Luis Robert signing official

southsider2k5

Well I worked all day and hardly gave this a thought until my ride home. I was hoping to see he had signed with someone at least. Seeing it was the Sox of course made it even better.

Whatever affiliate he starts with I'd assume he will start slow since he hasn't been playing but if by chance he starts hot I'd be impressed . Here's hoping he is too good for where ever he begins.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 20, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
Sam Goodie! Yes, that takes me back. Saw Megadeath in 00' with the Crue at the world theatre. Mustaine opened the set with Dawn Patrol and I went nuts. Bad ass way to start a show. You know, we should take this to the music thread before we get a talking to, lol.

Where is the music thread haha?

Also to get back on track completely stocked with this signing. Made me procrastinating my paper all day completely worth it. He signed as soon as I started playing hole 4 at the local par 3. Made sucking at golf even more enjoyable haha

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 20, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
Congrats to the front office for making this happen, money be dammed. Another potential building-block piece.

Well done!

Well said, Kudos to our front office and to Jerry Reinsdorf for re-investing the money saved from salary dumps in to signing this guy. This can only make us all the more excited about this rebuild.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ May 20, 2017 -> 10:02 PM)
Who is Robert's MLB comp?

From Bleacher Report: "He's like Yasiel Puig, Gurriel said, but with better ability to play center field. He's like Adam Jones or Mike Cameron, scouts said, except with a bigger, stronger body at a young age. He's Jorge Soler but with better speed and a lesser arm."

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 20, 2017 -> 09:45 PM)
From Bleacher Report: "He's like Yasiel Puig, Gurriel said, but with better ability to play center field. He's like Adam Jones or Mike Cameron, scouts said, except with a bigger, stronger body at a young age. He's Jorge Soler but with better speed and a lesser arm."

Alex Rios with better speed...Mike Cameron, Devon White or Eric Davis.

Totally different body type than Soler and Puig.

Another pretty interesting thought from a Cards board (gatewayredbirds)

I know it's the internet so it's important to be a smart ass instead of actually discussing, but let's take a look at some things.

Outsiders know two things about St. Louis right now. The Arch and Ferguson. If you know baseball you know the Cardinals and you might know the Rams left.

Meanwhile in Chicago you have a world class city. Literally one of the worlds great centers of population.

This isn't just about baseball players though, I go back to a few years ago when my late gf's company was looking for a new world HQ. The finalists were Chicago and St. Louis, but really St. Louis was never in the running, they were just using it to leverage tax breaks in Chicago. No one was pushing for St. Louis because if you are rich, which all the execs were you wanted to live in world class Chicago. It's not hard to imagine baseball players thinking the same.

A few years ago St. Louis as a baseball town had a mystique. One of the best players in the game was here, one of the best managers ever, and the organization was on fire. Flash forward and while the team still wins, sorta, the great player and manager have long found homes elsewhere. There have been rumblings of something amiss at the top and that players of a certain color do not feel welcome here. That may be not true, but the rumors are there. All that's left is this wholesome best fans image that's been eroded by the media and some not so best fans.

It's not at all out of the realm of possibility that any player looking at the two cities would not want to make St. Louis home.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but if it comes out that the Cards did in fact put in the better offer it certainly seems like those factors could be true.

Someone else mentioned state tax rates in Missouri and Illinois...

Edited by caulfield12

The Cardinals' bonus offer was among the most lucrative, but it was not believed to be the highest. A source indicated to MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez that the White Sox will pay Robert a bonus of about $26 million to $27 million to add him to their system. That would represent the second-highest bonus for an international amateur under the current signing guidelines.

For the Cardinals, the bidding process was complicated by the fact that they would have paid a dollar-to-dollar tax on any bonus to Robert. The organization incurred that penalty because it had already overspent its limit in this current international signing period.

That means that to have matched the White Sox reported offer, it would have cost the Cardinals $52 million to $54 million.

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article/23...of-luis-robert/

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
The kid is 19 coming from a communist country guarantee tax rates were not a top consideration.

Yes, and now I have a few guys I sort of know who play in the one place, and have told me that this place treats people from my home very well.

Why does that not seem like a completely logical reason to choose one place over another?

Ferguson/Michael Brown and some of the stories about how African-American players were treated in that city (Heyward would be one) probably didn't help (along with a few well publicized "racist" incidents caught on video near the stadium before or after a game)...nevertheless, the revised storyline is coming back to the White Sox being the highest bidder.

Not to mention Mike Matheny is kind of a cocky jerk that never smiles, and Mozeliak is a Boy Scout...fans joke that Fowler was brought on board just to get Matheny to loosen up a bit and not take himself so seriously.

While Hahn can be plain vanilla, Renteria has a warmer, winning personality and the Spanish language skills to make him feel more comfortable. Finally, Ted Drewe's, IMO's, Grant's Farm and Six Flags can't touch Chicago.

They do have a better announcer in John Rooney, haha.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 21, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
Yes, and now I have a few guys I sort of know who play in the one place, and have told me that this place treats people from my home very well.

Why does that not seem like a completely logical reason to choose one place over another?

Again it goes back to the Sox having an excellent case to make on the field. And for a guy who probably had nothing in his life, does the difference between $25 and $30 million really register?