My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

What about Man Soo Lee?

That deal doesn't get you Todd Frazier, unfortunately. If it's Anderson or Montas substituted for one of those names, then you're a lot closer. Imagine you're a Cincy fan...would you be excited by anyone there at all other than Adams?

Just think of the Shark/Russell deal...or even Donaldson to TOR. There has to be at least one surefire starting position player going back in return and/or more overall prospect talent included.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while!

But I would look into the likes of Ian Desmond and Asdrubal Cabrera. I feel Cabrera could man 3B potentially, or maybe Desmond can. I'm sure if not one of them could man 2B. I don't believe either are going to cost compensation so I would look at those 2 way before giving up a pick for Kendrick. Also I wouldn't touch Ian Kennedy due to the compensation. Another guy I wouldn't hate giving a short deal to is David Freese but he isn't sitting at the top of my list.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
It's been a while!

But I would look into the likes of Ian Desmond and Asdrubal Cabrera. I feel Cabrera could man 3B potentially, or maybe Desmond can. I'm sure if not one of them could man 2B. I don't believe either are going to cost compensation so I would look at those 2 way before giving up a pick for Kendrick. Also I wouldn't touch Ian Kennedy due to the compensation. Another guy I wouldn't hate giving a short deal to is David Freese but he isn't sitting at the top of my list.

Ian Desmond was given a QO. He'd cost a top 30 pick.

With the rays snapping up Miller, I would love for Hahn to check in with Texas regarding Jurickson Profar. He appears to be a great buy low candidate here are his stats in the AFL .238/.314/.452 - .766 with 6BB and 7K in nearly 50AB the important thing here is health, which he appears to be. Hes been shuttling between SS and 2B with Surprise. Profar will only be 23 at the start of the year and is blocked at every infield position with texas (Beltre/Gallo 3B, Andrus SS, Odor 2B and Hanser Alberto for utility). Steamer projects him for nearly 2WAR next year. Texas is looking to bolster their rotation after letting Gallardo and Lewis go.

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 01:13 AM)
With the rays snapping up Miller, I would love for Hahn to check in with Texas regarding Jurickson Profar. He appears to be a great buy low candidate here are his stats in the AFL .238/.314/.452 - .766 with 6BB and 7K in nearly 50AB the important thing here is health, which he appears to be. Hes been shuttling between SS and 2B with Surprise. Profar will only be 23 at the start of the year and is blocked at every infield position with texas (Beltre/Gallo 3B, Andrus SS, Odor 2B and Hanser Alberto for utility). Steamer projects him for nearly 2WAR next year. Texas is looking to bolster their rotation after letting Gallardo and Lewis go.

You think there's a package that could be had for Quintana?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
You think there's a package that could be had for Quintana?

no offense meant but let me asked this, rhetorically

who would want a solid #2 weak #1 sp, who has not been injured nor has put up some 180 innings regularly and is cost control ????

With farm rich teams like the Cubs and RedSox being in buyer mode, it's just another good year to make them overpay and build the organization, so that the Sox can be buyers in a season or 2.

The Sox are just a lot further way than an Upton and Weiters to getting into contention. Guys like Cabrera wouldn't help at all. Freese would help a lot if the team were otherwise set, which it isn't.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
With farm rich teams like the Cubs and RedSox being in buyer mode, it's just another good year to make them overpay and build the organization, so that the Sox can be buyers in a season or 2.

The Sox are just a lot further way than an Upton and Weiters to getting into contention. Guys like Cabrera wouldn't help at all. Freese would help a lot if the team were otherwise set, which it isn't.

i put up a post, something in line as your post suggestion. i thought long and hard looking at the prospects.

for me, STL, HOU, TOR, even Yanks.

some can make a case for Mets, Dodgers.

all these teams are looking for cost control but the bold are the main one imo, really looking.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)

Unfortunately they have FA as their first choice before you even get a shot at making them overpay.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
i put up a post, something in line as your post suggestion. i thought long and hard looking at the prospects.

for me, STL, HOU, TOR, even Yanks.

some can make a case for Mets, Dodgers.

all these teams are looking for cost control but the bold are the main one imo, really looking.

I think Houston makes the most sense for a potential trade partner. STL, Toronto and the Yanks have money to buy FA pitching. Dodgers could be interested although they have the money for FA pitching too but the Mets don't need pitching with Wheeler expected back in '16.

I seriously doubt the Sox trade any one of Sale, Q or Rodon but if they did, I'd say Houston matches up very well as a trade partner.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
I think Houston makes the most sense for a potential trade partner. STL, Toronto and the Yanks have money to buy FA pitching. Dodgers could be interested although they have the money for FA pitching too but the Mets don't need pitching with Wheeler expected back in '16.

