White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

I legit ponder that Sale to Yanks is only real shot at this point (of moving Sale). Cashman and Kenny have historical strong working relationship and Cashman usually is a pretty fair guy when it comes to deals and they are looking long-term and have other ways of supplementing needs. Tate gives them extra ammunition, but Tate is also pretty overrated. His performance has been pretty lousy. ERA over 5 in A ball. People are down on Fulmer, but he's been better than Tate this year.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
I legit ponder that Sale to Yanks is only real shot at this point (of moving Sale). Cashman and Kenny have historical strong working relationship and Cashman usually is a pretty fair guy when it comes to deals and they are looking long-term and have other ways of supplementing needs. Tate gives them extra ammunition, but Tate is also pretty overrated. His performance has been pretty lousy. ERA over 5 in A ball. People are down on Fulmer, but he's been better than Tate this year.

Yeah I don't think Tate moves the needle much in the Yankees for Sale sweepstakes, he's fallen pretty hard this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
Flash Tizzle. But it is a cleaver way of not answering a question.

Clever.

I don't like the Rangers much as a match, so Mazara/Gallo is all I care about. But I was the one in this thread re-setting expectation that I would be happy with one of the top 2 prospects from Boston if it meant 3-4 top 100 along with it, OR if we did receive both we should not expect much more.

From LAD, Urias/Bellinger is the core you need, then can work to get 2-3 others.

Urias wasn't even budged for Hamels, so getting him plus Bellinger starts to approach top value.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
I'd rather hang out with my son than hope (for an hour) that my favorite baseball team's FO finally gets it right.

Same. Selfishly I do wanna refresh the s*** outta Soxtalk until the deadline :)

Somethings going to happen

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
1 hour. Robertson still here.

It's like f***ing musical chairs and we're going to be the only one without chair when the music stops.

This front office better not f*** this up. Even if Sale & Quintana aren't moved, there are other pieces to deal.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
We suck because we won't budge on 2 of the top assets in all of baseball?!? Or because we won't settle for less when we have 2 cost controlled elite pitchers in a seller's market where the top contenders could use pitching?!? Dombrowski, Friedman and Daniels should be the ones sweating right now, not Hahn.

Why??? Their teams are all in good position to make the playoffs. If they are not willing to pay out what Hahn is asking, they are still in good shape. They not only have their team in the playoff hunt, they all have several outstanding prospects in their farm system as well. That is the job of a GM. Success in the majors and talent in the minors. We have neither right now.

I am fine with not trading Sale or Q if you werent offered fair value in return, but to make no moves on trade deadline day for a team that you have admitted to be mired in mediocrity is beyond f***ing me.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
Yeah I don't think Tate moves the needle much in the Yankees for Sale sweepstakes, he's fallen pretty hard this year.

This is further evidence why you need to get a ton of top talent to justify trading people like Sale / Q. They are going to be here for 3 / 4 years and we are able to get that value over that span (knowing they are already the best at their respective positions in the game (i.e., top 10-15). It is why this "surplus" value of minor league talent is so absurdly overrated.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
Why??? Their teams are all in good position to make the playoffs. If they are not willing to pay out what Hahn is asking, they are still in good shape. They not only have their team in the playoff hunt, they all have several outstanding prospects in their farm system as well. That is the job of a GM. Success in the majors and talent in the minors. We have neither right now.

I'm talking about just the trade deadline. Sure they are in better spots than us as a team but the "what if" someone else gets Sale is what they are sweating and may push their chips in if they fear the worst. Hahn just needs to wait.

That being said, Hahn needs to offload DRob and Melky at a minimum.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
Not to put words in your mouth, but I think my follow-on post to yours probably summed your line of thinking up. We said we are mediocre, now we expect to see some action today and more in the off-season. Do not be the same team starting next season. In no way were you saying you had to move Q or Sale or you'd be pissed, you simply said, you need to start that process now (that means moving Robertson, Shields, etc) and then continuing that effort in the off-season (and even then, it doesn't mean you necessarily move both Sale & Q, but you need to move one of them before the start of next season to truly shift the balance / change the philosphy).

Whether it works, who knows, but when the current path is mediocrity and you've publicly indicated it, then you need to do different. That could be spending $1B on payroll too (and go the opposite direction) but they need to change things up because the current status isn't working (if you listen to what Hahn has said).

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

If this team is mediocre, and you make no moves, do we not still have a mediocre team? If nothing is done, how much more could we possibly add next season to make any reasonable change? Not much would be my guess, aren't we pretty much at the payroll limit?

Why did we just trade Duke if we are still looking to compete next season?

I have no answer to these questions because all I know is we have a mediocre team, acknowledged by our General Manager, and done nothing to show we are trying to change that

QUOTE (heirdog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
I'm talking about just the trade deadline. Sure they are in better spots than us as a team but the "what if" someone else gets Sale is what they are sweating and may push their chips in if they fear the worst. Hahn just needs to wait.

That being said, Hahn needs to offload DRob and Melky at a minimum.

I don't get the feeling Melky is going anywhere (haven't seen his name mentioned in the slightest).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
This is further evidence why you need to get a ton of top talent to justify trading people like Sale / Q. They are going to be here for 3 / 4 years and we are able to get that value over that span (knowing they are already the best at their respective positions in the game (i.e., top 10-15). It is why this "surplus" value of minor league talent is so absurdly overrated.

I agree that prospects are a gamble. But Sale/Q have already been here for 3/4 (healthy) years and what do we have to show for it??? So maybe we need to move one or both next winter for established ML players and see if that works.

Edited by SCCWS