Welington Castillo to White Sox

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
How does this signing work with the 40 man roster? Are we at 40 now pending non-tendered guys?

This is one of the benefits to not having all of your prospects on the 40, we can cut one of the people we were shocked by leaving on and expose them to waivers without caring.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
We could have fit some of the others on since some will be non-tendered today.

But again, some of those spots may be filled by people that are actually going to be a part of the active roster next year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
But again, some of those spots may be filled by people that are actually going to be a part of the active roster next year.

I still don't like potentially losing some in the Rule 5 draft. We're only talking about the guys who are eligible to be taken, not all prospects.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
Can't hurt, just wonder if he is flipped at deadline or here to win in '19 and beyond

I believe that Collins will be here in 2019. You can have him split starts at C with Castillo and play him at 1B and DH on other days so you can have him in the lineup regularly.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
I believe that Collins will be here in 2019. You can have him split starts at C with Castillo and play him at 1B and DH on other days so you can have him in the lineup regularly.

Definitely doesn't hurt that Castillo hits right handed and Collins left handed. Castillo murders lefties, Collins struggles against them.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
Definitely doesn't hurt that Castillo hits right handed and Collins left handed. Castillo murders lefties, Collins struggles against them.

Yeah and if its going to be one area you're gonna have a platoon, I think catcher's spot would be ideal since catchers sit more regularly anyway. Definitely a big fan of having different handedness behind the plate.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
We could have fit some of the others on since some will be non-tendered today.

yes...still think it was a curious move not protecting Peter and Guerrero, and Polo to a lesser degree.

Pretty sure Alburquerque will be non tendered today, and Hanson and May would have been easy cuts.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
Cool, reasonable deal, reasonable player and will certainly help the young staff. The team option is a nice little cherry on top. Gives the Sox a lot of options come 2020.

Esp considering last two years and available catchers, Castro went for 3 for 24 mill, nearly same deal. Considering Castillos defensive improvements I'd much rather have that same contract with Castillo.

I really like this move for the Sox. I really wanted them to sign Jason Castro last year for his pitch framing abilities, I thought that would be an asset to a rebuilding team with young arms. They seemed to have gotten that guy in Castillo, who has really improved in that department and is a good upgrade offensively over both Smith and Navarez.

I think the tandem of Castillo and Navarez could be something that's pretty solid.

Wow...great signing! MLB article states that Renteria was a big reason he decided to come here also.

Castillo has hit double-digit home runs in four straight seasons, averaging more than 16 a year since 2014, and said playing for Renteria was something that drew him to signing with the White Sox.

"It means a lot for me to play for him again," Castillo said. "I've worked with him. He's a great human being and a great manager. He's a player's manager. I'm excited to have the opportunity to play for him. I'm going to do everything I can to help this team win."