I seriously doubt the Sox trade any one of Sale, Q or Rodon but if they did, I'd say Houston matches up very well as a trade partner.

you make an excellent point. the way i was looking, i was looking at players who will be able to slid in in 2 yr or 3, so those teams i mention have a solid list of prospects who drafted college players and just need time to learn and further develop.

Hou most definitely, but here is where i will differ with you.. Stl wants and according their comments i have read, they want to look at what they can trade for before they will do it in the free agency. they will not touch any of their top 5 thru 8 prospects, but they have a very strong system,

now, the yanks have what for a team payroll 200 mil payroll before even the first idea of obtaining players, they want to be a little frugal until some of their high contracts comes off the books, plus for the high salaried team, how many times have they made the post season??

Mets don't have that kind of money but they are really strict in dealing and some of the prospects they have, outside the top 10..... oh well.

tor needs a sp and a rp, they tasted the playoff and well, they may play....

but i am looking at prospects who can supplement the system, the key players need to come from the FA's list.

nice post.

screwed up on a word.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 01:13 AM)

Made a trade proposal earlier this season where the Sox would send Q to the Rangers for Mazara, Profar, and Ortiz. I think that trade would benefit both teams pretty well.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
you make an excellent point. the way i was looking, i was looking at players who will be able to slid in in 2 yr or 3, so those teams i mention have a solid list of prospects who drafted college players and just need time to learn and further develop.

Hou most definitely, but here is where i will differ with you.. Stl wants and according their comments i have read, they want to look at what they can trade for before they will do it in the free agency. they will not touch any of their top 5 thru 8 prospects, but they have a very strong system,

now, the yanks have what for a team payroll 200 mil payroll before even the first idea of obtaining players, they want to be a little frugal until some of their high contracts comes off the books, plus for the high salaried team, how many times have they made the post season??

Mets don't have that kind of money but they are really strict in dealing and some of the prospects they have, outside the top 10..... oh well.

tor needs a sp and a rp, they tasted the playoff and well, they may play....

but i am looking at prospects who can supplant the system, the key players need to come from the FA's list.

nice post.

Thing is, is that the Sox are looking for players that can help sooner than later, they won't rebuild which is what teams do when they trade for players that won't be ready for 2-3 years. If the SOX were to trade Q, there's going to be at least one MLB ready bat coming back and another not far away from being MLB ready. For example, something along the lines of Q to Houston for 3B Villanueva (MLB bat), 1B AJ Reed ( ready by '16/'17), Mark Appel ( Cooper project still with front line potential) and Joe Musgrove ( big durable ground ball pitcher the Sox would likely covet). I think this is along the lines of what the Sox might look for when listening to returns on Q.

Yanks: they talk s*** every year about how they need to trim payroll and blah blah blah and yet their payroll continues going up,lol. They have said they aren't trading Bird, Severino or Judge so that pretty much takes them out of the bidding for a Sox starter. Supposedly they have expressed an interest in Samardzija which shows they, once again, are willing to spend money in the off season.

Mets: They have 65M in salary commitments for 2016. With their pitching so young and cheap, I think they hit FA pretty hard for at least a few hitters. They have money to burn and likely will. Plus, the Mets do not need pitching.

Toronto: IMHO, will definitely hit FA in search of pitching. Don't forget that AA was criticized for trading so many prospects this past season which probably means they cling to what they have left.

STL: the Cards aren't getting a pitcher like Q without giving up a few top prospects so if what you have read is true, I believe ya, the Cards aren't trading for Q. The Cards stand at 101M for committed salary in '16 so they have money to burn and will have to if they want to keep their best prospects.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
Made a trade proposal earlier this season where the Sox would send Q to the Rangers for Mazara, Profar, and Ortiz. I think that trade would benefit both teams pretty well.

Profar has not shown he can play the field w his shoulder issues.

name='BlackSox13' date='Nov 8, 2015

Thing is, is that the Sox are looking for players that can help sooner than later, they won't rebuild which is what teams do when they trade for players that won't be ready for 2-3 years. If the SOX were to trade Q, there's going to be at least one MLB ready bat coming back and another not far away from being MLB ready. For example, something along the lines of Q to Houston for 3B Villanueva (MLB bat), 1B AJ Reed ( ready by '16/'17), Mark Appel ( Cooper project still with front line potential) and Joe Musgrove ( big durable ground ball pitcher the Sox would likely covet). I think this is along the lines of what the Sox might look for when listening to returns on Q.

excellent - my post is based on my opinion of the depth of said teams. you are correct, the sox will want a mlb player plus.

