Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

1 hour ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

We might as well keep this post pinned to the top and just change the year as the calendar turns. This team isn't going to be ready to compete any time soon. I suspect the Sox will be drafting in the top 5 for the next 3 drafts or so. 

Let's say the Sox flirt with 100 losses and are out of the race in May again in 2019 and 2020. How the hell would the franchise still be worth billions in that scenario? The crowds in 2020 will be under 10,000 all year. I guess baseball owners are guaranteed insane profits just cause it's MLB. But if we lose 100 to 110 games next year and 2020, how the hell will any fans associate with the White Sox? Do little kids want to associate with such badness? Will we have any Sox fans in the future or will they all be Cub fans?

34 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Let's say the Sox flirt with 100 losses and are out of the race in May again in 2019 and 2020. How the hell would the franchise still be worth billions in that scenario? The crowds in 2020 will be under 10,000 all year. I guess baseball owners are guaranteed insane profits just cause it's MLB. But if we lose 100 to 110 games next year and 2020, how the hell will any fans associate with the White Sox? Do little kids want to associate with such badness? Will we have any Sox fans in the future or will they all be Cub fans?

Basic accounting and math.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The Sox are on pace to lose 106 games and be NO WHERE CLOSE to a top 2 pick. Royals and Orioles both on pace to lose 115+. That's shocking and sad.

Then there's only one thing to do....lose the whole freaking thing!

• Like 2

I still remain in the minority here hoping the Sox start winning games. I have no idea the talent level in next years draft or how top heavy it is, so I may be wrong in this thought process, but I think we can agree that BAL and KC are going to be pretty much the bottom dwellers for the year. KC has more talent than Baltimore so maybe they start wining a few, but I think we also have more talent and should be playing better as well.

Bottom of the bottom:

KC&BAL

Tier 2:

Sox, Tigers, Miami, NYM, CIN

Tier 3:

PIT, SD, TX, TOR

I think it's unlikely we jump to tier 3, and think it's unlikely anybody from Tier 3 comes down to our level. So you're talking pick 3-7 as a 90% probability or so.

I just don't really care where we land in there. I'd much rather win ballgames actually. You have to start winning these games to start attracting future guys to the team. The Cubs did it with Lester. You see comments from Arenado and Machado about wanting to go somewhere where they can win, etc. At a certain point it's less about the top 5 draft pick and more about winning.

2013: Mark Appel, Kris Bryant, Jon Gray, Kohl Stewart, Clint Frazier, Colin Moran, Trey Ball, Hunter Dozier

noteables after, Tim Anderson, Marco Gonzalez? weak draft)

2014: Brady Aiken, Tyler Kolek, Rodon, Schwarber, Nick Gordon, Alex Jackson, Aaron Nola, Kyle Freeland, Jeff Hoffman

(notables after, Trea Turner, Sean Newcomb, Luke Weaver, Matt Chapman)

2015: Dansby Swanson, Bregman, Brendan Rodgers, Dillon Tate, Kyle Tucker, Tyler Jay, Benintendi, Fulmer, Happ

(Notables after: Walker Buehler... pretty weak so far for MLB talent)

2016: Moniak, Senzel, Ian Anderson, Riley Pint, Corey Ray, AJ Puk, Braxton Garrett, Cal Quantrill

Actually after typing that all out I'm not sure I proved the point I was looking to make... Baseball seems to be a crapshoot in all ways. lol. 1st picks, 3rd picks, 8th picks... they're all over the place. It does appear that talent drops off somewhat after 10 picks though.

I'll end this long post with a different thought process than I started... Let's win games, but let's stay in Tier 2 -- somewhere in a top 7 pick. The following year we need to make a leap though. We need to play .500 baseball at some point to start attracting FA's if we want to win in 2020 or 2021.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, greg775 said:

I will repeat what I said recently. Forbes magazine said the White Sox franchise has a gross of $260 million dollars. The 2018 payroll is $60 million dollars.  The 2019 payroll will be less than the 2018 payroll. Even with other expenses this franchise is very profitable. There are at least 3 groups of people that want to buy the White Sox. The major reason why they want to buy the team is simply because they can make money.

7 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I will repeat what I said recently. Forbes magazine said the White Sox franchise has a gross of $260 million dollars. The 2018 payroll is $60 million dollars.  The 2019 payroll will be less than the 2018 payroll. Even with other expenses this franchise is very profitable. There are at least 3 groups of people that want to buy the White Sox. The major reason why they want to buy the team is simply because they can make money.

We will repeat what we all keep saying, you have very little idea of how money is spent and earned in an MLB setting

36 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

What year did you count Robert's money as part of the payroll?

39 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Forbes also wrote they made $30 million in profit. Whether that is accurate or not, we really don't know. But back in the day, they used to raise the payroll pretty close to the amount Forbes said was their profit.

51 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

And they spent $230 million.  Any reason you keep leaving that off?

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Forbes also wrote they made $30 million in profit. Whether that is accurate or not, we really don't know. But back in the day, they used to raise the payroll pretty close to the amount Forbes said was their profit.

Which was tied for 12th in all of baseball last year.  Talk about obscene.

For perspectives sake, the Cubs made $102 million last year, in profit.

46 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Can't even open a thread these days without seeing people upset that the White Sox are a profitable business. 

I'm not the least bit upset that the White Sox are a  profitable business. I'm glad they're making money. If they weren't making money the franchise would be moved out of state.  I'm  upset with this ownership/management team. The team hasn't had a winning season since 2012. I sure don't see things getting better soon. This losing year after year is  terrible.

Whether you want to think they are cheap or not, if you're a White Sox fan, you should want them to make as much as possible these days so they have the funds to keep it going if the winning ever commences, because consistent winning gets really expensive quickly. And there's no guarantee the turnstiles will be humming when that happens.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I'm not the least bit upset that the White Sox are a  profitable business. I'm glad they're making money. If they weren't making money the franchise would be moved out of state.  I'm  upset with this ownership/management team. The team hasn't had a winning season since 2012. I sure don't see things getting better soon. This losing year after year is  terrible.

Whether this is the right management team to lead the rebuilding efforts is up for debate, but blaming them for losing right now demonstrates a lack of intelligence as losing comes with the plan.  I really hope that's not what you're suggesting.

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Whether this is the right management team to lead the rebuilding efforts is up for debate, but blaming them for losing right now demonstrates a lack of intelligence as losing comes with the plan.  I really hope that's not what you're suggesting.

While losing right now may be understood, I would also add that the fans have every right to be pissed about it. The losing in 2018 is a direct result of choices the White Sox were making in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, and the people who made those choices have suffered no consequences. By the end of 2016, Rick Hahn didn't just deserve to be fired, he deserved to be tarred and feathered. After the Shields trade people should have been burning Rick Hahn in effigy. The only reason they weren't is that after so much ineptitude, nobody really cared any more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1