Sox @ Orioles Gamethread, 4/23 6:05 CDT (Nova vs. Cashner)

Greg Hibbard

Different lineup but I like it. Leury needed the day off

1. Yoan Moncada 3B 2. Tim Anderson SS 3. Jose Abreu 1B 4. Yonder Alonso DH 5. Welington Castillo C 6. Nicky Delmonico LF 7. Ryan Cordell RF 8. Yolmer Sanchez 2B 9. Adam Engel CF

Edited by Jose Abreu

48 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Different lineup but I like it. Leury needed the day off

1. Yoan Moncada 3B 2. Tim Anderson SS 3. Jose Abreu 1B 4. Yonder Alonso DH 5. Welington Castillo C 6. Nicky Delmonico LF 7. Ryan Cordell RF 8. Yolmer Sanchez 2B 9. Adam Engel CF

I wouldn't mind Alonso getting a day off tomorrow (Delmonico DH) to watch what a defensive OF defense of: LF Leury CF Engel RF Cordell could do for a game.

I was looking at Tim in the 2 hole and it just hit me at how much improvement he has made with plate discipline.  He has been laying off so many pitches out of the zone that he used to flail at.  I know he won't hit .400 but man how exciting it is how much he has improved and he is still so young!!

20 minutes ago, wegner said:

I was looking at Tim in the 2 hole and it just hit me at how much improvement he has made with plate discipline.  He has been laying off so many pitches out of the zone that he used to flail at.  I know he won't hit .400 but man how exciting it is how much he has improved and he is still so young!!

He's keeping a strong backside on the offspeed stuff. Sliders that he would roll over last year he's hitting where they're pitched this year. I hope it's more than just a streak and he's made some meaningful improvements because god damn is he gifted as an athlete. Clearly has put on strength this year. We are seeing him develop physically at the least.

Long term, he is probably a #6-#9 hitter on a playoff team but with this roster, he should be at the top of the order getting as many looks as possible. OBP be damned. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wegner said:

He's such a freak that it was only a matter of time before he found an approach that worked and I really hope this is it. 

They fact that he is absolutely crushing sliders this year makes me feel that he's turned a very real corner. 

• Like 2