Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

Trade makes no sense. Unless its a favor to Manny with Manny promising to sign here(which does not happen with these guys) basicly getting another palka. But with a higher price tag. If the sox sign machado I don't think Moncada is part of the long term plan.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree with fathom.  This is tremendous news.

I dont understand because rabbit is saying moves like this are just so the Sox can have a seat at the table and appear to be suitable destinations for Manny. He will give us Monday to make our spiel and make us feel good but in the end he will go to the Yankees like most top FAs ever have done. 

1 minute ago, South Sider said:

Sad but true. Why on earth would machado choose us over the yankees? Why would harper choose us over the dodgers? All they have to do is be in the ballpark in terms of $$$ and sox are screwed. Sad but fucking true. Sucks to suck. The rebuild will need to produce multiple world series contendors before we are actually considered for top FAs. Theres a lot of work to do to dig out of the suck hole. 

So the Sox shouldn’t try? What the hell? Maybe it means they have to get a dude’s wife’s brother as well but so what? 

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Read this post, noting the author if you hate this.

This is the White Sox doing literally every thing they can to win this. If they go down, they are going down swinging.  I can't ask anymore of them.

Precisely. 

What the hell is wrong with you people?

• Like 4

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I know it's Nightengale, but nobody comments on the idea that we want to pull a Phillies and sign both of the whales? Given that he's usually a FO mouthpiece, I haven't been able to figure out why they wanted him to tweet that.

Just now, EvilJester99 said:

Fathom being optimistic is kind of scaring me.. 

Fathom knows we're gonna sign both.

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

Trade makes no sense. Unless its a favor to Manny with Manny promising to sign here(which does not happen with these guys) basicly getting another palka. But with a higher price tag. If the sox sign machado I don't think Moncada is part of the long term plan.

They can’t trade him now, that’s for sure...they simply would try to max out his value and open the spot for a Madrigal, but there’s nothing to say he couldn’t play CF with Jimenez in LF and Robert in RF, other than his history of nagging injuries like the hamstring.

A Machado signing and Jimenez up takes all the pressure to save the franchise off his back.

Just now, iamshack said:

Precisely. 

What the hell is wrong with you people?

I think it's because so many people got obsessed with Harper (who still could be in play), but every sign besides what was reported in the media is that Machado has always been their main target.  I know most of us don't trust the front office, but Hahn would have to be a true idiot to do this deal without talking with Manny's agent beforehand.  

3 minutes ago, G&T said:

So the Sox shouldn’t try? What the hell? Maybe it means they have to get a dude’s wife’s brother as well but so what? 

Absolutely they should try because you cant win if you dont play. But in reality the most likely scenarios are the Sox land neither.

If the master plan is to sign both, you may get a real intrigue from the guys by communicating this plan. They probably have better odds of getting one of them if they do try to get both.

Edited by South Sider

Just now, daggins said:

I mean, they can try, but they're going to be stuck with a less flexible, more expensive roster with less prospects and no Harper/Machado.

Right this is articulating the down side well. This asset happens to align with the most redundant part of our fringe-ready prospects.

But, it is anathema to our strategy overall so it’s certainly a big, positive story on the Machado front.

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE
  • Tony unpinned this topic