Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bmags

Bob Nightengale Once Again Nails It

Recommended Posts

I can't stop laughing, it's too perfect

 

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.50.55 AM.png

 

For those not on twitter:

Top image: the heavily being retweeted image from Kyler Murray saying he's sticking with football

Bottom image: Bob tweeting out his report that the As are optimistic they will see Kyler in Spring Training

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm remember Kenny W. use to be into drafting athletes. They didn't turn out to be baseball players.  Not a bright move by the A's.  If he becomes an NFL bust I guess he can go back to baseball.

Edited by kitekrazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I'm remember Kenny W. use to be into drafting athletes. They didn't turn out to be baseball players.  Not a bright move by the A's.  If he becomes an NFL bust I guess he can go back to baseball.

We could always see his rights traded, like Russell Wilson. Let's say that Murray goes to the Dolphins. Maybe the Marlins trade for his rights at some point thinking that if he flames out in football, he can try baseball and stay in the same city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

If he becomes an NFL bust I guess he can go back to baseball.

I'm more of the thinking "when"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Yup.  Not too many 5'9" QBs 

Interesting logic- not sure how you feel about Madrigal but I do know that one of the main reasons Keith Law is not a big fan of him is because there aren't too many 5'7 2Bs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Interesting logic- not sure how you feel about Madrigal but I do know that one of the main reasons Keith Law is not a big fan of him is because there aren't too many 5'7 2Bs. 

Not even in the same area code. What does Madrigal have to do with being an NFL QB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Wanne said:

Not even in the same area code. What does Madrigal have to do with being an NFL QB?

It's the idea that an athlete will likely not succeed because more advanced players in their positions are taller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wanne said:

I'm more of the thinking "when"...

Why does he care, he will make a heck of a lot more $$$ (guaranteed) in the NFL, regardless of whether he is a bust or not. Much better than rolling for a YO bet in MLB...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, shago said:

Why does he care, he will make a heck of a lot more $$$ (guaranteed) in the NFL, regardless of whether he is a bust or not. Much better than rolling for a YO bet in MLB...

Average NFL career about 3.4 years.

He's like a combination of Flutie and Vick...hes not as fast as Vick, but he's a much more accurate passer.

With Mayfields success, should easily go 8~12 in first round.   How much guaranteed money is that?   Plus no minor leagues, buses, junk food diets, etc.  He loves to be in control of everything on the field, whereas C.F. is more passive/less engaging. 

A' s not exactly a premiere destination, I think he eventually ends up with the Rangers because of his Texas roots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, shago said:

Why does he care, he will make a heck of a lot more $$$ (guaranteed) in the NFL, regardless of whether he is a bust or not. Much better than rolling for a YO bet in MLB...

One FA contract in MLB could very well obliterate his entire career earnings in the NFL. There's a reason NFL players always get mad when baseball players sign contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Quin said:

One FA contract in MLB could very well obliterate his entire career earnings in the NFL. There's a reason NFL players always get mad when baseball players sign contracts.

He’s a very raw baseball player, he will almost certainly make more in NFL. Backup QBs still make around 8 mill per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I'm remember Kenny W. use to be into drafting athletes. They didn't turn out to be baseball players.  Not a bright move by the A's.  If he becomes an NFL bust I guess he can go back to baseball.

The odds of a raw player missing years of development and becoming an MLB player are really low. Players can leave baseball and be successful (Danny Ainge, Jay Schroeder) in other sports can happen but taking up baseball later doesn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Quin said:

One FA contract in MLB could very well obliterate his entire career earnings in the NFL. There's a reason NFL players always get mad when baseball players sign contracts.

It would take some time though. And baseball requires more skill and theres a good chance he could fail as a ball player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Average NFL career about 3.4 years.

He's like a combination of Flutie and Vick...hes not as fast as Vick, but he's a much more accurate passer.

With Mayfields success, should easily go 8~12 in first round.   How much guaranteed money is that?   Plus no minor leagues, buses, junk food diets, etc.  He loves to be in control of everything on the field, whereas C.F. is more passive/less engaging. 

A' s not exactly a premiere destination, I think he eventually ends up with the Rangers because of his Texas roots.

Totally irrelevant stat in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It would take some time though. And baseball requires more skill and theres a good chance he could fail as a ball player.

No doubt he could fail. But he could just as easily suffer one big injury in football and be out of the league in four years. He could end up like RG3.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Quin said:

No doubt he could fail. But he could just as easily suffer one big injury in football and be out of the league in four years. He could end up like RG3.

 

But his guaranteed money from his (likely) first round deal would exceed that of his guaranteed money from baseball. And the likelihood of him getting a second, even backup, deal from football is greater than baseball.

I can't think of a recent first round pick that didn't get additional contracts. Even RG3 did, adding to his money total. Plus RG3 got some very good sponsorship deals.

Yeah actually even RGIII has made $30 mill in his career. I would put the likelihood of his earnings in the nfl being greater than football at a much higher percentage likelihood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Interesting logic- not sure how you feel about Madrigal but I do know that one of the main reasons Keith Law is not a big fan of him is because there aren't too many 5'7 2Bs. 

Pretty sure that Madrigal doesn't have any offensive linemen to try to look over to succeed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Average NFL career about 3.4 years.

He's like a combination of Flutie and Vick...hes not as fast as Vick, but he's a much more accurate passer.

With Mayfields success, should easily go 8~12 in first round.   How much guaranteed money is that?   Plus no minor leagues, buses, junk food diets, etc.  He loves to be in control of everything on the field, whereas C.F. is more passive/less engaging. 

A' s not exactly a premiere destination, I think he eventually ends up with the Rangers because of his Texas roots.

Baker Mayfield has nothing to do with Murray's draft destination 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Baker Mayfield has nothing to do with Murray's draft destination 

To be fair, Herbie was on espn yesterday saying how Oklahoma’s offense prepared Kyler to potentially excel in NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fathom said:

To be fair, Herbie was on espn yesterday saying how Oklahoma’s offense prepared Kyler to potentially excel in NFL.

That doesn't change the fact that Mayfields success has zero to do with Murray.   If Mayfield bombed this year, we wouldn't be saying "well he should probably be a 3-5th round pick now", that is ridiculous.  Different players, different styles, different overall game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

To be fair, Herbie was on espn yesterday saying how Oklahoma’s offense prepared Kyler to potentially excel in NFL.

I think the last few years teams have absolutely been shifting on the "CW" ideology on prototypical QBs and what's needed.

Here's a good warren sharp thread 

The tweets above it are even better but that's a lot of work and I'm not @Sleepy Harold level yet

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Quin said:

No doubt he could fail. But he could just as easily suffer one big injury in football and be out of the league in four years. He could end up like RG3.

 

RG3 is still playing, he just signed a contract with the Ravens, I believe. If he shows any talent, he will be a backup for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×