Carson Fulmer Getting Called Up?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 06:54 AM)
I just do not like this for his development at all. He seemed like he was just starting to hit his stride as a starter after struggling most of the year, so now we move him to the pen?

It sounds like he hit his stride hit after he abandoned the mechanic changes he was working on. If so, I'm far less concerned about that and more concerned about not getting him enough innings this year if we still plan on him being a starter long-term.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 04:46 AM)
They arent going to showcase him by bringing him out of the pen, that makes no sense and with the way hes been pitching he absolutely earned a promotion.

Agree unless another organization(s) sees him as a reliever and the Sox will showcase him for the weeks leading up to the trade deadline.

But more likely, maybe the bullpen is his long-term destination this year and they didn't want him making one start and then when Rodon returns move back to pen.

FWIW-Ranaudo was outstanding last night against Boston AAA. Maybe some payback but he 3 hit them over 8.

Edited by SCCWS

This is really pretty simple guys, the team is desperate for a reliever and Fulmer is our best internal option at the moment. I highly doubt this has anything to with showcasing him for a trade and I definitely don't think it means they're writing him off as a starter. It's pretty clear, IMO, that the front office is doing whatever it can to salvage this season. Calling up Fulmer for the pen helps in that regard, even if it's not the best thing for his development.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
This is really pretty simple guys, the team is desperate for a reliever and Fulmer is our best internal option at the moment. I highly doubt this has anything to with showcasing him for a trade and I definitely don't think it means they're writing him off as a starter. It's pretty clear, IMO, that the front office is doing whatever it can to salvage this season. Calling up Fulmer for the pen helps in that regard, even if it's not the best thing for his development.

Yeah-- it seems to be the pattern this season. They are definitely in desperation mode as I mentioned before.

Yeah, the problem is going to be he will end up with an innings limit of something like 150-170 next year.

He's at 87 right now, and you'd guess he would probably end up around 40-60 innings over the remainder off the season out of the bullpen, putting him in the 127-147 total territory.

It would be a LOT to expect 180-200 innings next year, especially if he ends up on the low side of that total.

So the problem created will be finding yet another starter next year for 5-9 starts, roughly. That's the real opportunity cost, and his continued development as a starter in the minors (now that he has more confidence again) vs. lessons learned at the major league level, but as a reliever.

And seemingly, Burdi won't be far behind Fulmer...it's definitely a gamble/calculated risk.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)

Exactly. They are almost going "all in". With the calling up of the two top prospects, eating Danks' contract, DFAing cheap vets like Rollins and Latos without a second thought, Shields trade. They are trying every thing they can to win this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)
Yeah, the problem is going to be he will end up with an innings limit of something like 150-170 next year.

He's at 87 right now, and you'd guess he would probably end up around 40-60 innings over the remainder off the season out of the bullpen, putting him in the 127-147 total territory.

It would be a LOT to expect 180-200 innings next year, especially if he ends up on the low side of that total.

So the problem created will be finding yet another starter next year for 5-9 starts, roughly. That's the real opportunity cost, and his continued development as a starter in the minors (now that he has more confidence again) vs. lessons learned at the major league level, but as a reliever.

And seemingly, Burdi won't be far behind Fulmer...it's definitely a gamble/calculated risk.

Usually you will see first time MLB starters go no more than 6 innings per start during year one. They did this with Rodon and Sale if I remember correctly ? Since the Sox haven't been in the hunt every September, (other than 2012) inning/pitch concerns really have not been a concern with this team and their young starters. If Fulmer is up for good and he is a starter next year-- I say if he can get to 150 innings, that would be a success.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
Not crazy about this but excited to see him

Me neither. From everything I've read he was still really working on a lot down there, and not like the normal working on stuff but he was all over the place working on everything.

But maybe he has figured things out in the last few weeks.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
Me neither. From everything I've read he was still really working on a lot down there, and not like the normal working on stuff but he was all over the place working on everything.

But maybe he has figured things out in the last few weeks.

Well, his last 8 starts have been good to really good.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/...cards/95859/log

So if you check out BA's page on Fulmer one thing that sticks out is his strike percentage. Perhaps the blatant increase can be explained by him working on something the first part of the year (like throw only changeups, pound the bottom of the zone, pitch only inside etc.). So maybe the more finished product has been unleashed the last month+. We'll see.

For comparison's sake, Jose Quintana is hovering around a 62-63 strike%.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
Exactly. They are almost going "all in". With the calling up of the two top prospects, eating Danks' contract, DFAing cheap vets like Rollins and Latos without a second thought, Shields trade. They are trying every thing they can to win this year.

Yet they are continuing to run Avi out there when he would be better served trying to learn how to play in AAA

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
Hahn has talked about this being one way to limit his workload. There's been a few mentions, namely by Law, that he's back to his Vanderbilt mechanics. His changeup has taken a big step forward this year supposedly.

The changeup he threw to get his first K at the Futures Game was NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSTTTYYYYYYYYY

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)

How many innings did he pitch last year? I would guess 160-170 was probably the max for him this year anyway.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
Just seems like this has the chance to be an ugly series pitching wise. Would have liked to see Q maybe going on Sunday.

Shields and Gonzalez have been our best pitchers over the last 3 weeks, if anything this is shaping up to be a good series pitching wise.