White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
More info coming out, it appears the offers aren't good enough. Surprise.

I'm sure they're getting offers that are good enough but apparently not to them. I assume a team has to be willing to deal at least a top prospect and a few lesser prospects. They're sights are too high if they expect to also get MLB pieces. Contending teams aren't looking to subtract from their roster.

Edited by soxfan2014

Baltimore is just posturing again with the nonsense of they will take Machado off the market. BS. They know they will get less at the deadline and less than that if they have to settle for a comp pick next winter after he signs. Now ( last year would have been optimal )is their best chance of still getting a nice haul for Machado and Baltimore knows it.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
I'd imagine more at the deadline as teams get more desperate to win. or see there window as winning now

I'd have to think more as well but I'm conflicted - but recent players (Darvish and JD Martinez) dealt for half of a season have come with varying prices. JD had his red flags - health and no defense - so I would expect Machado to fetch the Darvish package or more.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
I don't think they'll get less at the deadline. Probably get the same amount if not more.

I agree with this. Probably don’t get less, but getting much more would require a desperate buyer though. I still think they’re better off trading him now and moving some other pieces like Britton, but it doesn’t sound like they want to rebuild.

QUOTE (pablo @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
I'd have to think more as well but I'm conflicted - but recent players (Darvish and JD Martinez) dealt for half of a season have come with varying prices. JD had his red flags - health and no defense - so I would expect Machado to fetch the Darvish package or more.

At least as of right now, how many teams that think they are contenders have obvious holes at 3b/SS? That's knocking some of the market out. The teams that don't have those positions filled don't think that a 1 year player will push them into the playoffs, and most of them are right.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
I agree with this. Probably don’t get less, but getting much more would require a desperate buyer though. I still think they’re better off trading him now and moving some other pieces like Britton, but it doesn’t sound like they want to rebuild.

Angelos is going to turn 89 during the season. I don't think a full rebuild fits his schedule. He's pretty much screwed either way.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
Huge blow for #Orioles as closer Zach Britton suffers ruptured Achilles' tendon in workout, per @Ken_Rosenthal, and expected to likely miss first half of season... maybe forces their hand in dealing Machado or maybe not

Too bad the Cubs didn't trade for him last week.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)

Whoops, looks like they blew that idea. Britton out six months with a ruptured Achilles. The Orioles are a f***ing mess.

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

#Orioles GM Dan Duquette just told @masnRoch regarding Machado trade discussions: “I’m not sure we’re going to focus on that much more after tomorrow.” Things always can change, but O’s clearly not satisfied with offers so far.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

#Orioles GM Dan Duquette just told @masnRoch regarding Machado trade discussions: “I’m not sure we’re going to focus on that much more after tomorrow.” Things always can change, but O’s clearly not satisfied with offers so far.

Aren't satisfied? They want two young pitching prospects controllable for over 4 years for 1 year rental. I'm starting to think the Orioles are a poorly run team. I mean, I guess the best they can do now is wait for the trade deadline and trade him to a desperate team then, but what do they really think they are going to get here?

QUOTE (Scoots @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
Aren't satisfied? They want two young pitching prospects controllable for over 4 years for 1 year rental. I'm starting to think the Orioles are a poorly run team. I mean, I guess the best they can do now is wait for the trade deadline and trade him to a desperate team then, but what do they really think they are going to get here?

They've won more than 80 games five of the last 18 seasons. They refuse to spend money internationally. Ya, they've been poorly run for awhile now.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
Not sure why but have a feeling all these offers were low

Have a feeling Giolito and Adams were all that was offered (hate to lose Gio)

Time for JR and Hahn to work on an offseason pitch

What gives you the "feeling" that Giolito was included? I really doubt that.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)

Baltimore would've jumped on getting Giolito, probably. I'm sure he's better than anything they were offered.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
I don't think they'll get less at the deadline. Probably get the same amount if not more.

Disagree. Teams will get to offer him a QO if acquired before the season and recoup a 1st or 2nd round pick for his services. Not the same at deadline. They are asking for too much.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)

Sox fans would hate that deal. 6 season of control of Giolito for a one year rental is a bad trade.

Oh noes! They are going to "pull him off the market"! What great binary thinking they display over there in Bmore. No s*** nobody is going to offer you much for a rental that probably near 2/3 of clubs can't even come close to resigning. If they are hell bent on trading him then revisit it at the deadline they will have more leverage.

Edited by chitownsportsfan