Jump to content
Dick Allen

The Anderson Saga (continued from game thread)

Recommended Posts

All I got to say is Timmy really crushed that baseball.  When you see the swing from the mound view you just knew and so did everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 6:04 AM, Flythesock said:

Pitchers simply cannot be allowed to behave like psychopathic troglodytes when the whim should strike them. There must be consequences.

In baseball's unwritten rules the pitcher has to retaliate in certain instances. I'm not sure if the manager actually orders it or says "you know what you need to do." Cause if the player got seriously injured the manager probably wouldnt' want to go to jail for life if the pitcher turned him in for ordering the hit batsman. But it's not all the pitcher's fault. He's basically ordered to retaliate in baseball lore. If you hit Abreu after he homers, you better believe the Sox have to hit one of the opponents in retaliation (most of the time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

In baseball's unwritten rules the pitcher has to retaliate in certain instances. I'm not sure if the manager actually orders it or says "you know what you need to do." Cause if the player got seriously injured the manager probably wouldnt' want to go to jail for life if the pitcher turned him in for ordering the hit batsman. But it's not all the pitcher's fault. He's basically ordered to retaliate in baseball lore. If you hit Abreu after he homers, you better believe the Sox have to hit one of the opponents in retaliation (most of the time).

Ok. Baseball's new unwritten rules say that shit is over.

You can't say I'm wrong cause they're unwritten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the bat toss any more inflammatory than guys who hit doubles and then have some elaborate gesture that they make to the guys in the dugout? I know I've seen teams doing this in recent years. I think the Cubs were doing it a few years ago.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all about the virtue of temperance and sportsmanship. A little celebration is ok but shouldn't be taken too far (as 5 minute dances and skits in the NFL), and it also depends on the circumstance and intention. Circumstance in that the celebration after winning a championship is different then a player hitting a double. Intention in that if a player taunts the other team it is not sportsmanship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

This is all about the virtue of temperance and sportsmanship. A little celebration is ok but shouldn't be taken too far (as 5 minute dances and skits in the NFL), and it also depends on the circumstance and intention. Circumstance in that the celebration after winning a championship is different then a player hitting a double. Intention in that if a player taunts the other team it is not sportsmanship.

Flipping/throwing your bat and yelling towards your teammates is not taunting the other team, nothing Anderson did was directed towards anyone on the Royals.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 2:26 PM, ptatc said:

No I don't expect him to know about it. That isn't the issue. The issue is should the hitter celebrate every home run or hit they get. My point is they should celebrate a big moment in the game. If the pitcher retaliates by hitting a hitter, he should be punished. 

I don't think it's stupid at all. celebrate important things not the mundane. Hitting a home run happens 5,000 times during a baseball season, Anderson will probably do it 25 times this season. That is not worth celebrating.

I understand your point but in sports today, that is not the case. As many have mentioned, every touchdown turns  into a celebration these days. Most dunks gets a player doing a face and scream  to the camera under the basket. Remember in hockey when a player scored a goal and the players on the ice celebrated. They still do. But someone started the 2nd phase  which is to skate by the bench so they can get involved. 

So looking at sports today, celebrating a homerun is really no different than what they are doing in all the other major sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

This is all about the virtue of temperance and sportsmanship. A little celebration is ok but shouldn't be taken too far (as 5 minute dances and skits in the NFL), and it also depends on the circumstance and intention. Circumstance in that the celebration after winning a championship is different then a player hitting a double. Intention in that if a player taunts the other team it is not sportsmanship.

I think the solution is simple: make a rule.  Clearly define what is and is not acceptable behavior.  Then, if, in the judgment of the umpire, a player has acted in an unsportsmanlike manner, they should receive something akin to a technical foul.  Maybe they get tossed from the game or fined or something.  The other team should not be the arbiter and the punishment should not be a projectile hurled at them.  That’s like if, instead of a free throw, in basketball the other team got to whip the ball at a guy.  It’s barbaric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A buddy of mine who is a diehard Cubs fan and generally has had nothing nice to say about the White Sox randomly told me last night that Tim Anderson is now his favorite White Sox player.  Seems like most baseball fans across the country (below ~40 in age) love that Tim plays with emotion and isn’t going to change because some bully with a baseball tells him otherwise.  It’s really nice to see it’s not just Sox fans getting behind this.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last post was not directed at Anderson specifically.

