Sox attended Lincecum showcase day - Angels expected to sign him

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to CBS Sportline Tommy Milone was outright released tonight by the Twins.

He's had some success in the majors. I don't think it would hurt to give him a look-see, maybe Cooper can help him out.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Tex @ May 6, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
I was just thinking doesn't releasing Danks put the team in a more honest negotiating position. Here is the spot for you. Look at the standings. Don't look at our offer. Look at the standings and here is your spot in the location. Why are you looking at the cash? I told you don't look at the cash, look at the standings. . .

Athletes rarely look at it that way.

Good lord. Lincecum has been complete dogs*** since after 2011. ERA+ of 75, 75 in 615 innings from 2012 through 2015. 1.40 WHIP. 4 walks per 9. 4.68 ERA in a pitchers park in the National League. John Danks over that stretch 82 ERA+ coming off shoulder capsule surgery. Miguel Gonzalez over that stretch 107.

It's not like Lincecum was good, got injured last year and now is coming back. He's been absolute dogs*** for years, has been sent to the bullpen. But the meathead media omits all of that- they know he's a former Cy Young winner and that's literally all they know. There's no reason to assume Lincecum is as good as Erik Johnson, Miguel Gonzalez, Chris Beck, Scott Carroll, John Danks, Mark Buehrle or anyone else. Someone will give him some money though. Angels have like 2 starting pitchers. Some bad team can offer him a little money, hope they get a lucky streak from him and flip him at the deadline.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ May 7, 2016 -> 12:07 AM)
Good lord. Lincecum has been complete dogs*** since after 2011. ERA+ of 75, 75 in 615 innings from 2012 through 2015. 1.40 WHIP. 4 walks per 9. 4.68 ERA in a pitchers park in the National League. John Danks over that stretch 82 ERA+ coming off shoulder capsule surgery. Miguel Gonzalez over that stretch 107.

It's not like Lincecum was good, got injured last year and now is coming back. He's been absolute dogs*** for years, has been sent to the bullpen. But the meathead media omits all of that- they know he's a former Cy Young winner and that's literally all they know. There's no reason to assume Lincecum is as good as Erik Johnson, Miguel Gonzalez, Chris Beck, Scott Carroll, John Danks, Mark Buehrle or anyone else. Someone will give him some money though. Angels have like 2 starting pitchers. Some bad team can offer him a little money, hope they get a lucky streak from him and flip him at the deadline.

He's probably going to the Angels. I wouldn't want him on this team anyway. I think Milone would be a better rebound candidate. Milone has been an AL guy his whole career and I think Lincecum will have a whole lot of problems transitioning to the AL.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
Not sure they want to go back to having four left-handers in the rotation, ceteris paribus.

Gonzalez probably gets at least two more starts, unless he just gets rocked on Monday.

Er, Lincecum is right handed.

#chisox off to a great start and what former cy young winner are they considering adding? the answer.... https://t.co/YrOrBfjCHH

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/729491800117919744

The link goes to his Facebook page and this is the post

WHAT FOUR TEAMS ARE SHOWING KEEN EARLY INTEREST IN PITCHER TIM LINCECUM?

The #WhiteSox, #Angels and #Diamondbacks are among teams known to have joined the San Francisco Giants with early interest in star free agent pitcher Tim Lincecum, who conducted the world's most-watched showcase by wearer of cargo shorts Friday.

The #Padres also are expected to be in the mix following the one-man tryout attended by the Dodgers, A's, Rangers, Astros, Marlins, Nats, Orioles, Astros, and many others.

The #Giants are expected to have interest in Lincecum at least as a reliever, tough after a successful showcase Lincecum is expected to have starting opportunities. The belief has been that both sides would like to stay together, if possible. The showcase took place on the Giants' home field, Scottsdale Stadium.

Lincecum was clocked at 89-92 mph, and his curveball and changeup were said to have been especially sharp. As a two-time Cy Young winner returning after hip surgery, he has garnered intense interest all around baseball.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 8, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
I am totally cool giving Lincecum an incentive deal.

A Latos-esque deal.

June 1st, 2016:

Sale

Quintana

Latos (to split up the lefties)

Rodon

Lincecum

With Fulmer in the pen and insurance in case one gets injured?

John Danks fastball velocity fell 2mph this year to 87.2.

Lincecum's last year was 87.5. His WHIP was 1.48. His 4.13 ERA was his best since 2011 in part because he lucked his way to his lowest home run rate since 2011 while playing in cavernous National League park. How would moving to a home run park and having to face DHs help that out? I have no reason to think Lincecum is as good as Scott Carroll.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Yes, and he will throw 41 pitches, a couple at 91 and an ESPN writer will determine he is back to being the 2008 Johnny Danks.

"Interested Teams: The White Sox, they really could use someone to fill the void at the 5th starter spot vacated by John Danks."

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 9, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
I dunno if I'd bother with him. What's his upside in the AL? Not much IMO.

Plus there are rumors that he is wanting more than he worth. Would assume $5M+. He's worth a cheap gamble but not much more than that. Wish Fulmer was closer than he was. I do have a feeling that whoever (hopefully Gonzalez) fills the 5th starter role will do well once they settle in & have a good outing.

My biggest question with the off-day on Thursday, do you go with your top 3 guys this weekend or still have a 5th starter go Sunday?