Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

Also, consider the GM's Hahn is working with. Cashman is still the longest tenured GM in the game and simply does not lose deals. He has no issues with missing out on a guy because he can always find another, and always has been able to. Theo has been one of the most aggressive GMs in his career, but he's skilled at picking up players at their lowest value and maximizing that, thus allowing him to spend excessively otherwise. Rizzo is just weird.

Cashman is a tough mofo to deal with. I'm not upset, but won't necessarily say I'm happy. Will have to let it sink in.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:28 PM)
Don't disagree that Kahnle as the potential to net you more than what it looks like the Sox will get in this deal, but I actually think his value would have been higher next year's deadline. Had he kept up his current performance the rest of this year and the first half of next year he would then elevate into more elite reliever deals we've seen recently, even if it was with one less year of team control. I think it's worth it to get ~85% of his potential value now rather than having him get hurt or turn into a pumpkin.

Fair enough. Yea this deal all depends on which side of the pumpkin you're on.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:29 PM)
Dang I didn't realize there was a 100% chance that we just traded away a prime Miller/Jenks/Thorton/Contreras and there's absolutely no possibility a guy with a 50 inning track record could end up being nothing 2 years from now. Damn you Hahhhhhnnnnnnnn

Thanks for your input.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:30 PM)
After the trade Swarzak, that will just about do it for potentially interesting trades for a while. Next up, 2018 draft.

Melky could possibly get a halfway interesting lotto ticket

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:20 PM)
I think it's a touch light.

I thought D Rob was a 70-100 guy plus a fringe; Same with Kahnle.

so instead it would be 1 30-50 guy and 2 fringes;

So nothing for Frazier (although I guess it could be Frazier for Clippard, but that wouldn't be in the Sox interests). They will have a low payroll next year - they should be able to eat some money.

look at what a's got for doolittle and madson. miracle we got anything good

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 04:29 AM)
Link me. I found this from earlier:

“Two guys I know who scouted the Appalachian League thought he was the best hitter there, just in terms of pure hitting prowess and projection,” Law said during a conference call Monday. “There was concern about that he’s a 19-year-old coming out of high school — the history of those guys is not great — [but] this guy’s a pretty exceptional hitter.

“He’s gonna hit for average and he’s gonna hit for power. He’s clearly a corner outfielder to me. I’d probably put him in right, it’s possible he ends up in left just because you might have someone with a little more range at some point. I think he’s gonna hit for very high averages. I was aggressive in the ranking. I thought he was a top-five player at the draft. He went to an advanced league for someone right out of high school, performed well and impressed the scouts that saw him.”

Was in his most recent chat talking about what scouts have told him

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:30 PM)
After the trade Swarzak, that will just about do it for potentially interesting trades for a while. Next up, 2018 draft.

Couple things

-Interested to see what kind of prospect Melky brings. Guessing a high velocity pitcher with mediocre secondary pitches

-Interested to see if there's anything about Avisail.

-

yeah, that's about it. There are guys that need to go or eat innings, and they may as well be waiver trades, so yeah, you're right. Hopefully Moncada is the call.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
Also, consider the GM's Hahn is working with. Cashman is still the longest tenured GM in the game and simply does not lose deals. He has no issues with missing out on a guy because he can always find another, and always has been able to. Theo has been one of the most aggressive GMs in his career, but he's skilled at picking up players at their lowest value and maximizing that, thus allowing him to spend excessively otherwise. Rizzo is just weird.

Cashman is a tough mofo to deal with. I'm not upset, but won't necessarily say I'm happy. Will have to let it sink in.

Contreras for Loaiza?

Not protecting Q?

Two pretty significant mistakes.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)
We just acquired another top 50 OF prospect, I think this signals Avi is as good as gone.

But all three of our top 50 OF prospects are at least two years away. I say sign Avi to a 2 year deal and use him as trade bait in a year or two if he is still doing well

We just acquired another top 50 OF prospect, I think this signals Avi is as good as gone.

None of the OF prospects are going to be in Chicago for a while. There's no rush on moving Avi.

I'd just keep Avi at this point unless you get blown away (which I doubt). If he somehow figured it out you can trade him at next years deadline for a bigger haul.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:27 PM)
Let's not forget how much money we're saving on Robertson's deal that had zero value to the Sox.

That $20 million or so can be put to a lot of productive uses.

Clippard gets hot and we can turn around and flip him with Swarzak/Jennings or Leury/Saladino/Yolmer to complete a bench for a playoff team.

How would they use that, though? It's not like they can go bust through J2 limits next year or spend a bunch signing guys way overslot like the old J2 and draft days. Best they can do is either 1) allocate it to a bunch of rentals you hope you flip at the deadline or 2) bank it for Machado.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 08:33 PM)

I don't think we are anywhere near being forced to make that decision.

They are all a long ways away.