2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

3 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Re: Madrigal, using the grades from Fangraphs and the scale Kiley put out explaining grades, they're basically saying they think he'll be a .300ish hitter with an .800-.850 OPS, 20-20 potential, and gold glove caliber defense at 2B, which could be above average or plus at SS and 3B as well. That sounds like a 5 WAR player to me.

Sounds like DJ LaMaheiu to me.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/mlb/article212362854.html

Madrigal talks draft, idols, OSU baseball

Blueprint of a baseball player’: Elk Grove's Nick Madrigal is an inch from MLB history

BY JOE DAVIDSON

jdavidson@sacbee.com

June 01, 2018 09:53 PM

CORVALIS, ORE. 

Mike Parker is in his 20th season calling baseball on the radio for Oregon State, and he's asking listeners to bare witness to something special.

"I’ve been saying on the broadcasts to savor these last games, because we won't see a guy like Nick again," Parker said. "I’m starting to miss him already."

That would be Nick Madrigal, slight of built and immeasurably titanic in this sport otherwise. 

The second baseman out of Elk Grove High School is at the forefront of the Beavers' College World Series hopes and is projected as a top-five pick in Monday's Major League Baseball draft. If he goes in the top six picks, Madrigal would be the highest drafted regional player in any of the major sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL).

And, depending on whom you believe, he would either be the shortest player picked that highly since the June draft began in 1965, or an inch from the record. Oregon State lists him as 5-foot-8; his father says he's 5-7. Mike Madrigal, after all, was there for his son's premature birth 21 years ago, when Nick arrived at just under 4 pounds alongside his slightly heavier twin, Ty. 

"Nick's been small his whole life, but that has never ever slowed him down," Mike Madrigal said. "He was so small at birth, I could put the twins in the palm of each hand. As soon as Nick was old enough to walk and hold a Wiffle ball bat, he did. He'd rather do that than ride a bike."

Madrigal will be in Corvallis on draft day, on a couch, if not in the OSU batting cages, where he often winds up even after a three-hour practice. He will be in the rented house he shares with scores of teammates located barely a relay throw from campus. Family and friends will pack in, but no media, despite inquiries from across the country. 

placeholder.pngM

This is typical of Madrigal's low-key nature. 

"Genuine class and humility is what I think when it comes to Nick Madrigal," Parker said, poring over game notes and looking out from the Goss Stadium press box, eyeing the prized infielder.

OSU coach Pat Casey is also big on his leader, a three-year rock of reliability in the field, in the lineup and as an example of never being satisfied. The Beavers have one captain this season: Madrigal, which speaks of his team-wide reputation. Madrigal is batting .395 with 27 RBIs despite missing 26 games with a hand injury. He has struck out just five times in 119 at-bats. 

"He's unbelievable," Casey said. "He's going to be a big leaguer in a short period of time. He's going to play the game for a long time. His instincts are off the charts. I give him a ton of freedom because he's a thoroughbred and you've got to turn him loose. 

"Who ever drafts him will get an absolute jewel of a player. If you had a blueprint of a baseball player, Nick's picture would be there. That's all you'd need – Nick."

Casey said Madrigal's skills trump any question of size. MLB evaluators suggest the same thing.

"Size isn't a problem because the kid can flat-out play," said a National League scout who requested anonymity.

According to Baseball Reference's records back to 1965, the only middle infielder drafted in the first round at 5-8 or shorter was Joey Cora, who at 5-7 went 23rd overall to San Diego in 1995.

Further proof that players can perform regardless of height: Dustin Pedroia at 5-9 won the A.L. MVP in 2008 (and The Bee's 2001 Player of the Year award at Woodland High). Jose Altuve of the Astros and Ozzie Albies of the Braves have also enjoyed MLB success at 5-8 or shorter.

These players worked their way up from their roots in the Sacramento area to play in the majors. Here's a look at who is where on MLB rosters for the 2018 season. Photos by The Associated Press. Angel Guerrero

"Just a driven kid. He knows what he wants," Mike Madrigal said. "At age 8, 10, 12, 13, he knew what he wanted to be. His brother Ty wanted to be a fireman (and is a pitcher at Saint Mary's now). Nick wanted to be a ballplayer. Scouts tell me he's compared to Altuve. He's going to be a big leaguer. Wow."

Baseball executives have picked his brain on his son, he said. What makes him tick, and just how competitive is he?

