Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

That number is complete bullshit as it relates to cost opportunity and FA. I don't know even why it's used. McCutchen was worth around 3 WAR last year he is not getting paid 27 million.

He put up 2.6 last year and over the past 3 seasons total he has put up 7.4, so 2.4-2.5 is literally "exactly what he's been doing the last few years with no decline". If you factor in a little bit of decline, then the Phillies just spent $50 million for something like 6 projected WAR. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't buy the specifics of it. Just a lot of smoke about the Sox being quietly confident from various posters

Actual true story: A good friend of mine from college works in the front office of an NBA team, and he told me they would never tell anything to anyone outside of upper management until the ink was basically dry. 

7 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Not to be that guy so when I say take it FWIW, I mean TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, but my coworker's sister works for the Sox and said that the Sox have told their office people to contact all of the Chicago teams to get jerseys ready for Harper and Machado and they were evidently all asked to take small pay cuts to make these moves...yes, MOVES... easier.

Man, no offense, but that is really hard to believe 

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Phillies have McCutchen, Odubel, Alther (sp) and Nick Williams in the OF. I'm not too familiar with the last 3 other than Odubel had a great start to last year but finished flat, and the other two were hot on and off. 

Seems to me that they'd be out on Harper with this move and would look to shore up other positions, but I guess if they have tons of money...

Yeah those last 2 definitely shouldn't block a Harper move. Plus they can deal any of the 3 I suppose.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Not to be that guy so when I say take it FWIW, I mean TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, but my coworker's sister works for the Sox and said that the Sox have told their office people to contact all of the Chicago teams to get jerseys ready for Harper and Machado and they were evidently all asked to take small pay cuts to make these moves...yes, MOVES... easier.

This is obviously fake, but I can't tell if you made this up to be funny or if somebody actually told you that. If you made it "coworker's sister's mailman", then it would have been a dead giveaway for you just being funny.

14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Who take pay cuts harper and machado

Just now, Balta1701 said:

He put up 2.6 last year and over the past 3 seasons total he has put up 7.4, so 2.4-2.5 is literally "exactly what he's been doing the last few years with no decline". If you factor in a little bit of decline, then the Phillies just spent $50 million for something like 6 projected WAR. 

That only works if you throw in a sinker like McCutchen did in 2016. You take the average of the last two years and normalize it to 650 PA you end up with 3 WAR. In any case there will be even more extreme examples as FA goes along

9 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Honestly cannot even tell if this is pure sarcasm.

Christ, you all thought I was serious? Between all of this shit and Peavy44's nonsense, I just had to be an asshole. I mean, why don't we all just stop trusting our aunt's cousin's friend's dead grandpa and let it play out. Unless Kurkjian, Olney, etc say it, it isn't done.

What's next, an update on where Harper took a piss?

• Love 1

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

That only works if you throw in a sinker like McCutchen did in 2016. You take the average of the last two years and normalize it to 650 PA you end up with 3 WAR. In any case there will be even more extreme examples as FA goes along

So if McCutchen outperforms his projections this could be as cheap as $7 million per fWAR. That's literally exactly what I'm saying - $40 million a year is basically right now a 5-5.5 fWAR player, not 7-10.

• bmags locked this topic