yesterday333

Manny: Enter the Panic Room

17 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Some have suggested the longer it goes on the better it is looking for the Sox but I am of the opposite opinion. The longer it goes on the more it seems Manny really wants to go to NY and is just waiting for the Yankees to make a good offer he could accept.

This is my fear as well.

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Did south side Sox actually bite on that fake passan tweet? The heck is going on over there?

He did.  I @ed him on Twitter informing him it was fake, and he deleted the post on SSS.

Edited by DirtySox

Just imagine working in the White Sox marketing department...they will have either the easiest job in the world (or at least fairly easy) or the hardest job convincing anyone to buy season ticket packages or corporate sponsors to jump back on board the bandwagon, depending on how all this plays out with Machado and Harper.

Three months of almost unabated excitement and anticipation, or the Evil Eye of Sauron descending on the fanbase.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

He did.  I @ed him on Twitter informing him it was fake, and he deleted the post on SSS.

What did the fake Passan tweet say and what did SSS write accordingly?  Really wish I didn’t miss this article.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What did the fake Passan tweet say and what did SSS write accordingly?  Really wish I didn’t miss this article.

It's just a tweet saying MM is nearing a 6-year, $210M deal with the Chicago White Sox. It's Jef Passan with one f, and it has 5 followers. It's very easy to find. I'm refraining from posting it here.  SSS's article pretty much posted this tweet with a brief blurb about how a signing is near. SSS then deleted it after being informed he was sourcing an obvious fake.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Do we think we will know something by Sunday night?

Many things. Maybe some of them will even involve Manny Machado.

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just imagine working in the White Sox marketing department...they will have either the easiest job in the world (or at least fairly easy) or the hardest job convincing anyone to buy season ticket packages or corporate sponsors to jump back on board the bandwagon, depending on how all this plays out with Machado and Harper.

Three months of almost unabated excitement and anticipation, or the Evil Eye of Sauron descending on the fanbase.

Season tickets are the least of the concerns. If the front office can not deliver, I think they will be very hard pressed to convince fans that this rebuild will actually work. 

I always try to remain optimistic, but this is a pivotal moment for the franchise that they cannot let slip away. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Many things. Maybe some of them will even involve Manny Machado.

Smart ass. Will we know if Manny Machado will be signed by the White Sox by Sunday night?

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Smart ass. Will we know if Manny Machado will be signed by the White Sox by Sunday night?

As if anyone knows at this point.

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Eerily quiet right now. The calm before the storm.

I’ve felt this way too, not much chatter or new info and a lot of repeated old reports, hopefully it picks up soon and is over by this weekend but I doubt it

Regardless of what happens at least we know the Sox gave it a hell of a shot. The only thing they could do to win outright is offer way too much money. 

Personally I think We get him. I don’t think the Yankees are sold and I think we’ve done more than philly. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Regardless of what happens at least we know the Sox gave it a hell of a shot. The only thing they could do to win outright is offer way too much money. 

Personally I think We get him. I don’t think the Yankees are sold and I think we’ve done more than philly. 

Have we even heard anything about the philly offer?

6 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

I really think it’s the Sox and Yanks here.

18 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Have we even heard anything about the philly offer?

We haven't...plus they are flying out to Vegas for Harper within 48 hours...they have to shift focus very soon.

If Machado really wants to play for the Phillies, who have wanted him since the middle of last season, then he better make his mind up very, very soon.

Harper meeting could persuade Phillies to turn attention away from Machado | Bob Brookover

https://www.philly.com/phillies/bryce-harper-phillies-las-vegas-manny-machado-john-middleton-mlb-free-agency-20190110.html

If true, you have to think the Phillies are the favorites to sign the 26-year-old superstar infielder, unless Machado really has a burning desire to play with his brother-in-law, Yonder Alonso, and his close friend, Jon Jay, both of whom have joined the Chicago White Sox this offseason.

Know this: If Machado really wants to play for the Phillies, who have wanted him since the middle of last season, then he better make his mind up very, very soon. If he does not, he is going to allow agent Scott Boras to make his pitch as to why Bryce Harper is the better fit and better player for the Philadelphia Phillies. The meeting between the sides is scheduled for Saturday in Harper’s hometown, Las Vegas.

The second part cannot be argued. Harper is clearly the more-recognizable face and the player more likely to get the phones ringing in the ticket office. According to sportspromedia.com, Harper was the 13th-most marketable athlete in the world last year. He was 22nd on that list in 2017. Machado did not make the list either year. Boras also will argue that Harper will not only improve ticket sales but will drive up television ratings. He is not wrong.

Finally, the Harper landscape has drastically changed. The Nationals are back in the conversation for the player they drafted first overall in 2010. Should they get him, they will be the National League favorite to reach the World Series, even if the Phillies sign Machado. If the Phillies get Harper, they keep him from the Nats. They also make their own lineup more balanced, with Harper serving as the left-handed slugger who complements the right-handed-hitting Rhys Hoskins and Andrew McCutchen.

Edited by caulfield12

Don't worry about a coach. Don't worry about his friends and in laws. It comes down to money, plain and simple. Whoever shows him the most gets him. With that being said, I'm out. Have a good night Sox Talk. Hopefully he signs while I'm asleep lol.

• Like 1

The delicious twist to all this would be the Sox swooping in and signing Harper before Manny signs anywhere. Not that i foresee that as likely, but it would be a massive wrench in da gears

• Like 2