Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
It's not the case. Don't people read? I mean f***ing seriously....

Nightengale mostly, but others have said the Sox "may consider" 4 years.

In the end they'll either have to give more guaranteed years or they won't sign him.

I can't say what is or isn't true, only what is being reported.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
Again, who has said more than 3 years has been offered by the Sox?

Brian has said that the report is nonsense. His word has been good all offseason both privately and publicly. The White Sox want the 3 year thing out there but by no means is it an absolute. It's just regurgitated nonsense that people keep repeating because it's easier to fit the "White Sox are cheap" narrative instead of a negotiating tactic.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Funny because if this were the Sox with these signs, you would be declaring him a done deal.

I thought that yesterday things were looking up when raBBit posted but, now I feel like I'm floating in a no gravity zone. Don't know which way is up.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
Cespedes is going to get 100 million. Sox aren't signing him to a 3/100.

This is purely my guess work.

2016: 18 million

2017: 22 million, Player opt out, 4 million buy out

2018: 23 million

2019: 25 million

2020: 27 million, vesting option on PAs

If Cespedes stays health he gets 5 yrs 115 million and a 23 AAV. If he kills it for two years, he gets 22 AAV and another stab at the market.

Have you heard anything at all from your inside source?

Adrian Woj of Yahoo mentioned the Bulls were frontrunners for Caron Butler, and then right after his report came out, Butler signed with another team. It's hilarious but these things go out there and nothing happens. If Washington wants Cespedes, they would have him signed right now. What is the wait for? It is almost February. Everyone wants to get a bargain with Cespedes for some reason. You think perhaps it has to do with his character or his inconsistency through the years. Have to be possibilities.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

After seeing the Upton deal, I have been saying there is zero chance the Sox get Cespedes. Realistically, there is no way, given there current motive of operatis, that they are prepared to pay the money Cespedes is going to get. My personal opinion is the only shot the Sox had was to aggressively play him when multiple other options were out there (vs. the slow play). Also, when it comes to the Nats, they have a track record of giving big money and signing big free agents, so when I put two and two together, I find it very unlikely the Sox are going to win this whole deal.

The reality is the org needs to stop pretending and be proactive on the alternative options before they get caught with there pants down. Hopefully they are doing just that.

PS: I had to create a new thread cause I hate mega threads. That is all :)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
The Nats are the new yankees though in that they have not met a high priced FA they don't like.

Their owner is about as wealthy as anyone, and their payroll is well down from last season. I just don't see the fit. I am probably wrong, but I think if they really are engaged, they may be trying to get the Sox or another team to offer more years and keep him off the Mets.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
Their owner is about as wealthy as anyone, and their payroll is well down from last season. I just don't see the fit. I am probably wrong, but I think if they really are engaged, they may be trying to get the Sox or another team to offer more years and keep him off the Mets.

Very real possibility, although who knows, maybe they want to cut Werth's playing time.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
I got Pants one time back in grammar school.

Well Ricky, I hope you learned your lesson. Now close the deal with Fowler before the Big 3 market officially closes and Fowler ends up being the primary target (might already be too late and Fowler's agent is already knowing he isn't going to dance until the Cespedes saga plays out).

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
I thought that yesterday things were looking up when raBBit posted but, now I feel like I'm floating in a no gravity zone. Don't know which way is up.

If you want encouragement, go back and reread the Abreu coming to America thread. Then read the Frazier thread. I have not reviewed either, but definitely recall a roller coaster conversation for at least parts of both and it got a lot worse as the actual deal approached. The hyperbole and desperation also became unbearable and even the smartest posters started either trolling/baiting, or legitimately spewing vitriol.

Whether or not the Sox get Cespedes, understand we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Even beyond the random blogger/twitter whore, there are all kinds of people with an agenda feeding false information to the masses and it happens all the time.