"One asked me who won in ping pong between me and Nick," Mike Madrigal said from the OSU stadium seats. "I took a deep breath and told the truth: Nick. My son's paddle was broken, ball ruined, and that's how competitive he is."

After a recent series against UCLA, Nick Madrigal reflected on how far he's come. He admits the draft is on his mind, especially given the media attention, but he still refers to it as, "If I'm fortunate enough to get drafted."

"I remember sitting in a room as a little kid, watching baseball, and I just knew that's what I wanted to do with my life," he said. "Some people wish and hope but I set goals and I try to hold myself to them. I'll never stop working."

Madrigal counts Jake Rodriguez, a former Elk Grove High and OSU standout, as one of his role models. He was inspired by Rodriguez's ability to handle pressure situations and how seriously he took the sport.

Now on the OSU coaching staff, Rodriguez heaps praise on the pupil.

"He's by far the best player and person I have been around," said Rodriguez, an All-Pac-12 honorable mention catcher/infielder in 2012. "He is the ultimate teammate and handles success and failure with the utmost class. His play on the field speaks for itself. He has the best baseball IQ I’ve seen from a player in my time as a ballplayer and coach."

Rodriguez added, "What's so special about Nick is his willingness to treat everyone with dignity and respect. He will sign every autograph and take every picture."

Mike Madrigal could have envisioned a lot of autograph signings ahead for his son after he received his first scholarship offer. It was from OSU well before Madrigal played an inning of high school baseball.

"We thought, 'An offer in eighth grade? You kidding? This is unreal.' Then I started to think, what is this? Is Nick going to be another LeBron James or Bryce Harper?' You have to catch yourself. He's not one of them," he said. "He's just going to be the best Nick he can be."

Nick said they were unsure of how to handle the early offer, but that he wouldn't change a thing.

"It was unheard of and it was a surprise to get that offer," he said. "But once I visited here, I fell in love with the program. It's all worked out perfectly – everything."

Edited by caulfield12

34 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Has anyone else have a feeling Madrigal is who the Sox want, but it will be a Benintendi scenario all over again?. . . One pick “short.”

Sorta. I know for the White Sox we talk about how you just draft BPA but the Phillies really do have a lot of Madrigal-profile or low power guys. 

53 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Has anyone else have a feeling Madrigal is who the Sox want, but it will be a Benintendi scenario all over again?. . . One pick “short.”

Same draft, but I’m far more worried we pull a Fulmer with our Happ right there for the taking.  I continue to have a bad feeling that we’ll have our choice of Madrigal & Singer, go with the pitcher, and the Reds immediately take Nick at #5 and together they live happily ever after.

Speaking of the 2015 draft, I’m not sure there is better evidence to go position player when picking early:

1. Dansby Swanson
  2. Alex Bregman
  3. Brendan Rodgers
  4. Dillon Tate
  5. Kyle Tucker
  6. Tyler Jay
  7. Andrew Benintendi
  8. Carson Fulmer
  9. Ian Happ

I know it’s one draft, but every team that picked a position player is happy right now (maybe not Arizona lol) and those that picked pitchers are probably filled with great regret.  I get the top guys in this draft might not be of the same caliber overall, but I still feel there is far more certainty with Madrigal & Bohm than a second tier pitcher like Singer.  Pitching is just too risky to take that high unless it’s of the elite variety.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Same draft, but I’m far more worried we pull a Fulmer with our Happ right there for the taking.  I continue to have a bad feeling that we’ll have our choice of Madrigal & Singer, go with the pitcher, and the Reds immediately take Nick at #5 and together they live happily ever after.

Speaking of the 2015 draft, I’m not sure there is better evidence to go position player when picking early:

1. Dansby Swanson
  2. Alex Bregman
  3. Brendan Rodgers
  4. Dillon Tate
  5. Kyle Tucker
  6. Tyler Jay
  7. Andrew Benintendi
  8. Carson Fulmer
  9. Ian Happ

I know it’s one draft, but every team that picked a position player is happy right now (maybe not Arizona lol) and those that picked pitchers are probably filled with great regret.  I get the top guys in this draft might not be of the same caliber overall, but I still feel there is far more certainty with Madrigal & Bohm than a second tier pitcher like Singer.  Pitching is just too risky to take that high unless it’s of the elite variety.

