Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
I feel like Laroche at this point is done with it and wants it over with

You cant walk something like this back. He created a fire storm, the time for rational was at the start. I have no inside information, but Im guessing Laroche thought his "ultimatum" would work, he thought getting the Sox star Sale on his side would change things. The Sox dug in and it became national news. Now a "family first" guy has a chance of being exposed for making things up.

Its the only thing to me that seems to make any sense.

Edited by Soxbadger

LaRoche did have a retweet from Desmond Howard where Howard essentially said something along the lines of "I don't think Adam will be "retired" for all that long"

I wonder what that means. I don't think many teams have a place or want him... but interesting none the less. The real drama on Twitter is if you follow his Meat Company rather than Adam himself. He's letting a lot more out there.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
For those saying sale and Eaton should shut up and deal with this internally how the hell will that work. They can't go to Ventura bc KW went over his head with all of this, same as RH. The only option they have is to go to JR, but KW head is so far up JR *** that it won't help. So they take the only avenue available to them.

" No comment " is usually a good answer to a clubhouse issue.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
I'm not sure what you mean by "everything" but he decided to take on a task of managing a sensitive issue in the locker room, and did it so ineffectively that it has been national news for 3 days and has his ace pitcher openly talking s*** in the media.

That's less than inspiring from a President of the company. And what's worse, since this was handled so high up, the only escalation point is the owner.

A few things:

1) So you are reading this fiasco as really just being the result of the LaRoche situation?

2) You are taking what you are hearing at the moment at face value, when the truth seems to change on an hourly basis?

We have very little idea what actually happened with this, from start to finish. We may be better served to find out before we start calling for the firing of the President.

Could see Kenny saying-

First time- Adam, let's dial back how often Drake is here.

Nothing changed.

Second time- Adam, we've discussed this before, I don't want your focus diverted. Leave him home a few times a week.

Nothing changed.

Third time- Drake is not welcomed here anymore.

Adam quits and becomes a martyr.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
Could see Kenny saying-

First time- Adam, let's dial back how often Drake is here.

Nothing changed.

Second time- Adam, we've discussed this before, I don't want your focus diverted. Leave him home a few times a week.

Nothing changed.

Third time- Drake is not welcomed here anymore.

Adam quits and becomes a martyr.

I could totally see this being the case.

QUOTE (Downtown518 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Or an ultimatum was issued after LaRoche falied to comply with original request.

Seems most logical. KW probably snapped when AL ignored his original request. Still think KW Is in the right in all of this - but perhaps should have let Robon handle. In the day, gets a below Replacement level player off of the team and gives the White Sox $13 million to play with. After the dust settles that can be considered nothing but a good thing.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
It would be great if Sale and Eaton handled this as well as LaRoche seemingly is in that letter. Him calling out Kenny is interesting, and if what he is saying is true they absolutely need to get rid of Kenny.

I don't think he was calling out Kenny at all. I think he was trying to just recount the facts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
A few things:

1) So you are reading this fiasco as really just being the result of the LaRoche situation?

2) You are taking what you are hearing at the moment at face value, when the truth seems to change on an hourly basis?

We have very little idea what actually happened with this, from start to finish. We may be better served to find out before we start calling for the firing of the President.

1) Yes. There is zero doubt that the catalyst was LaRoche. If your clubhouse personalities are so unstable that small interferences cause huge eruptions like this, it should have been in his calculations before acting. More, it should have been dealt with by the entire organization.

2) That the truth has been changing by the hour for 3 days on a workplace environment issue where nobody was assaulted or killed is an example of gigantic incompetence. KW has already shown ineptitude at communicating clearly, for example last July when he threw Hahn under the bus.

The catalyst of this, KW and Laroche in a disagreement that has Laroche quit, crap happens. Isolated from everything, I'm on KW's side.

But everything that happens after that is what gets KW fired. He has shown no ability to control the message, his employees, or a friendly media (to this point).

That's not a good look, especially 2 weeks before your fans are going to naturally get excited to play baseball.

I would either fire Kenny or announce organizational restructuring that handles situations like this in the future.

Status quo is not acceptable. An ACTUAL issue that requires talent to control will occur soon, and they are clearly not ready.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
It would be great if Sale and Eaton handled this as well as LaRoche seemingly is in that letter. Him calling out Kenny is interesting, and if what he is saying is true they absolutely need to get rid of Kenny.

Chris Sale is still salty that Tyler Flowers won't be around to "frame" his pitches anymore.

I'm about 10 pages behind, so what I say may have already been addressed but...

Which person does it harm more to lie about Drake's access in the clubhouse, KW or LaRoche/Sale/Eaton? If LaRoche/Sale/Eaton lied or were misled, all the backlash they will receive will be a bruised ego. If KW lied, his job is on the line, and ultimately his future.

That's why I'm more inclined to believe KW. He has more to lose than those that are crying.

Edited by Nunnigan

So if Laroche was taking Drake with him on the road was he paying for the his tickets on flights and getting his own hotel room. Was Drake eating food from the locker room. I really hope Laroche was paying for that stuff cause if not the Sox did awful alot for his kid to be there all the time

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
Facts:

1. The Sox have made the playoffs once in 10 years, and got trounced in their only appearance.

2. The face of the franchise addressed the media and said the team president flat out lied to them, and wouldn't answer the question of "What do the players think of Kenny Willaims?"

Even if you are a Willaims fan, what positive influence does Kenny Willaims bring to the White Sox? I don't understand how he keeps his job.

Agreed.

I honestly don't have a problem with KW telling LaRoche not to bring his kid, and think Laroche is playing martyr.

But KW has to own every thing that came after this. He had a largely sympathetic media and fan group, and somehow this all imploded on him.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
So if Laroche was taking Drake with him on the road was he paying for the his tickets on flights and getting his own hotel room. Was Drake eating food from the locker room. I really hope Laroche was paying for that stuff cause if not the Sox did awful alot for his kid to be there all the time

I guarantee you he didn't pay anything.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)
Exactly. Sale and Eaton are parading through the media like politicians trying to sway public opinion their way. A true leader keeps their mouth shut and handles the business internally. Imo, a good example of this is the silence of Rick Hahn. Rick is smart by not publically fanning the flames and I'd guess is doing his best behind the scenes to help resolve the situation. Same for any players and coaches that have stayed quiet and tried to keep the dispute within the locker room.

as i said, damage control full throttle.