Rangers have increased pursuit of Q?

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 06:21 PM)
What'd he say?

1) He's hearing a lot of mixed messages - one of the teams in the bidding thinks it won't happen until the trade deadline.

2) He doesn't buy that because he thinks waiting would greatly affect the Sox ability to tank this year.

3) He's heard that talks with the Astros have picked back up.

He clearly didn't know of anything imminent - but in conjunction with the Nightengale leak it seems like the Sox are making a push to get something done before Spring Training.

Edit: sorry for the double post you beat me to it!

Edited by Username

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Phil said he talked to someone close to talks that thought they'd wait until trade deadline. Then he said he doesn't buy that. He said Sox and Astros have re-started talks. He specifically brought up Seth Beer. He said Sox want to be really bad and in a position for very high pick in 2018 and that Quintana being on the roster in the 1st half hurts those chances so he thinks they want to move him. He also mentioned that the Astros have the 75th pick that they can trade now.

All that Beer s*** sure is nice... hope it's true.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
If we trade Q before Spring Training or Opening Day, I'm referring to the the 2017 season as "The Beerathon."

I approve of this and happily volunteer to make an open use signature. If Q goes the sig will be made.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
It's a nice thought that the 75th pick is eligible to be moved, but that seems too low to get excited about being part of a trade with Houston for Q.

No it doesn't. It's a great 4th piece. I'd rather give Hostetler the 800k to move around than a flyer like Victor Diaz.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 06:27 PM)
Hostetler specifically mentioned Beer at SoxFest and said they've had scouting reports on him since he was 14. I wouldn't downplay their interest in him.

I don't think anyone doubts the interest. The problem is that Beer certainly seems like the 1-1 pick (barring a sub-par season), the Sox don't seem like the worst team in baseball right now. Bad, yes. The worst? I wouldn't think so. Even without Q, there are worse teams.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 06:35 PM)
I don't think anyone doubts the interest. The problem is that Beer certainly seems like the 1-1 pick (barring a sub-par season), the Sox don't seem like the worst team in baseball right now. Bad, yes. The worst? I wouldn't think so. Even without Q, there are worse teams.

No Q puts them in top 3 pick territory. There are 2 HS guys that are very highly regarded as well.

The Sox tanking the '17 season to be in position to draft Beer ( ha ha ) in '18 makes much more sense of the JAMES SHIELDS trade. Sheer genius! A healthy JAMES SHIELDS could easily give the Sox a -10 WUR ( Wins Under Replacement) which should translate to 20 losses easily. This means that JAMES SHIELDS is the Sox Harry Potter in their quest for Beer! f***-An-A!!!

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
No Q puts them in top 3 pick territory. There are 2 HS guys that are very highly regarded as well.

I think with Q gone this team is easily bottom three and legit threat for the #1 pick.

The rotation for the first few months would be Rodon, Gonzalez, Shields, Holland, & a filler like Covey. That's an absolutely horrific rotation. And even if guys like Giolito, Lopez, & Fulmer were productive when called up, the offense & bullpen should see some important players traded away as the season progresses. This team will be bad no matter what, but I really think trading Quintana exponentially improves our chances of landing a potential future superstar like Beer in the draft.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
The Sox tanking the '17 season to be in position to draft Beer ( ha ha ) in '18 makes much more sense of the JAMES SHIELDS trade. Sheer genius! A healthy JAMES SHIELDS could easily give the Sox a -10 WUR ( Wins Under Replacement) which should translate to 20 losses easily. This means that JAMES SHIELDS is the Sox Harry Potter in their quest for Beer! f***-An-A!!!

Luken Baker is an excellent 2018 draft prospect as well

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 06:27 PM)
Hostetler specifically mentioned Beer at SoxFest and said they've had scouting reports on him since he was 14. I wouldn't downplay their interest in him.

To clarify, he was specifically asked about Beer, he didn't bring him up out of blue.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 06:35 PM)

The Sox benefit from the NL having more of a race to the bottom - only the A's seem to also be in a no-compete mode in the AL.

If Hahn gets rid of Q, Frazier and Robertson they'll be a 1-1 contender.

Also worth noting, the Sox have acquired two pre-season favorite 1-1s in Rodon and Hansen over the past few years without the first pick.