White sox may be reconsidering their stance of being non sellers

Whisox05

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes me think they are going to sell guys who will be FA's in 1-2 seasons to acquire prospects to attempt to make a last shot at a world series run in 2018 and 2019.

A massive rebuild would start in 2020 if unsuccessful.

I guess that means they would try to move Melky, Shields, Robertson, or Frazier. Maybe Lawrie or other pen arms as well.

The irony is if they sold most useful players over the next year they would probably be set to contend by 2020 for much longer.

Edited by soxforlife05

Unless they shock with a complete overhaul, who are the actual player they would consider selling, especially if they treat this as a re-tooling?

Could someone like Z.Duke be a trade candidate? I'm not sure how his contract would be perceived by other teams, but he's had a good season. Is Melky Cabrera a trade candidate? Good hitter, but is he going to create trade buzz and can the White Sox, if they are re-tooling, move an offensive piece that helps them?

Hard to see much to move here other than these large blockbuster types for their pitching.

I don't see them moving Sale or Quintana at this point. It's possible after the season they could come to a conclusion that Fulmer and another season of experience for Rodon (to go with Shields and Sale) could allow them to move Quintana, but that doesn't seem like the type of move they would make.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 06:18 AM)
The problem is if all these guys suck and are going to be free agents fairly soon, who would give up anything of value to get them?

Doesn't the constant trolling get tiring for you? First off, you know the guys we're discussing don't suck. Some of them may be having down years, but they aren't bad baseball players. Second, you're not new to baseball and know that teams pay a premium for talent at the deadline all the time. The fact that none of the guys we'd likely deal are pure rentals is a plus.

Not sure why I even waste my time responding to this nonsense. We all get you're anti-rebuild, you've made that perfectly clear, but why can't you at least be objective in your arguements instead of simply posting fluff?

I woke up this morning with ESPN's Mike and Mike, with Buster Olney on as the guest. Buster talked in detail of Sox trading Sale to either Boston or Texas. Then I went back to sleep.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)
I woke up this morning with ESPN's Mike and Mike, with Buster Olney on as the guest. Buster talked in detail of Sox trading Sale to either Boston or Texas. Then I went back to sleep.

If Boston, only after the season.

They are selling. My gut says they are selling this time. When something doesn't work and you continue to see the same outcome over and over you cant help but be convinced that you have to try a different route. They may be stubborn and optimistic to a fault but this is blatantly obvious.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 07:37 AM)
They are selling. My gut says they are selling this time. When something doesn't work and you continue to see the same outcome over and over you cant help but be convinced that you have to try a different route. They may be stubborn and optimistic to a fault but this is blatantly obvious.

Yeah, I agree with this. Hahn has his warts, and he may actually be bad at his job, but he ain't dumb. The question, I think, is what the goal of the sell is. Is it to contend in 2017? 2018? Beyond?

We'll know in 10 days I suppose.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
Yeah, I agree with this. Hahn has his warts, and he may actually be bad at his job, but he ain't dumb. The question, I think, is what the goal of the sell is. Is it to contend in 2017? 2018? Beyond?

We'll know in 10 days I suppose.

I would hope for 2019, 2020. The reason I'm skeptical is I'm not sure the current FO can be counted on to draft fielding talent.

I've kind of stated my preference that I'm not sure we need to do a full firesale. Right now, we aren' tmaking the playoffs with a closer.

I do feel like best course is to, though, part with Q. Trading away Robertson/Melky/Duke may not net more than some high rated A players. We have some key talent looking to come up in 2018, and hopefully we can trust our talent identifiers and development to see our pitching talent fill in our rotation. But more, hopefully our latin am players buoy our system that by 2018 we can sell the farm for a player thats ACTUALLY going to put us over the top.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
not sure if this has been posted yet.

article

Article in the link states that the Sox had a scout in attendance watching Texas.

If teams on the way outside looking in don't have scouts in Texas, Boston, they're not doing their jobs.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 11:36 PM)
I am getting indications that the #WhiteSox may be re-considering their stance of being "non-sellers" in the coming weeks

https://twitter.com/barstoolWSD/status/755925692064358400

I won't name teams/players yet but have gotten semi-specific details

https://twitter.com/barstoolWSD/status/755926096881868800

If they had reconsidered their stance of not firing Robin perhaps they wouldn't have had to reconsider their stance of being non sellers.

They do a lot of considering but take no action.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
I think we'll move a reliever or two. I still think they see next year as the "last chance" with this core.

What sense does it make to move a reliever or two only to try again next year?

You cannot just easily fix this mess. We're not going to improve via FA, or unloading more prospects (the few we have) for talent.

It's a shame Sale likely won't reach the playoffs with this team, but that's not his failt. Hahn needs to think sensibly and understand the position we're in. Take one step back for two steps forward. If we can improve across several positions by trading Quintana or Sale, it must be done.

I mentioned before in another thread, the sentiment of selling at this point is largely supported by Sox fans. I haven't read one goof mention anything about White Flag or bring up past instances of teams overcoming the odds to make the playoffs, which have overwhelmed this board in the past years. We're all tired of the same "one more year to compete," "rebuilding on the fly," nonsense. Knock it down, learn our lessons, and start over.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
What sense does it make to move a reliever or two only to try again next year?

You cannot just easily fix this mess. We're not going to improve via FA, or unloading more prospects (the few we have) for talent.

It's a shame Sale likely won't reach the playoffs with this team, but that's not his failt. Hahn needs to think sensibly and understand the position we're in. Take one step back for two steps forward. If we can improve across several positions by trading Quintana or Sale, it must be done.

I mentioned before in another thread, the sentiment of selling at this point is largely supported by Sox fans. I haven't read one goof mention anything about White Flag or bring up past instances of teams overcoming the odds to make the playoffs, which have overwhelmed this board in the past years. We're all tired of the same "one more year to compete," "rebuilding on the fly," nonsense. Knock it down, learn our lessons, and start over.

Again thats starts with Jerry on what the sox do. If he wants to try to win they will do so without burning up the minors.