"The South Side, we're different. We're different over here. It's a grinder side. We want to go out and attack. You expect to hustle. And we're moving forward. We're going to rise up today and carry those South Siders. Let em know" - Tim Anderson in spring training.

He is a major impact on this team. I like him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any problem with celebrations; I just think there is a time and place to do it., And having said that, I think throwing at Anderson was bush.

Back in 1969, many opponents hated Ron Santo's heel clicking. But he did that after the game, and the Cubs had won. Santo was far from my favorite person, but Cub fans enjoyed it. But imagine if he did that on the way to the dugout after a home run. That would be a bit much.

I have no problem with Anderson's intensity. But intensity needs to be channeled. He has the talent to be a great player, and I wouldn't want anything diverting him from achieving that goal. Remember, the Sox lost this game.

Finally, all these celebrations are getting boring. Play the damn game already.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I don't have any problem with celebrations; I just think there is a time and place to do it., And having said that, I think throwing at Anderson was bush.

Back in 1969, many opponents hated Ron Santo's heel clicking. But he did that after the game, and the Cubs had won. Santo was far from my favorite person, but Cub fans enjoyed it. But imagine if he did that on the way to the dugout after a home run. That would be a bit much.

I have no problem with Anderson's intensity. But intensity needs to be channeled. He has the talent to be a great player, and I wouldn't want anything diverting him from achieving that goal. Remember, the Sox lost this game.

Finally, all these celebrations are getting boring. Play the damn game already.

Good post. This is how I feel as well. 

MLB has endorsed doing whatever you want, and that's an adjustment I need to make. I won't be entertained by it because that's not what I like about the game, but that's beside the point.

So the players need to get on the same page and let the players do whatever they want short of taunting the opponent. Whether they need to define that--like no eye contact with the opponent or yelling at a guy, I don't know. But Tim did only express his pleasure toward his own team, so Keller, Maldonado, and the Royals should have let it go. The throwing at a player needs to be curbed way back. There probably will always be a time where it happens by competitive men, but it needs to happen less often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A buddy of mine who is a diehard Cubs fan and generally has had nothing nice to say about the White Sox randomly told me last night that Tim Anderson is now his favorite White Sox player.  Seems like most baseball fans across the country (below ~40 in age) love that Tim plays with emotion and isn’t going to change because some bully with a baseball tells him otherwise.  It’s really nice to see it’s not just Sox fans getting behind this.

The reaction on this board is disproportionate to what I've seen online. Tim Anderson has been making a name for himself of a national scale in an overwhelmingly positive way. Both baseball fans and non-baseball fans adore him right now. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A buddy of mine who is a diehard Cubs fan and generally has had nothing nice to say about the White Sox randomly told me last night that Tim Anderson is now his favorite White Sox player.  Seems like most baseball fans across the country (below ~40 in age) love that Tim plays with emotion and isn’t going to change because some bully with a baseball tells him otherwise.  It’s really nice to see it’s not just Sox fans getting behind this.

Hey there are a few of us over 40 crowd (way over ) that say celebrate whenever you want. Life is too short. Be happy in the moment, any moment. Celebrate life. A really good hitter fails 7 of 10 times so live it up when you succeed while you can.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never knew so many white people had options about how we, black people, use the N Word. So many bad takes out there pouring in from so many dumb people in and out of the game. 

If you haven’t read Micah Johnson’s take, I advise you to. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 7:31 AM, Chisox378 said:

This is all about the virtue of temperance and sportsmanship. A little celebration is ok but shouldn't be taken too far (as 5 minute dances and skits in the NFL), and it also depends on the circumstance and intention. Circumstance in that the celebration after winning a championship is different then a player hitting a double. Intention in that if a player taunts the other team it is not sportsmanship.

