DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:37 PM)
Not the sexy draft picks some might say, but burger and sheets both help to fill gaps that this organization currently did not have.

Power hitting 3B prospect and a left handed dh/1b prospect with power.

Both have seen the ability to draw walks and neither strikes or a ton (for now). In what appears to be a fairly weak draft these could become important depth for the organization at positions that were pretty barren.

I prefer the best player available approach versus reaching for need and position. No one knows which players will succeed, which will flame out. If you end up with surplus in one position, you can use it to fill holes in others.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:54 PM)
And corned beef from Manny's Deli

Potential everybody reaches their ceiling team in a few years...

C Collins

3b burger

Ss Anderson

2b moncada

1b sheets

Of Robert

Of Basabe

Of Garcia

DH abreu

At ceiling that team would theoretically mash offensively

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)
Potential everybody races their ceiling team in a few years...

3b burger

Ss Anderson

2b moncada

1b sheets

Of Robert

Of Basabe

Of Garcia

DH abreu

At crippling that team would theoretically mash offensively

Where is Collins?

Here's something to note....

Eric Longenhagen said on a podcast back in May that he thinks a big theme this year will be teams that draft college players on teams that use Trackman, highly advanced data metrics that track a huge amount of data points in a swing or pitching motion.

Jake Burger and Gavin Sheets? Both on teams that use Trackman data.

I'll fully admit I don't like drafting for need, but our system desperately needs positional talent. I check our minor league box scores every day and there's not even one interesting guy in AA and basically only two guys in high A of note. Adding Robert, Burger, & Sheets will definitely help. Those guys should all start in high A next year along with Adolfo and perhaps Fisher or Basabe. We should also start seeing some of our recent Latin America sigings like Nunez hit low A next year. If we can add a few more positional prospects at the trade deadline or during the offseason, our 2018 rosters will look much better than our 2017 ones.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 11:39 PM)
Here's something to note....

Eric Longenhagen said on a podcast back in May that he thinks a big theme this year will be teams that draft college players on teams that use Trackman, highly advanced data metrics that track a huge amount of data points in a swing or pitching motion.

Jake Burger and Gavin Sheets? Both on teams that use Trackman data.

In fact, I am watching the Longenhagen live draft chat today, and he said despite not liking Burger much, he and Brent Rooker ranked at the top of the charts for Trackman's avg. exit velo for college hitters. So Burger hits the ball harder on average than anyone in college.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)
Lillian will be happy.

ABSOLUTELY!! I'm especially pleased at the underlying philosophy. You can imagine my reaction to this quote from Hostetler:

"We needed power, especially left-handed power," said Hostetler, before preparing for Day 2 of the Draft. "When you look at the pieces [general manager] Rick [Hahn] brought in through trade and what we did last year in the Draft, the middle of the order bats were important for us."

Edited by Lillian

http://pinstripedprospects.com/draft-prosp...in-sheets-21897

Scouting report on Sheets from Yankees' site.

Best comp so far is probably Lucas Duda. Interestingly, his Wake Forest teammate from last year, Will Craig, drew a lot of comparisons with Burger as hitters and for their "unconventional" bodies.

Along with Fisher and Call, you're now seeing an about face in philosophy, at least with hitting prospects.

Edited by caulfield12

So where do the sox go from here? next pick is at 87 followed by 117.

I would love to see them snag Luis Gonzalez at 87 [mlb.com has him as the 106 prospect] a left handed hitting CF, his profile just screams this new philosophy and he has been comped to Ender Inciarte. He put up this line in the MWC .361/.500/.589 - 1089 and has more walks(58 20%) than strike outs(32 11%). Klaw also had him as the last pick in the first round in one of his recent mock drafts.

with the savings from the first three picks i would use that money to go after the best prep arm remaining on the board at 117.

11. Chicago White Sox

As the Luis Robert signing showed, the White Sox are committed to building a major league roster with homegrown players, even if they have to pay a premium for them. It’s worth wondering what this pick would have looked like without bonus pools and slot suggestions.

This is a pick that can live up to the hype, though, and the White Sox bought in. The strategy is simple: Get the best possible player first, worry exactly where he’s going to fit second. It’s a fine tradition in the draft, and there’s no reason for the White Sox to veer away from it.

Grade: B+

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/12/15727198...erious-analysis

Edited by caulfield12

Finally got a chance to dig into Sheets a bit and boy do I love what I'm seeing. That kids swing is a thing a beauty. Really would enjoy watching him get 500abs for 6 years and hope he pans out.