Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
Until this year he looked like he was in a steady decline. This year he suddenly turned back around, prior to that he looked like he'd be finished as a hitter before this contract. 2016 wasn't just bad luck, he was a seriously worse hitter. I'm ok blaming that on injury and saying he hits when he's healthy, but that means he had a first half long nagging injury.

Wasn’t he also dealing with personal issues involving his family? Didn’t his season take off after seeing his son?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
Until this year he looked like he was in a steady decline. This year he suddenly turned back around, prior to that he looked like he'd be finished as a hitter before this contract. 2016 wasn't just bad luck, he was a seriously worse hitter. I'm ok blaming that on injury and saying he hits when he's healthy, but that means he had a first half long nagging injury.

He wasn’t injured he was waiting for his son. And his course corrected, there was no decline it was an early season slump. But go ahead and make up an injury if it makes your Miggy comparison work for you

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Just because he plays a lot doesn't mean he's not injured.... he has played through lots that other players would take games off for, sometimes for weeks at a time.

There is “hurt” and there is “injured”. Players that are hurt play through it, players that are injured normally do not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)
Dude, Age 33-34 Miguel Cabrera had his OPS decline by .228. That name should scare you as much as Encarnacion gives you hope.

Cruz, I will not count him as being on a normal aging curve since we know he juiced for some time. JD Martinez is younger than Abreu I believe.

But we're not talking about $300mm. It's not scary when it's $20mm for a bad year or two at the end.

Abreu is the third best hitter on the market. There are several teams that just need some pop.

The next tier is these Royals hitters...they had good synergy together, but none stands out by himself.

Sox will get some good offers for him. Good enough? No idea really, but I'd guess yes.

Edited by GreenSox

I still say you guys are wasting a lot of breath here. It's pretty obvious to me we'll be trading Abreu this offseason. Get used to the idea. It's happening IMO. In fact it seems like a front office no brainer considering what they've been doing and hinting as well. I fully expect him to be traded. Avi as well. After those two are dealt, the deals are done and it will be Hahn's baby completely. He'll be in full tank mode for 2 more seasons, 2018 and 2019 and then it will be time to win. He still might keep his job regardless of if we win the division in 2020 or not considering all the $$ he'll have saved the owners with attendance remaining pretty darn high. Plus don't forget he'll have a high draft pick next June as well as June of 2019 and 2020. That's three more top 5-15 draft picks. Our fans seem to be into this rebuild thing.

I will say Rick Renteria had the boys playing very hard the last six weeks or so and if they continue to play hard that's probably all we can ask til 2020.

GO SOX!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 10:04 PM)
I still say you guys are wasting a lot of breath here. It's pretty obvious to me we'll be trading Abreu this offseason. Get used to the idea. It's happening IMO. In fact it seems like a front office no brainer considering what they've been doing and hinting as well. I fully expect him to be traded. Avi as well. After those two are dealt, the deals are done and it will be Hahn's baby completely. He'll be in full tank mode for 2 more seasons, 2018 and 2019 and then it will be time to win. He still might keep his job regardless of if we win the division in 2020 or not considering all the $$ he'll have saved the owners with attendance remaining pretty darn high. Plus don't forget he'll have a high draft pick next June as well as June of 2019 and 2020. That's three more top 5-15 draft picks. Our fans seem to be into this rebuild thing.

I will say Rick Renteria had the boys playing very hard the last six weeks or so and if they continue to play hard that's probably all we can ask til 2020.

GO SOX!

It seems obvious to you that they're going to trade Abreu based on Hahn saying they're not going to trade him unless they get the right offer and others saying the asking price is far too high. How did you come to that conclusion given that information?

It does feel like posturing before next week a bit.

I wonder if the biggest prospect we could get is Rodgers in Colorado with the thought being he could be 3b for the next decade.

Abreu and Avi and take on that Desmond deal.

What does that unlock? Rodgers, Pint +?

That's a lot for cashing our last chips in considering our control on abreu and avi is in seasons we arent contenders and they would have a stacked lineup in Colorado with dahl/blackmon/avi/arenado/story/lemahieu/abreu/lucroy if they bring him back

if taking back Desmond nets us two top 50 guys, one in the top 10, I say go for it. you could argue they should also include McMahon and/or more in that hypothetical

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
It does feel like posturing before next week a bit.

I wonder if the biggest prospect we could get is Rodgers in Colorado with the thought being he could be 3b for the next decade.

Abreu and Avi and take on that Desmond deal.

What does that unlock? Rodgers, Pint +?