This is all bullshit.  All of it.   You should be able to celebrate more when you hit a home run, not less.  This is a game and people should have fun, they shouldn't be guided by bullshit unwritten rules and "temperance and sportsmanship" concepts that only apply when someone gets their feelings hurt because they happened to suck at that moment

this game should be fun to watch not some polite display of 1950s "sportsmanship"

  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is all bullshit.  All of it.   You should be able to celebrate more when you hit a home run, not less.  This is a game and people should have fun, they shouldn't be guided by bullshit unwritten rules and "temperance and sportsmanship" concepts that only apply when someone gets their feelings hurt because they happened to suck at that moment

this game should be fun to watch not some polite display of 1950s "sportsmanship"

So showing someone up and taunting them is ok?

Allowing too much celebrattion is going to get tempers flaring too, there will be a negative revenge factor. Maybe we should let the players box after the game?

I'd rather watch a classy game where players are humble than some sort of theatrical show.

If I was a player I would never have time to throw a bat, I'd be running too hard to first base.

Edited by Chisox378
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:
48 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is all bullshit.  All of it.   You should be able to celebrate more when you hit a home run, not less.  This is a game and people should have fun, they shouldn't be guided by bullshit unwritten rules and "temperance and sportsmanship" concepts that only apply when someone gets their feelings hurt because they happened to suck at that moment

this game should be fun to watch not some polite display of 1950s "sportsmanship"

It will get pretty silly if all hitters decided to celebrate their home runs before running around the bases. Besides baseball said Tim wasn't suspended for throwing the bat, but for saying something while going to first after he got hit. In the NL, do pitchers get hit when they excessively celebrate a strikeout? There shouldn't be a double standard in the unwritten rules. If you don't hit the reliever who rarely steps to the plate, then I guess you have to hit the catcher to prove your point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

So showing someone up and taunting them is ok?

Allowing too much celebrattion is going to get tempers flaring too, there will be a negative revenge factor. Maybe we should let the players box after the game?

I'd rather watch a classy game where players are humble than some sort of theatrical show.

If I was a player I would never have time to throw a bat, I'd be running too hard to first base.

Classy and humble pitchers who pump their fists and stare down players after they get the final out of a inning.  It's a meaningless inning why do they do that?  Who fucking cares, have fun

classy players who drive in a run and do the monster horns on their helmet at first towards their dugout.  It's a meaningless April game why do they do that?  Who fucking cares, have fun

classy outfielders who make a great diving catch and jump up and jump bump the right fielder on the way in to the dugout.   It's a meaningless April game why do they do that?  Who fucking cares, have fun.

your idea of "temperance and sportsmanship" is outdated and sucks.   I'm sure you can find a men's softball rec league that follows your idea of class.   Actually you can't, I play it and we have a lot of fun.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hey there are a few of us over 40 crowd (way over ) that say celebrate whenever you want. Life is too short. Be happy in the moment, any moment. Celebrate life. A really good hitter fails 7 of 10 times so live it up when you succeed while you can.

I didn’t mean any ill-will or to suggest all people over 40 believe in the unwritten rules.  It was more an observation that the younger fans across the country (regardless of team affiliation) seem to be supporting Tim which is cool IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t mean any ill-will or to suggest all people over 40 believe in the unwritten rules.  It was more an observation that the younger fans across the country (regardless of team affiliation) seem to be supporting Tim which is cool IMO.

My problem is the uneven enforcement of when people should be allowed to celebrate.   It's total bullshit, a homerun is the best possible thing a hitter can do and people are like "nah,  not cool to be excited".  Fuck that 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

My problem is the uneven enforcement of when people should be allowed to celebrate.   It's total bullshit, a homerun is the best possible thing a hitter can do and people are like "nah,  not cool to be excited".  Fuck that 

I think baseball players have made it clear they will continue to enforce the unwritten rules. If Timmy does that again, look for him to get hit again. Then depending on how he reacts will determine if there's a fight or not and suspensions. I'm not sure why players allow guys who hit doubles to look in the dugout and do the horns on the helmet. I would think that's equally deserving of getting hit the next time up.

One thing I noticed in the Robin era the Sox didn't do a lot of retaliating for one of their players getting hit. I haven't noticed in the Ricky era much cause I've pretty much lost interest and am wasting my MLB subscription money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×