I cringe when I see #8 on that list. Especially when the 24th pick was Walker Buehler. I’m starting to get a bad feeling about tomorrow.

4. Chicago White Sox: Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State
This could unfold a number of ways, but I think the Chicago White Soxare so enamored with Madrigal’s hit tool that they take him off the board at No. 4.

Singer, Bart, South Alabama center fielder Travis Swaggerty and Wisconsin prep outfielder Jarred Kelenic are all in the mix here.

5. Cincinnati Reds: Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
The Cincinnati Reds love Singer, so they get lucky that he falls this far. He entered the year as the consensus top player in the draft but faltered a bit early on.

If Bart somehow drops out of the top four, he could be the pick, as could Madrigal.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/05/30/2018-mlb-mock-draft-college-players-fly-off-the-board-early/

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

4. Chicago White Sox: Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State
This could unfold a number of ways, but I think the Chicago White Soxare so enamored with Madrigal’s hit tool that they take him off the board at No. 4.

Singer, Bart, South Alabama center fielder Travis Swaggerty and Wisconsin prep outfielder Jarred Kelenic are all in the mix here.

5. Cincinnati Reds: Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
The Cincinnati Reds love Singer, so they get lucky that he falls this far. He entered the year as the consensus top player in the draft but faltered a bit early on.

If Bart somehow drops out of the top four, he could be the pick, as could Madrigal.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/05/30/2018-mlb-mock-draft-college-players-fly-off-the-board-early/

Singer situation sounds a lot lime how the Sox got Rodon. #1 before the season but some issues during the season to allow him to drop.

I realize that the shortcomings of Giolito and  Fulmer and the injuries to Burdi (and to a lesser extent Hansen) have created more of a void in pitching than it appeared 6 months ago, but we still have a lot of RHP with Lopez, cease, dunning, stephens etc - also it’s so much easier to but 2-3 years of a quality arm on the market than it is a middle infielder. I think they have to go with Madrigal if he’s there - I think the bat plays. That said, I’m not as low on Singer as most and if Madrigal is gone I’d be ok with singer over any of the other position players in this draft - tho would still prolly prefer Bohm 

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Singer situation sounds a lot lime how the Sox got Rodon. #1 before the season but some issues during the season to allow him to drop.

The situation is somewhat similar, although I think Rodon was a far superior prospect than Singer ever was.  And even without those issues, Mize would have passed Singer as the premier prospect in the draft. 

8 minutes ago, daa84 said:

I realize that the shortcomings of Giolito and  Fulmer and the injuries to Burdi (and to a lesser extent Hansen) have created more of a void in pitching than it appeared 6 months ago, but we still have a lot of RHP with Lopez, cease, dunning, stephens etc - also it’s so much easier to but 2-3 years of a quality arm on the market than it is a middle infielder. I think they have to go with Madrigal if he’s there - I think the bat plays. That said, I’m not as low on Singer as most and if Madrigal is gone I’d be ok with singer over any of the other position players in this draft - tho would still prolly prefer Bohm 

Always take the BPA early in the draft.  If we need a starting pitching in 2020, we can either go out and sign one or use some of our prospect currency to acquire one.

https://www.mlb.com/news/scouting-director-nick-hostetler-talks-draft/c-279382556

Have a feeling that Tuesday our Sox will be taking a good amount of HS arms (3-4), be interesting to see, I think anytime a HSer is picked it's noteworthy 

Would really like Madrigal/Singer and Hjelle/Beer in the second round but am expecting Griffin Roberts (starter or reliever? Would no doubt relieve this year but long term? I say reliever), especially if Madrigal goes 4, maybe they pounce on Schnell if he's there

Would like some HS arms afterwards and I think Hahn would as he said months ago he'd like to bring in HS talent that needs more time to develop/stay in farm longer, also said that's the deepest position so we'll see

Some Louisville names to remember: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/06/03/louisville-baseballs-2018-mlb-draft-prospects/667132002/
Wolf and Bordner definetely would be nice additions

Another guy who will go Day 2 is UCF closer Bryce Tucker who I love

Happy Draft y'all

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The situation is somewhat similar, although I think Rodon was a far superior prospect than Singer ever was.  And even without those issues, Mize would have passed Singer as the premier prospect in the draft. 

Rodon was most definitely the superior prospect, hell I even think Fulmer coming out was superior to Singer, but to me Singer is the best P in the class this year

27 minutes ago, daa84 said:

Don't forget Kopech