Yanks: they talk s*** every year about how they need to trim payroll and blah blah blah and yet their payroll continues going up,lol. They have said they aren't trading Bird, Severino or Judge so that pretty much takes them out of the bidding for a Sox starter. Supposedly they have expressed an interest in Samardzija which shows they, once again, are willing to spend money in the off season.

no matter what the yanks are or are not saying. they have a catcher who will be mlb ready.... again i was looking at what the sox needs

Mets: They have 65M in salary commitments for 2016. With their pitching so young and cheap, I think they hit FA pretty hard for at least a few hitters. They have money to burn and likely will. Plus, the Mets do not need pitching.

good point, but they are very one sided in their ideas of trades. good luck mets.

Toronto: IMHO, will definitely hit FA in search of pitching. Don't forget that AA was criticized for trading so many prospects this past season which probably means they cling to what they have left.

yeah you are right, but again it goes back to actual cost of the fa's.

STL: the Cards aren't getting a pitcher like Q without giving up a few top prospects so if what you have read is true, I believe ya, the Cards aren't trading for Q. The Cards stand at 101M for committed salary in '16 so they have money to burn and will have to if they want to keep their best prospects.

exactly, but the big question mark will be Heyward and his salary, if he resigns. if he does not, how much will the cards accept from the owners to have the salary cap at a certain $$ value. that question with ref to Stl, has always bothered me, what will be the max Stl will have for a team salary.

btw, very well thought out post about the what may be a very interesting couple of weeks.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
name='BlackSox13' date='Nov 8, 2015

excellent - my post is based on my opinion of the depth of said teams. you are correct, the sox will want a mlb player plus.

no matter what the yanks are or are not saying. they have a catcher who will be mlb ready.... again i was looking at what the sox needs

good point, but they are very one sided in their ideas of trades. good luck mets.

yeah you are right, but again it goes back to actual cost of the fa's.

exactly, but the big question mark will be Heyward and his salary, if he resigns. if he does not, how much will the cards accept from the owners to have the salary cap at a certain $$ value. that question with ref to Stl, has always bothered me, what will be the max Stl will have for a team salary.

btw, very well thought out post about the what may be a very interesting couple of weeks.

Yanks: are you thinking of Gary Sanchez? I think he's definitely obtainable from a Sox perspective. Big arm and power, just needs to work on defensive skills. Not sure what it would take to get Sanchez, Sox reliever + low level ML pitcher? Sanchez would be a cost effective solution to Flowers. I like the idea.

Cards: not sure how high they are willing to go with payroll. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up in a bidding war with the cubs for Cespedes. Just my opinion but I don't think STL is going to offer what Heyward ends up commanding so STL turns their attention to Cespedes. just a guess really.

Mets: wouldn't surprise me if they end up with one of Parra/ Upton, heck, maybe both. I think the Mets are fine on the IF but need help in the OF.

Toronto: could see them in a possible bidding war with the Yanks for Samardzija. I think they plan to put Sanchez into the rotation to cover one of the SP holes.

It's going to be fun with the GM meetings approaching but in the end I just don't see Sale, Q or Rodon going anywhere and that makes me happy. :D

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
Yanks: are you thinking of Gary Sanchez? I think he's definitely obtainable from a Sox perspective. Big arm and power, just needs to work on defensive skills. Not sure what it would take to get Sanchez, Sox reliever + low level ML pitcher? Sanchez would be a cost effective solution to Flowers. I like the idea.

Cards: not sure how high they are willing to go with payroll. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up in a bidding war with the cubs for Cespedes. Just my opinion but I don't think STL is going to offer what Heyward ends up commanding so STL turns their attention to Cespedes. just a guess really.

Mets: wouldn't surprise me if they end up with one of Parra/ Upton, heck, maybe both. I think the Mets are fine on the IF but need help in the OF.

Toronto: could see them in a possible bidding war with the Yanks for Samardzija. I think they plan to put Sanchez into the rotation to cover one of the SP holes.

It's going to be fun with the GM meetings approaching but in the end I just don't see Sale, Q or Rodon going anywhere and that makes me happy. :D

excellent ... excellent discussion. this was not a fantasy of idea and trades but an idea of what is out there, looking at the teams have in surplus and thinking of what the sox needs.

those mention is or could line up with the sox .... the only problem is what will be the cost.

another team i am hedging on, that is b/c what is being written is back and forth on what they intend on doing. at the trade deadline, Col was thinking of 2 more yrs and making a push, now, i get no feel of what they want.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
excellent ... excellent discussion. this was not a fantasy of idea and trades but an idea of what is out there, looking at the teams have in surplus and thinking of what the sox needs.

those mention is or could line up with the sox .... the only problem is what will be the cost.

another team i am hedging on, that is b/c what is being written is back and forth on what they intend on doing. at the trade deadline, Col was thinking of 2 more yrs and making a push, now, i get no feel of what they want.