That's a lot for cashing our last chips in considering our control on abreu and avi is in seasons we arent contenders and they would have a stacked lineup in Colorado with dahl/blackmon/avi/arenado/story/lemahieu/abreu/lucroy if they bring him back

if taking back Desmond nets us two top 50 guys, one in the top 10, I say go for it. you could argue they should also include McMahon and/or more in that hypothetical

I want no part of Desmond and his contract^ We are building a contender here, and Desmond absolutely would run counter to doing so as he is under contract through 2021 (well into our window).

Rodgers + Pint + Desmond + for Abreu and Avi would be a bad trade for the White Sox in my opinion

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 06:31 AM)
It seems obvious to you that they're going to trade Abreu based on Hahn saying they're not going to trade him unless they get the right offer and others saying the asking price is far too high. How did you come to that conclusion given that information?

Dick Allen heard it from the horse's mouth. Plus I feel it's a clean sweep. He gets rid of the final two White Sox players who are worth a s*** and in return the rebuild is complete. He'll add 3 more top five draft picks as well.

Unfortunately we're still going to need some veterans from other teams when it's time to win it all. I doubt all the players he acquired will be good enough to get it done, but maybe they will.

There's no reason to keep Abreu and Avi in this current climate. Although the Twins and Tigers are very weak and it's like we're conceding the division to the Indians and Twins as the rebuild takes hold. Losing Abreu and Avi should guarantee last for 2 more seasons and that means coveted top five draft picks for Hahn and the rebuild.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
Dick Allen heard it from the horse's mouth. Plus I feel it's a clean sweep. He gets rid of the final two White Sox players who are worth a s*** and in return the rebuild is complete. He'll add 3 more top five draft picks as well.

Unfortunately we're still going to need some veterans from other teams when it's time to win it all. I doubt all the players he acquired will be good enough to get it done, but maybe they will.

There's no reason to keep Abreu and Avi in this current climate. Although the Twins and Tigers are very weak and it's like we're conceding the division to the Indians and Twins as the rebuild takes hold. Losing Abreu and Avi should guarantee last for 2 more seasons and that means coveted top five draft picks for Hahn and the rebuild.

So basically just "Rrrrargh, I hate the rebuild" is what led you to that conclusion? That's what I get from this post.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 06:25 PM)
Red Sox still linked to #WhiteSox slugger Jose Abreu, but keep an eye on Cardinals. @scotgregor: https://t.co/zObvTOxJTk

https://twitter.com/dailyherald/status/939661213394280449

Setting up for a bidding war... if we get a blue chip haul in the sale, eaton, or quintana mold - then I'd stomach an Abreu trade. Otherwise, just say, "no way, Jose!"

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
Red Sox still linked to #WhiteSox slugger Jose Abreu, but keep an eye on Cardinals. @scotgregor: https://t.co/zObvTOxJTk

https://twitter.com/dailyherald/status/939661213394280449

Wonder what key piece puts it over the edge for each team?

Boston = Devers

St. Louis = Reyes

Edited by pktmotion

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
...For St. Louis I need Kelly & Flaherty...

Hell, for those two I'd include someone like Sanchez and drive Abreu to St. Louie myself... those two seem to be two of the most "can't miss MLB ready" prospects in the top 100.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 08:39 PM)
So basically just "Rrrrargh, I hate the rebuild" is what led you to that conclusion? That's what I get from this post.

Just give me credit for saying the trade 100 percent would happen after it's completed. Sox are determined to completely gut the roster before finishing the rebuild.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
Just give me credit for saying the trade 100 percent would happen after it's completed. Sox are determined to completely gut the roster before finishing the rebuild.

I love that you never use facts to support your "logic" - it's such an endearing handsome quality, big boy :wub:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 05:57 AM)
I love that you never use facts to support your "logic" - it's such an endearing handsome quality, big boy :wub:

Dick Allen of our board here convinced me Hahn was determined to ship Abreu and Avi. After being convinced of it, it's easy to see why. Like I said it completes the gutting of the roster and the full rebuild is assured.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 10:13 PM)
Dick Allen of our board here convinced me Hahn was determined to ship Abreu and Avi of poop. After being convinced of it, it's easy to see why. Like I said it completes the gutting of the roster and the full rebuild is assured.

Come back to reality and bask in the sunlight of logic and reason. Your heart rate will thank you.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
Come back to reality and bask in the sunlight of logic and reason. Your heart rate will thank you.

What direction is reality from Oz?

It's been scientifically proven that the sunlight of logic and reason is incapable of penetrating the deep, very deep, rabbit hole.

No worries about the heart rate though. Conspiracy rabbits are naturally wound up like a crack head so a high heart rate is the norm. Did you know, conspiracy rabbits are closely related to the headless chicken? Now you know why NASCAR drivers are always wrecking. Makes sense now, doesn't it. :lol: