Jump to content
yesterday333

Manny: Nope, still no news

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, mqr said:

How stupid does Mannya camp think everyone is?

Because there is always a chance. No one thought Pujols was going to the Angels until it was announced. No one thought Cano would go to Seattle. No one had Greinke in AZ. 

It just takes one. And if you are an owner and have to overpay, wouldn’t you rather overpay a guy like this vs. someone in the next tier or 2 below? They already have $13 million in, they need to get to the finish line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mqr said:

How stupid does Mannya camp think everyone is?

TBH i'm surprised there aren't more teams. Short of collusion, I don't know why mid-market teams aren't all over this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure there are plenty of mystery teams if he bidding is truly only at $200M (it’s probably not tho). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are machados camp and it’s obvious it’s down to Chicago and Philly you create the idea of a mystery team because at this point you don’t have much more leverage left without another team involved, pretty simple

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I’m not one to get overly optimistic, but this seems like a final effort by Machado’s camp to raise those offers.

Bryce to the Phillies and Manny to the White Sox seems close to me. I personally don’t even think the Phillies are even that in on Manny anymore with their full attention seeming to be on Harper. I think this is a final push to exclusively elevate the Sox offer slightly.

I could see the Sox being at 7-year, $230 million, and this is a final push to get them around 7-year, $250 million.

If it was that close, then you ask Manny Machado's agent what it would take to be done with this and have him in a white sox uniform today, and if he confirms they'd sign for that number you welcome him to the White Sox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

God damn I just want this to be over already one way or another

I won't be able to sleep tonight just waiting for noon tomorrow and the report from NotHahn.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, a "Mystery" team doesn't exist or would have been leaked by now. It's agent-speak for "do I hear 5 million more?". We are in the homestretch, fellas. As Hawk would say, "Sit back, relax and strap it down."

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Saufley said:

I won't be able to sleep tonight just waiting for noon tomorrow and the report from NotHahn.

@NotHahn you gotta dig deep with your source and get the goods. We're dying here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

 

Alright who called the mystery team thing again?

 

5 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

I bet we hear a lot about a mystery team in the next few days. Machado's agent can't have only two teams bidding when one of those teams looks like its about to sign someone else. He probably is going to have one last hail mary mystery team rumor to get the last few million he can. 

What can I say, I'm just that good lol

If this follows my line of thought from the mystery team, Machado probably signs this weekend or Monday. Assuming there isn't actually a mystery team (which I don't think there is), he needs to have the Phillies still in the running so he has to sign before Harper, but he will probably want to hear what Harper is getting offered first to know if he can try to get another increase.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Because there is always a chance. No one thought Pujols was going to the Angels until it was announced. No one thought Cano would go to Seattle. No one had Greinke in AZ. 

It just takes one. And if you are an owner and have to overpay, wouldn’t you rather overpay a guy like this vs. someone in the next tier or 2 below? They already have $13 million in, they need to get to the finish line.

Agree completely.  Also, if the numbers aren't where everyone expected, why wouldn't a team jump in at an unexpected lower number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RudyLawRules said:

IMO, a "Mystery" team doesn't exist or would have been leaked by now. It's agent-speak for "do I hear 5 million more?". We are in the homestretch, fellas. As Hawk would say, "Sit back, relax and strap it down."

Exactly, This means it's almost over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what Heyman was saying yesterday, he thinks he ultimately signs for 8/$240-250 million, which would not be a record in any way. I think a team could sign him tonight  for as little as 7 years if they offered him a record AAV. Face it, that is what this is all about. This is money Manny’s heirs will be squabbling over 50 or 60 years from now. An extra $30 million isn’t going to change his lifestyle, but it would cater to his ego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

Dave said Cards tried a hail mary offer

This is what it probably is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

 

What can I say, I'm just that good lol

If this follows my line of thought from the mystery team, Machado probably signs this weekend or Monday. Assuming there isn't actually a mystery team (which I don't think there is), he needs to have the Phillies still in the running so he has to sign before Harper, but he will probably want to hear what Harper is getting offered first to know if he can try to get another increase.

 

Exactly because if Harper signs tomorrow with Philly and they are out on Machado it will only leave the Whitesox as suitors and it’s a done deal at that point, we are in the final 2 minutes of the 4th quarter folks. Strap it down and get ready!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Nothing will happen over the weekend, right? Especially because of the NFL playoffs?

Maybe Manny wants to prove he is bigger than the NFL playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do people just automatically assume a meeting with Harper = he's signing? They haven't had a face to face meeting with him yet correct? I would be shocked if he signs tomorrow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL is notorious for releasing news on MLB Opening Day. I hope Harper or Machado signs on a Saturday or Sunday during the playoffs. Fuck em.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Tuesday/Wednesday window seems more likely. Boras for one will want full attention, not the big story after the NFL Playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RudyLawRules said:

IMO, a "Mystery" team doesn't exist or would have been leaked by now. It's agent-speak for "do I hear 5 million more?". We are in the homestretch, fellas. As Hawk would say, "Sit back, relax and strap it down."

Could very well be right, but do you gamble that?  If numbers and years are not as high as earlier thought (300 mil and 10 years), you may have a team (like the Cardinals possible hail mary earlier reported) jump in last minute because numbers are low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

From what Heyman was saying yesterday, he thinks he ultimately signs for 8/$240-250 million, which would not be a record in any way. I think a team could sign him tonight  for as little as 7 years if they offered him a record AAV. Face it, that is what this is all about. This is money Manny’s heirs will be squabbling over 50 or 60 years from now. An extra $30 million isn’t going to change his lifestyle, but it would cater to his ego.

$30M is a ton of money. I don’t blame him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SCCWS said:

I think the Tuesday/Wednesday window seems more likely. Boras for one will want full attention, not the big story after the NFL Playoffs. 

Does Boras really care about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Why do people just automatically assume a meeting with Harper = he's signing? They haven't had a face to face meeting with him yet correct? I would be shocked if he signs tomorrow. 

I don't think he signs tomorrow, but from the sound of reports it seems like they are willing to go to a record breaking level with him. The difference between him and Machado is we know he has the Nationals offer as a backup, so teams already know what they have to beat. If the Phillies can beat it he will probably take it back to the Nats to see if he can start a bidding war. It doesn't sound like they will do it, so it seems like the Phillies are going to put the best offer he has seen yet on the table this weekend and its unlikely anyone else will beat it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×