To be honest I think we're looking at a pretty mellow winter this time around. I doubt we see any major moves involving big names like Sale and Q. Not that the Sox won't make moves, just going to be less than what Sox fans maybe hoping for. Not trying to be a gloom and doom pessimist, just realistic in my own expectations.

Given the Sox financials and that they are trying to hold onto key prospects, I think we end up seeing Asdrubal Cabrera signed to play SS and Freese signed to play 3B. No, these aren't the big names some are hoping for but they won't cost draft picks, can be signed for an affordable price and are upgrades over what the Sox currently have available for those two positions.

I'm glad you mentioned the Yanks yesterday. The Yanks have no room for Gary Sanchez and the Sox could use a young catcher with an arm and power in the bat. Sanchez would be a less costly option than Norris whom SD will likely want nice prospects in return.

I'd like to point out that none of these players would be my first choice, just players that can be had without costing the Sox huge money or dipping into the farm. I would expect more next year after Danks and LaRoche contracts are off the books for good. This year, I'm just trying to humble my expectations. :)

I was thinking Q to the Blue Jays if he does get traded with the package starting at Pompey. The Jays can't possibly move away from Pillar in CF and they already have Revere under control in LF for 2 more years so makes sense for them to use Pompey as a trade chip while they are in World Series mode. Not too sure about the rest of their farm system though. Pentecost is a nice C prospect from the 1st round a couple years ago, but missed the entire year with shoulder surgery.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
To be honest I think we're looking at a pretty mellow winter this time around. I doubt we see any major moves involving big names like Sale and Q. Not that the Sox won't make moves, just going to be less than what Sox fans maybe hoping for. Not trying to be a gloom and doom pessimist, just realistic in my own expectations.

Given the Sox financials and that they are trying to hold onto key prospects, I think we end up seeing Asdrubal Cabrera signed to play SS and Freese signed to play 3B. No, these aren't the big names some are hoping for but they won't cost draft picks, can be signed for an affordable price and are upgrades over what the Sox currently have available for those two positions.

I'm glad you mentioned the Yanks yesterday. The Yanks have no room for Gary Sanchez and the Sox could use a young catcher with an arm and power in the bat. Sanchez would be a less costly option than Norris whom SD will likely want nice prospects in return.

I'd like to point out that none of these players would be my first choice, just players that can be had without costing the Sox huge money or dipping into the farm. I would expect more next year after Danks and LaRoche contracts are off the books for good. This year, I'm just trying to humble my expectations. :)

again, you are making an excellent and reasonable post, looking at the picture that is on hand.

ref to the yanks, yes that was the move and in opinion everything kind of stems from this. problem is, how many other teams will or should be competing against the sox for this trade???? many. the problem that is negative that i was reading is the has a prickly personality, but was that also said on Aj and another catcher in the 90's that did well for the sox???

now someone mention Dunn and laroche failure when being compare to Alvarez, while they made a really good point, it is not the same.... too much difference there, PA is in his last Arb yr and next yr the sox can not give him a QO, so it is a win-win deal. in addition lets look at the age, there is a big difference there. also he carries a prickly personality as well and that is why Pitt been trying to trade him.

Hou was looking a a nice trade last yr with San but it fell threw. the sox can slide in and pick up where San missed. again Hou wants a Sp whether it is #1 or a #5 but they really want another Cl.... they have a lot to offer...

now Stl, Lackey is a FA and so is Heyward. there pitching prospects are at least a yr away and i figure they will make a move when Heyward situation is settle.

now for the immediate moves. i have been looking and i really can't see no help on the FA front so Freese is the only choice.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
I was thinking Q to the Blue Jays if he does get traded with the package starting at Pompey. The Jays can't possibly move away from Pillar in CF and they already have Revere under control in LF for 2 more years so makes sense for them to use Pompey as a trade chip while they are in World Series mode. Not too sure about the rest of their farm system though. Pentecost is a nice C prospect from the 1st round a couple years ago, but missed the entire year with shoulder surgery.

A package centered around Pompey (a player in the mold of one we already have locked up long term, who happens to play the same position), and Pentecost for Quintana would be very disappointing.

If you trade Q, it is for a kings ransom. That isn't it.