count 16 2nd basemen with an OPS over .700, Sanchez is okay to have as a starter for his glove but can you really deal with a long term solution of Saladino/Sanchez?

About a .700 OPS is close to average for 2b. Can you honestly tell me you don't believe Sanchez can pull off a .700 OPS based on this season? Yes he's below that for the full time but the question I have in reply is how much weight do you give his first month in the bigs this season. In the other thread there's a point out that his OPS since the AS break is over .800 - that's probably overweighting what he can do, but if I filter back to June 15, including a couple weeks where he was still struggling, he's hitting .274 with a .706 OPS since June 15 over 223 plate appearances. That's also with a not-unreasonable .324 BABIP over that stretch.

He hasn't gotten extremely lucky over that stretch, he's still young and has stuff to work on (baserunning, hitting, etc.) but over the last 2.33 months he's put up numbers that seem sustainable and would make him an average SS with the bats. Not great, but if playing great defense, you're ok with that, and he's still young enough so we can talk about the word "upside" there a lot too.

His minor league numbers are generally consistent with that level of performance - he had some seasons, especially when he was really young for a level, where he struggled mightily, but then he always turned that around and started putting up .750+ OPS numbers once adapted.

Can the White Sox deal with a long term solution of Saladino and Sanchez? IF they're average hitters for those positions and above average defenders that's a pretty solid up-the-middle. What's the problem? They still need offense somewhere. They're missing a big bat at 3b, they're missing a big bat at DH, they're at a tolerable but still below average bat in LF, and they're way below average at catcher (since Soto is a FA). They could live with those 2 up the middle offensively if they filled the other spots with guys good enough to bring those positions up to tolerable.

Then again, maybe the right move is to play Anderson at SS and Micah at 2b and go for the above average bats long-term, but I still advise patience, particularly with Anderson. Micah could make a decent case to be a guy who rotates into and out of the DH spot next year to try to work several players into the rotation & see where they go...if we hadn't insisted that we must compete in 2015 and brought in a big money DH. Dah well.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
I think the Rockies would seriously consider Montas/Johnson as the pitching portion of a deal for Arenado. Then add Anderson or Micah. Maybe even use Avi if they trade cargo.

Unless you are including Sale, there isn't a combination of FOUR players in the ENTIRE White Sox organization that the Rockies would trade Nolan Arenado for.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
Unless you are including Sale, there isn't a combination of FOUR players in the ENTIRE White Sox organization that the Rockies would trade Nolan Arenado for.

So the Rockies would turn down Jose Quintana, Jose Abreu, Carlos Rodon and Tim Anderson for Arenado? Lolno

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
So the Rockies would turn down Jose Quintana, Jose Abreu, Carlos Rodon and Tim Anderson for Arenado? Lolno

I forgot about Rodon. But they wouldn't trade him for Quintana, Abreu, Johnson & Anderson.